Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
I find it extremely difficult to digest sometimes that ABS scholarships are only provided to rank 1-15. It should be at least 1-50. What y’all think ?
ABS scholarship is a scholarship for the privileged. They uplift the uplifted. The reason why ABS considers the top 20 of top law schools is because they want only general category students to apply for it. Usually there will not be any OBC student in the top 20, leave aside SC or ST. Even after applying, ABS offers scholarship to people only from T-1 cities who come from privileged backgrounds. ( you can do your own research and find out) So if you are someone who believes that u need the ABS scholarship in order to relieve your family from a burden then it's not for you.

To answer your question, they won't extend it to 50 because then many OBC students will start become eligible
I cant believe someone would come up with this argument.

ABS chooses the top 20 of some NLUs therefore values Merit over anything else.

"usually there will be no OBC/ SC/ ST student in the top 20"- But there could be some, and there have been and ABS doesn't disqualify them, it impartially chooses merit. If an SC student studies hard and reads GK regularly, nothing stops them from coming in the top 20, making them eligible on merit.
Why else will an organization want to take the top 20 from the top colleges? What if someone ranks 30 in CLAT. If they choose NLS then they are not eligible but if they choose Nalsar then they are eligible. So, an SC/ST/OBC kid with a rank of around 120 will get admission in NLS and will become ineligible for the scholarship whereas a general category student with a rank of 121 will go to NALSAR and will become eligible for the scholarship!

If ABS wanted meritorious students then they would have asked for applications from all the students have a rank below 100 or 150 or 200 for that matter. If someone is asking for applications from only the top CLAT rankers from a particular university then there cannot be any other reason
Hello, out of place comment, but via MHCET I got into Ils, leaving it after the 1st sem for nliu bhopal bscllb. Was it a fair choice considering peers, academics and future placements?
By that measures, selecting students for placements on the basis of ranks by law firms is also privileged
No! suppose the cutoff of NLS is 100 for the general category. So, if someone from SC/ST/OBC gets a rank of around 110 then they will get admission to NLS, and let's assume that they take admission to NLS then they become ineligible for the scholarship whereas a general category student with a rank of around 110 will go to NALSAR and become eligible. So what does this say about the intentions of the screening process?

In the case of law firms, its different a topper at NUJS won't be eligible to sit for placements at NALSAR so a topper at NUJS irrespective of category will be eligible and get a good job!
Nothing is stopping a gurjar, a jat, a tribal or a dalit from performing. Ambedkar was a scholar par excellence, was he not? UPSC AIR 1 Kanishk Kataria was SC. The scholarship is identity blind, and even as someone who narrowly misses it's cutoff, I don't resent it. I respect them for valuing merit and competence over anything else.
You mean that merit that comes out of being able to use father's money to pay hefty coaching fees? Once again, merit can only be compared between two people who have been given equal opportunities from birth, not otherwise.
I am in a top 3 NLU and did not take any coaching at all. There are many like me, even in NLS.

Coaching industry is brainwashing you into hyperinflating it's relevance. I attended a normal middle class school and wrote CLAT and did well.

There are hundreds if not thousands of reserved people who spent lakhs on coaching thanks to their IAS/IPS/judge/misc govt employee parent and come to class with the latest iDevices, much richer than I or my friends, with no disadvantage from birth.

It is getting to the point where despite not wanting to believe this, I am wondering if the reserved candidates are somehow genetically deficient in intelligence? What else can explain their lackluster performance given the greatest statutory and economic advantage?
The fact that you do not understand or recognise your privilege simply means you should spend more time studying and less on LI. You have idea how many meritorious students do not get the opportunities because of caste and similar related discrimination.
Well it is a private scholarship to feign charity. I have always felt that it should be need based, seeing kids with super rich parents greeting this scholarship over poorer kids who missed the opportunity by a rank or two is saddening.

Maybe what we really need is for the government to set limit on random increases in fee, so that students dint have to rely on loans so much.
As position 48 (by CLAT rank order) in a top 3 NLU, this hurts, but this is the way of the world, I suppose.
It should solely be a merit and means based scholarship. Currently most of the so called "scholars" have parental incomes in the range of 18L, 36L etc (See IDIA NLU Diversity Reports for this). Scholarships should be open to non NLUs as well. CAN foundation also provides scholarship to NLU students and most NLUs have substantial financial aid in place already.
so what if there parents are earning 18L or 36L or 1 crore for that matter? Cant their meritorious hardworking children relieve them of the stress of such high payments.
so the parents can fund the education without it being a burden compared to those students who actually need the scholarship.
Im a bottom rank student from an unknown college but SAM denied by job application but gave it to you who already hails from a well to do family. Would you give me your job, because I actually need it?
ABS is a illogical scheme in the first place, it has to be awarded only to the underprivileged people. I have seen so many people in GNLU who are ABS scholars and end up becoming rock band members, having regard for the law career.