Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
What do you mean by success?
It's a cheesy headline with a an even cheesier question, but do you have the answer for it?

A. Managing Name Partner
B. Supreme Court Judge
C. International Court of Justice Judge
D. Hotshot Litigator
E. Magic Circle Partner
F. Famous Academician
E. Whatever else which is left out

Or the answer to it is just a peaceful life in a small town with a decent home where you can tend to the requests of your beloved family?
The competition and money surely gives us the adrenaline rush in the initial phase of things but it runs out. I don't feel like earning 1 Crore an year in a place like Mumbai which can't even fetch me a home half as good as I got back in my hometown, and if I think about it in an introspective way I seem to believe that it's not worth the hassle.
How do you see yourself in next 10 years? What are your goals/aspirations? When you think of it, does it make you feel that you could live your life in a more purposeful or better way?
PS: I've previously read about people planning to retire after having a certain amount but I've never encountered a person who has voluntarily left the profession after attaining that amount, so I don't think that's the answer I'm expecting to resolve my query.
For context: I have very recently cleared CLAT, I didn't want to reveal that because I believe then the audience wouldn't have addressed this with the requisite attention I'm hoping to be addressed with. But I did reveal it just to let the fellow readership know that your response would most definitely play role in structuring my idea of what I want to be.
Thank you.
(LI Mods please let this one slide in, and remove this which is included in the parentheses)
I think about your question everyday. I learnt very quickly (whilst interning at a T1 law firm in my third year) that the T1 law firm life is NOT for me. I now have a job at a mid sized firm where I'm doing quite well. And I'm actually happy. I can focus on my health, be with my family. I'm earning a decent amount of money which is enough to sustain my lifestyle. And I'm enjoying the work- I actually like law. Bottom line? I believe I'm successful and happy , even though my peers do not think so. And ukw? It's nothing but wonderful.
I loved reading this. I’ve moved out, am much happier in-house but still experiencing deal FOMO every now and then. I’m striving towards having the mindset you have and getting there slowly but surely. (Seeing my peers drop out of firms like flies/ desperately looking for a way out helps - and I’m not sorry). :) cheers
Being a high court judge in Delhi would be more than enough for me. Immense respect and power. A house in Lutyens. Making great money in arbitration post retirement. I don’t want anything more.
That genuinely seems like a great plan!
But for someone who has absolutely zero connections in this field, it is quite a task to be a Delhi HC Judge. It is a gamble for someone like me, if things doesn't work out well, I'll be transferred to a subpar HC with inadequate facilities like former CJ of Tripura (Akil Kureshi).