Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
I just got warned that I’ll be laid off. That I didn’t have the right attitude towards work.

I remember a senior telling me a while back that the new bunch of associates who joined are much more enthusiastic about work and have a much better attitude than me. Four months since, half of them have quit.

So, the ones who were super enthusiastic about work have burnout/ quit, and the one who doesn’t have a good attitude has stayed on? Bit of a paradox, innit? Something seems off.

Reminds me of the story when during WWII, the Royal Air Force was looking to increase the armour of their airplanes to prevent them from getting shot down. These airplanes had to fly over enemy territory and would often return with bullet holes. The RAF team analysed several airplanes which had returned from war and noticed that most of the bullet holes were near the wings and nose of the airplane, while the engine was mostly unharmed. So, they concluded that they had to reinforce these portions of the plane.

But there was mathematician in the team, who proposed the complete opposite. He said it was more important to armour the engine of the aircraft - which hardly had any bullet holes. It sounded counterintuitive, but he had realised something others had missed - the RAF team was only analysing the bullet holes of aircraft’s that had returned from war. The pilots of aircraft with bullet holes in their engines never managed to returned.

Hope management is listening.
A large number of kids join law firms from college since they think getting a job in one evidences that they made good use of their time in college. Once they join a law firm, many realise that this isn't what they want from their life and they quit, and that's fine. If you think the trade-off is not worth it, then leave - and, ideally, leave early. Try your hand at something else when you're still young and don't have any significant financial obligations and generally fewer responsibilities.

I don't want to increase the pressure you must already be under; but the threshold at which a person is warned that they may be fired is really high. This isn't the IT industry where lay-offs are common - traditionally, law firms have never done large scale lay-offs in India (or, for that matter, globally). So long as you put in the hours and show earnestness, I have seen absolute bumbling idiots hack it out in good law firms and climb the ladder, albeit, at a slower pace.

So, I would take this warning seriously and buck-up if I were you. The "management" will not listen to a fourth month A0. Speak with your senior or the partner and ask them how you can improve your work product and your attitude, if that's what they think is wrong, and then make a concerted effort to improve and ask for regular feedback. Separately, also speak with someone from your college in the firm who you know personally and see what you can do to improve. If you aren't willing to give it your 100% then you should really consider leave a law firm and doing something else, unfortunately, this line of work requires a strong work ethic and longer hours for the first few years. Things do relax a little bit after 4/5 years of work ex.
They are trying to push you to work harder. But it is an empty threat. If you were replaceable, you would have been. But, are your billables in place, and have you made any critical errors?

If you posted which team or nature of work, the sleuths here would deduce your identity in minutes. So, with limited information, be careful.
Won't name the firm or the practice.

We fired an associate recently.

She was given similar warnings about a year ago. She did not improve. We did not fire her immediately because we wanted to give her benefit of doubt on grounds like health, cultural integration, family issues, etc

No one wants to fire people with whom once had worked. The partners were trying to find out one more reason not to fire her. She did not improve even a bit. But it had started affecting other associates, timelines and quality, we had to ask her to leave.
If this is true, at least the Associate was given time to improve her performance and given a year's time. There are many cases where work is not even given and associates are asked to leave, without even being given a fair chance.
rich to assume an A0 with 4 months work ex is not replaceable. take some seats yeah? Everyone is replaceable- thats how corporate work environments continue despite turnover- thats why they hire more and more every year.
Hope your senior(s) reads this post and generally changes his/her attitude.. Also, post like these make me wonder how to connect with relevant folks and see if I can help them find a better job in my firm or elsewhere!
How can I reach out to you for a better job, with you or elsewhere
Sir can you guide me ? I m looking for job in firms / else where and willing to learn and grow. I just need guidance and mentorship . I can send you my address if you can send me material to read and crack interviews.

My contact link - https://t.me/aj_him
Friend, it's not called "laid off" if you are let go because of performance issues. That's plain and simple fired.

Sorry to be brutal.
I am in a similar situation. They are not happy with my work product and say that I lack the attitude to work.

Could you tell me what ultimately happened?
You need to move now. Once you get the signal move to greener pastures or risks being put to
In my experience these sort of warnings are rarely given in firms (unless your team sucks ass), so better also see if you're doing something wrong.
A 5-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.