Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
Does anyone also find this to be a trend? Not just in college fests but also generally? What are the reasons?

- Market dynamics and sponsor demands

- Decline of English-speaking elite and rise of Hindi-speaking masses

- Perception of rock music as too masculine and too white (hence unofficially cancelled by the usual suspects)
Ghanta. Fucking Yellow Diaries headlining at SF. SF Comm and EMC should hang their heads in shame.
Absolutely sad state of affairs. Majority of the people are into the mainstream Bollywood crap or the k-pop clowns. Anyone who understands the basics of music theory or production would understand how creatively starved and dry these plastic songs are where you just make a simple and β€œcatchy” beat on FL and drop in the usual major-minor open chords. Gone are the days of complex drum beats and soulful electric guitar solos lol.

Even tho there are A LOT of good indie bands in the US and Australia rn, the Indian crowd’s music taste spectrum is restricted to shaadi dance punjabi songs on most days and Prateek Kuhad’s cringeworthy romantic songs on a few other days when it’s raining (baarishein or whatever that song is lmao).

Also, no, rock is not β€œtoo masculine”, and even if it was, it’s not a bad thing. Perhaps, black metal, deathcore, or shoegaze stuff like Amenra, Planning for Burial, Cannibal Corpse, Deftones, MBV etc. is more violent and masculine but a lot of women enjoy these genres too so I don’t agree with the OP’s point that they have been β€˜cancelled’.

One reason for the bad music taste of the majority of current generation could be the short attention span caused by the constant bombardment of reels and tiktoks. People have become so impatient they can’t sit back and enjoy a 9 minute Dead and Company jam, 30 minutes of Ellington & Coltrane’s jazz or Chopin’s Nocturnes. Just give them a pop song with 4/4 techno beats while they could doom scroll through Instagram, it’s β€œmusic” to their ears.
Give this kid NLUJ '24 a medal. One of the few sane voices among today's kids.
Give 'im an internship, although he doesn't need it, NLU kid. Give me one please
We are making the mistake of judging today's music by yesterday's lens. In their time RD Burman and Beatles must have faced a lot of criticism. Today they are considered legends. Similarly, 20 years from now Neha Kakkar and Kanishk Bagchi will be considered as legends at par with RD Burman and Beatles.
Bruh , the beatles never face this much of a criticism as BTS does today. The reason? Beatles is a wayyy superior band musically than auto-tune companies
There is a lot of gatekeeping going on in this thread. Wtf do you mean 'bad music taste'. Sorry bud, not all of us derive our self worth from the music we listen to. Please reevaluate your life.
Raatri 3 baje uthiye aur ise suniye, aap baaki saara Sangeet bhool jayenge (condition ye hai ki 8-10 minute suune ki koshish kijiye, uske baad ye aapke dil-o-dimaag mein utar jaayega:

https://youtu.be/hc1tb_AuMto
NLSIU, NALSAR and Jindal are probably the the only 3 law schools with a strong rock music scene and a strong Western music scene in general. Bollywood rules the rest.
I swtg but nujs literally has this β€˜punjabi bolly thing’ going on. You can cross check even
Brooo this is so irritating. Screaming β€˜Munda’ at every fest
If you look at the history of the world, it has gradually moved from a higher standard of living to a lower standard of living because that way security and sufficiency for the greater number is assured. What you are witnessing in the music scene is also a reflection of the same trend.

An illustration for the above idea: Earlier, Kingdoms used to exist and the kings used to live in utmost wealth - unimaginable for many today. But those times had lesser populations and lesser human rights. Now we don't have such kings and such wealth - but a larger population and larger scope of human rights. Likewise, in yesteryears, imagine the earlier rockbands to be the kings, and imagine today's music acts - which are far too many compared to before - as the larger population enjoying a larger scope of validation of their marketability.

Makes sense, now?

Expect this to be the case for a long time coming.
Bollywood, Hip-hop/rap, EDM and KPOP are the top genres in India. Massively popular.

After that comes pop. Very popular.

After that comes heavy metal, at a distant third. Niche popularity

Then classic rock, at an even more distant fourth. Popular only in a few small circles.

Then a small minority listen to jazz. Very few.

Then another small minority listen to Indian classical. Very, very few.

Finally, just about 10 or 20 people in the whole country listen to Western classical.

That is the situation in India. If you want to enjoy the unpopular genres, you need to settle or travel abroad. I have done so.
Which nlu r u from and when did you receive your magic circle offer?
I knew more than 20 people from NLS who listened to Western classical. And maybe 100 metal fans. Proper metal, not Korn type tripe.

PS- apart from my Korn comment, not gatekeeping over whether metal or WCM are cooler than EDM or Bollywood. To each their own.
Because that’s NLS. You won’t find much K-Pop lovers there
Yes, the music tastes at NLSIU tend to be more sophisticated than other law schools. The fest is named after a Beatles song and that typifies the music scene at NLSIU: Beatles, Pink Floyd, Duke Ellington, Coltrane, Beethoven, Wagner, Zubin Mehta, Ravi Shankar, Zakir Husain, Amjad Ali Khan etc. There are very few takers for Neha Kakkar or EDM or Bieber or Kpop.
To each their own, for example, I hate RAP and think it is just people mumbling nonsense without any sort of melody. But that is my opinion, can't say that all those who like RAP have a shitty music taste.
A 15-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.