Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Haha. Why would it be? Think for yourself.

1. It’s a government job.

2. It’s a job that has a very fixed remit in terms of the sort of matters you deal with.

That said, if you do want to cruise through life and make a decent fist of it, I would recommend the JAG. Good postings, little to no work pressure, army benefits without the real edge of life stuff you may encounter in other units (lesser respect in the forces as a result).

If you really want to have some fun, I would recommend Navy JAG. Even better postings on offer than fauj.

I come from a fauji family, work in the corporate sector, and have more than three friends who ended up in JAG.
Buddy, it seems simple for folks like us, since we come from that background. But not for a lot of civilian population.

Our initial batch of 10 was reduced to 2 since others left during training or even before that. Couldn't handle the grind or had different ideas about how things would be.

Listen OP. Getting in is a bit tough. Since SSB is unlike any other competitive exam. It's a personality based exam & therefore you can't be a 100% certain you'll clear it despite preparing beforehand. But it's definitely something I would recommend going through for the experience.

Second, a lot of people have the misconception that since you're an advocate in the army you will not be subject to the daily routines of army. That's where they are wrong. Irrespective of whether you're a lawyer or engineer. You will always be a soldier first. Therefore, initially you will be subject to the same training and experience in the academy that others go through. There will be no exception. Only benefit is that your training is for a year, not more.

Third, discipline is the key to the organisation. For some people who have not lived that life, it does become hard with the RoPs & SoPs to follow. I literally saw a GC question/argue as to why we have to salute a senior & say Jai Hind.

Fourth, you will be attached with a forward unit initially, i.e. posted in the field, but that's for a short duration. Later on you will have posting in much better peaceful places. But if you love the physical grind and have age by your side, you can definitely try for the para/special forces.

Five, you will definitely be set for life with the retirement pension, medical support and canteen facilities. Plus the honour of wearing a uniform. The benefits are definitely worth it.

Six, you should definitely try, if you want. However don't have lofty ideals. In the end, it's an organisation and JAG is not the top most unit when it comes to unsaid customary hierarchy. It's more like an added service.

Seven, even if you get through, it's a short service and if you feel like leaving, you can chose not to opt for permanent commission. The experience in army will boost your CV & will give you 5 year exemption in lots of competitive exams. I've had batchmates leave & go join the courts, do an MBA abroad, IIMs, one even cracked the civil service exam with the exemption. Upto you.

All in all. It's a great service to be a part of. All the best.
how many vacancies are there per year at army, navy and air force JAG?
I would suggest joining as JAG, then leaving either after 2 years with a rank of Captain or after 6 years with a rank of Major. Then doing an MBA at IIM or ISB (you will get preference) then making good money and getting good retirement benefits. One of the cool benefits is that you get to be a member of army clubs, which have great sports facilities and dirt cheap restaurants. I know because my uncle is a member of the army club in Kolkata and has taken me there many times.
Wait what? wdym "leave after 2 years" and get retirement benefits? Isn't there a certain time period one has to serve to claim pension etc.?
There is. Afaik pension benefits kick in only after you’ve served for a period of 20 years. JAG recruits are taken in on SSC for 10 years which can be further extended to PC for a 4 year period. So imo, you will fall short of the requisite service period through this route. You cannot quit at random without paying a hefty sum, this is not a corporate job.
You have to have a service period of 10 years to entail any benefits. You can't just get up & leave one fine day.
Please do not join the army if you plan to leave in 4-5 years. You will not be entitled to any benefits and you will not get age relaxation reservation. It need to be a ten year service.
There are barely any vacancies in navy jag. When do they select/hire? What’s the process?