Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Are recruitments in competition law expected to show a steady increase for the next decade? How big can the teams get? How big a risk can the niche nature of the field be, in terms of not getting placed, if I pursue it exclusively?
There is no reason for the recruitment to see any special/more forceful trend of hiring anytime soon in competition law.

However, the important thing to note here is that it seems to have blown up in law schools as some latest fad, which is why there will be a lot more applicants eyeing for the same number of openings.

As someone from a T1 NLU, I had to sit through way more interviews than my peers to get into a T2 competition team than my friends had to for T1 general corporate teams.

Unless you are genuinely interested in the area of law to the extent that you would be disinterested in all the other major areas like Funds, GC, Disputes etc, I'd discourage working towards building a competition-specific CV.
An exercise which i ask all the competition law enthusiasts to undertake before zeroing in on competition law as a career:

Check the no. Of combination filings made every year.
Also, the no. Of investigation orders passed every year.

After that, decide for yourself how large the cake is.
There is always a dearth of good A0s in the competition law field. If you learn / read the law during college (on your own, of course, do not overly rely on the curriculum) and can demonstrate your knowledge and understanding during your internships, you should be able to get recruited. Unlike other corporate law fields, I have noticed that associates for comp law teams are required to know the basics themselves. It is not rocket science (any above average person can understand the law if they apply themselves to it), however, it is a bit different from the general legal commercial or corporate law knowledge required for other teams. So learn / read as much of the law as you can on your own. This will be appreciated during internships and make you stand out.
Hi. I am a competition law enthusiast. I am an A0 and I am finding it very difficult to find vacancies in competition law teams. Could you be so kind to provide me any leads for the same?
Azb and sam bombay looking. Khaitan delhi too.

Atb friend. Text on Avimukta Linkedin