Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
I will be joining Jindal this year or probably GNLU. I was in a Tier-3 NLU till now (before that sls for a few months) . In fact as per my rank I am getting MNLU Mumbai as well . But I am not happy at all. The more I research about these aspects , I feel I should give another attempt for NLSIU or NALSAR. I didn’t do well on clat as I was supposed to. And I don’t want nlsiu or nalsar to remain a dream . I have seen people not happy with the college they have (in fact one of my seniors did leave nliu for nls). I had also witnessed people staying in the college they received and didn’t wish to sit for clat once again (mostly due to the fact that they were burnt out or just didn’t want to for personal reasons).

Before coming to LI with this , I have consulted my well-wishers as well as neutral people from the industry as well . They have generally given me mixed opinions but honestly comprehensive explanations as well. To be more well-informed , I thought this would be a decent platform for some quality answers . Any help will be appreciated . Thank you ❤️
If you have a Karnataka or Telangana domicile quota, then definitely sit for CLAT again. It is easier to get in to NLS/Nalsar. Otherwise, it’s a risk since you need a top 200 rank minimum, and CLAT is unpredictable. You’re talking about 0.5 marks that makes a person miss out on a top 2 CLAT college on a bad day. My suggestion is stick with GNLU/Jindal, and take the exam once more. GNLU is doing pretty well these days.
Take my advice: stick to Jindal. You will get faculty and infra that os better than any other NLU. And if your grades are good you can easily get a Big 7 job or an LLM at a good university abroad.
no lol, only about 10 percent of the batch is "placed", usme se Big 7 is even lesser, it is not worth it.

yes Other NLUs have bad faculty, but if you put in the hardwork you'll see how easy it is to score well in these exams, and it will be valued much higher than a Jindal Top 10.
This is quite true - Jindal offers more opportunities at scholarships, awards, LORs from famous profs, and overall a better experience

LLM and TC acceptances also show a rising Jindal trend - I argue that will compound exponentially in the next 5 years
Why did you leave SLS Pune for a tier-3 NLU? Isn't SLS better?
If you are rich and the cost of Jindal doesn't bother you, then I would recommend staying there.
Not rich enough to pay JGLS ka whole fees. Till now I have received a 20-25% scholarship , will be trying hard for the June attempt as well to increase my chances of earning a bigger sum.
Give another attempt to fulfil your wish, but do join one of the decent colleges you are getting. Do not take a complete drop. How many times have you given CLAT? SLS Pune and a Tier 3 NLU and now joining JGU or GNLU. So a little bit confused with regards to how many times you have given CLAT.

Also, do not go overboard and play musical chairs with your college, a decent student can succeed with GNLU, JGU and SLS too. Plenty do it year on year. You will be wasting precious years and still end up where you would have ended up with any of these 3 colleges.
3 , the first time I just gave it blindly. And I never took a complete drop. But thanks for ur advice , seems practical enough - will think about it.
So, you'll be taking it for the 4th time? My honest advice here is that you stick with the law school you're getting and focus on building your legal career now. Even Jindal offers enough scope to do that, albeit at an exorbitant cost.

GNLU won't deprive you of any material opportunities that NLS/Nalsar might offer. NLS is going to have a massive increase in its batch sizes, making opportunities there even more sparse. Nalsar is good but like someone already said, getting in isn't a sure shot and in the long-term, I don't think it offers any real distinct advantage (NLS still has the alumni legacy that is quite attractive) compared to the other NLUs till GNLU/NLIU. I don't think a switch is worth it at this point. CLAT is not like some UPSC exam that requires intensive long-term study and repeated attempts.
Thank you so much for your advice , I will definitely think about it ! My age is still 19 and I thought giving clat again won’t really matter as still I will be in the average batch range of (17-20) , but your advice actually opened up some perspectives (especially the NLSIU batch side , I had no idea) I definitely didn’t think about properly.
Clat isn’t same anymore as it used to be. While I agree with your points that it won’t make a vast difference for OP to shift from GNLU to NLSIU/NALSAR , people do clear it in minimum 2-3 attempts. It has gotten competitive.

Rest I agree , you have already cleared GNLU. You have nothing else to prove
2 attempts is quite normal. I took the CLAT/AILET when there was an age limit bar, though and close to half of my tier-1 NLU batch had also attempted the exam twice. But nowadays, since the age cap was removed, I see people writing it 3-4 times thinking that NLS/Nalsar will drastically change their opportunities. This simply isn't true. While these colleges are relatively better in some ways due to them being the oldest NLUs, the opportunities at places like NLUJ, NLIU and GNLU are not any less. And I say this having had interactions with folks from these other colleges. If you're 20+ years, then it's not worth dropping another year just for CLAT to get NLS.
After a long time , I see genuine people giving advice (good or bad) to juniors healthily amidst threads of ‘hookup culture’ and lawyers marrying ‘rich clients’.

Coming to this particular thread in hand and especially this comment , lemme give you some pointers which will make you realise your decisions(this is coming from a person who himself took it 4 times and upgraded from a Tier-2 to Top 3 in his last attempt) :-

1. There was a reason why the ‘age limit bar’ was removed. It was 20 years if I am not wrong. The consortium itself found aspirants ranging 21 increasing in the competition and they did deserve a shot- that’s why the age limit cap was waived off anyway.This was also done keeping in mind the other exams of JEE and NEET. Coming to OP , going by his recent comments , he is 19. By the time he enters NLSIU or NALSAR (if he does end up having a great score in Clat 24) he will be 20. So you should retake the exam (only if you are dead sure of ur efforts).

2. You have to understand that people who comfortably fall within the age gap of (19-20) , the majority of them only give it 3-4 times. So your logic of “20+ years” fails because the OP is 19 years. This means that they graduated from high school around the age of 17. There was even an interview where I saw a hardworking boy from Trivandrum making his way to NLSIU from NUALS in his 3rd or 4th attempt I guess (if someone knows about it , then chime in)

3. OP with diligent research on LinkedIn you will find that giving the exam around 19-20 is not uncommon , many people have done it , you won’t be an exception.

4. Now coming to the part where I feel it doesn’t make sense . You are in GNLU or Jindal this year. Majority of aspirants whom I have seen (including me) giving the 4th attempt (regardless of their age) were in Tier-3 or some C-Grade local college who don’t even have the resources for a proper legal education. Going by your thread you have covered literally SLS-P , then Tier -3 (I don’t know who gave you this genius of an advice) and now JGLS or GNLU. What else u need to prove ? I mean don’t get me wrong , but you have done remarkably well and your CV looks good with you being in these colleges . Do you really want to drop another year for NLSIU ? ( Even if you are still 20 when you join law school , there won’t be vast difference as JGLS/GNLU are not that behind Top 3). Think about it , patience brings perspectives. My close frnd (who was more or less in a similar dilemma like u and me) talked with a professor about this , his words were exactly these , “You know you have to work hard in either of these colleges , might as well do it from here.”

5. Last but not the least , if you do end up giving clat , aim for the top 50 ranks . Challenge yourself. Make sure you can grab the ABS scholarship(GNLU although covers it) in which you can add some value to ur attempt. You are in the average batch age-range and still will be when you join NLS/NALSAR , but take a clarified approach.
Beautifully explained ! I wonder why the moderator isn’t marking this featured
Dope explanation ! Moderator should mark this 'featured' lmao
Hey! I'm also 19 and will be 20 if I take clat again . Do you think I should take clat again considering I'm from a local law college? I prepared really well for clat but got unlucky on the exam day. I'm part of the 2027 batch here so I'll be 3 years late when compared to my peers here. And I want to join corporate law. Should I take clat 2025 or just get over the NLS dream?
Thank you so much for ur advice ! Just to add on to it , I am still 19 and will be 20 when I join NlS / NALSAR (if I work tremendously hard enough). So I am not really falling in the 20plus age bracket run or during my prep. But I do agree with ur advice of GNLU or Jindal not being drastically different from the Top 3. Will take this into consideration
exactly , by the time he will join next year , he will still be 20
You should join a college, will already be 25 year old A0 when you graduate, that too if you join now. If you take another drop, the age will be 26. I get that you are no taking a complete drop, but paying a fee for the 1st sem/year and then repeating is a waste of money too. Plus, going abroad for a LLM later in life would be something where you then start taking age into account. Stick to a college.

Its a bit sad that people just give up years for the prestige of Nalsar and NLS B, whereas working hard at any decent college will still land them at a really good place.
OP is 19 rn , if he drops a year and joins NLSIU he will be 25 . What’s your point ? The average age transgresses 20 anyway
Thank you for your advice ! Helps a lot. However I would like to point out that as per my age , if I give clat 2024 , I will graduate at 25 not 26.
Doesn’t half of the batch graduate at 24 anyway ? Especially at top 3? Then what’s the problem ?
OP meant 3 times (probably) - cause he/she was in sls Pune at first.

Taking clat again depends on u - u have already achieved Tier-1 , but giving it again for nlsiu wont harm you
Partial drop with gnlu, don’t go to Jindal. There’s a hell lot of difference between the crowd at gnlu and the crowd at jgls, which ultimately makes the difference
A 1-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 20-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.