Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
When you join a law firm, you obviously know that people get paid a lot of money. Maybe on television, lawyers are shown to blowing off a lot of money, but on a day-to-day basis people don’t exactly flaunt their wealth or blow off money without a second thought. If money is spent, it is usually done in private to buy a new house or a car that we are not always privy to.

Was there any specific incident at your firm which actually made you feel that people living the life you always saw on television? Would love to hear your experiences. For more context, I’ll go first -

It was a normal day at work, when one of our seniors informed us that his phone had stopped working. He told us that he was stepping out to get the phone repaired and would not be available for 2 hours. Pretty normal stuff till here.

An hour later, he came back to office with brand new expensive iPhone in his hand. He said the phone was 2 years old, so he just decided to get a new phone instead of getting it repaired. 🀯
isme flaunting kya hai? phones usually last about 2-3 yrs max, but this could be much lesser when doing whole-day works
My Redmi Note 4, bought in 2016 for 13k, is still going strong despite being used throughout the day. So speak for yourself. If you take good care of things, they last longer.
itna toxic hyun horahe ho ? You are the exception not the rule. Most people don't take as much care of their phones and most replace it within 2-3 years.
You have been surviving on mineral water and closeted environment since birth if you felt that comment was toxic. As for your generalisation of 'most people', you are grossly mistaken and elitist in your assumptions. Please go out more often beyond your social circle and learn more about your city, state, country etc.
Frankly your iPhone story is hardly an indicator of wealth. Let's say its an iPhone costing about 80k. It's very easy to walk into a Croma/Vijay Sales /Reliance Digital outlet and buy one on EMI. 12 month EMI will be ~7k a month. It's the most obvious example of conspicuous consumption, so it makes sense to invest.

Truer indicator of wealth would be when they start becoming unaware of price of everyday items like milk and onions. If they still shop for groceries themselves on instamart or blinkit, they aren't as wealthy as you think they are.

Writing this from my 25k Xiaomi, so what do I know anyway.
Buying a phone is not a luxury. Think of it as a productivity tool and even if a 70k iPhone works for 2 years the per day cost of owning an iPhone comes out to around Rs. 96 per day which is way less than what some folks spend on a coffee per day.
Lol, so buying a new iphone means the guy is filthy rich, the way you were building up the story i though he cashed out on a ferrari, or a patek or something
Dude no. we get paid peanuts in the grand scheme of things and considering how much we work.
A 5-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.