Read 81 comments as:
Filter By
A message was forwarded to us via whatsapp which read as follows:

"The following are the protocols that you have to follow for quite sometime.

Golden Rule - Seniors are Always Right.

1) Always Greet your Seniors. Begin and End every Statement with 'SIR'. Every Single Sentence.

Example : SIR my name is XYZ SIR

2) Don't smile in front of seniors.NO MATTER WHAT

If you do , immediately wipe the smile and shove it up your ass and scream 'Aaah' ( It's called the Smile Wipe.)

3) Wear only Plain T Shirts , and Full Pants.

4) Don't walk on Lawns or take Short Cuts. Always use the road to go anywhere.

5) Don't sit in the gazebo. Those sitting area in the campus.

6) Don't visit Tafri etc. And any other place where you can get booze or cigarettes ( Including the city ) Except if the seniors ask you to.

7) This is the hierarchy of respect to be given to people:
1) 5th years
2) 4th years
3) 3rd years
4) 2nd years
5) Workers and non Teaching staff
6) Grass
7) 50 piles of shit
8) Dogs
9) 1st Years
10) PG students
11) Chief Warden.

( Applies to girls also )

Protocols for all those who didn't know.

The protocols are not followed in academic block,
Library."

This constitues as ragging right, Should i report it to the University administration??
Correct.

Juniors don't understand that this will end up with them becoming friends with seniors who will help at every stage. I am still friends with seniors who ragged (which was limited to intro and addressing them as senior) and I am still friends with many juniors whom I ragged.
maybe you need better friends and โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ, my friend. My heart goes out to you.
India mein aur bhi bohot kuch normal hai. Uski complaint karne mat ana fir kabhi kuch karwa diya kisi ne toh.
Kitne bade chutiye hai BC, 1 saal pahle paida ho gye wo aapka nhi aapke pitashri ka kand hai, fayda unko milna chahiye.
This reminds me of Kumar Varun's standup on college seniors: ' EK SAAL PEHLE AA GYE HAI BUT UKHADA KUCH NHI HAI'
Just to clarify, there is no "Sir" requirement in NLSIU, NALSAR and NLUD. Only tier 2 NLUs have it.
Anyone who thinks NLUJ isnโ€™t Tier 1 is highly mistaken. And no, I am not from NLUJ.

Also please stop BSing. I have heard plenty of ragging stories coming from your beloved NLSIU, NALSAR and NLUD (in fact seen it first hand at NLUD).
Even at Nluj we dont have such culture. I am in 4th year, and never called anyone sir in my college. And I'm still unscratched.
Only a few lowlifes enforce such rules, please dont generalise.
Someone tell these sutiyas that junior-senior hierarchy has ended because of Covid. 3rd years and 1st years are equal newcomers to the campus so both are equally freshers.
Sure, we will follow these rules. But can senior boys please stop chasing junior girls?
The obnoxious message by senior students should be circulated online and made viral. Then they will be brought to their knees after the adverse media coverage.
Don't take this BS lying down. Time to expose these bullies and raggers. They will piss in their pants and cry like babies if the media does a story on this and the VC showcauses them.

In the old days Kian would have done a story on it. Sadly Kian is gone and B&B/LiveLaw will never cover anything against the admin. But you could try LiveWire from the Wire, YouthKiAwaaz, Quint, OpIndia, Janta Ka Reporter, LawBeat and other youth-oriented sites. One of them will surely cover it.
Stop trying to make this a social media issue when it is not even anything serious. Someone sent some dumb message to a junior in light humour, clearly, and here you are encouraging these dumb bubble-wrapped snowflake kids to report it and tarnish the reputation of the university. Wow! Didn't think that clat failures would stoop this low.
But I agree with the point that if some senior has actually done any kind of serious ragging which harmed the student mentally or physically, then yes, the student should definitely report that to the college authorities.
but then, has it ever happened? no. Stop trying your best to tarnish the reputation of NLUJ just because you couldn't get into it.
sToP tRyInG 2 TaRnIsh

lmao bro tarnishing is being done by whoever wrote that horribly unfunny, crass message to juniors. NLUJ should be embarrassed if this is the output of their fancy lot.
No this is no ragging. I'm a senior of NLUJ myself and had to go through this. Have fun with your seniors. Don't think of these rules and protocol as a restriction but as an induction method. You will be meeting many seniors during these "positive interactions". All of them will be helping you inside and outside college. If you decide to complain to the admin, they will somehow, someway get away and you will be ostracized by the entire college community. Why bother? Just chill and enjoy your time while it lasts. This will probably be facing all this till the freshers party so enjoy.
Bhai kyu pagal bna rha hai.
No one's gonna ostracize you or anyone. No one can ostracize anyone in the college.
Also, trust me, you don't need any help from any seniors to do anything in the college.
I'm doing fairly well, and never needed any help from any of the people who i gave ragging to.
I am friends with the other people who didn't take positive interaction, and turned out ot be the only successful people in their batch.
Dude you are from the batch of 2023. I'm from 2021. Your college is going on. Mine's over. I know how much seniors helped me in terms of securing internship, motivating to undertake academic writing, saving my ass before exams and assignment submissions and countless other times. Also, I know juniors AND seniors who complained to the college administration and at the ended up being ostracized.

I can assure you that at NLUJ, ragging is friendly without any physical harassment. frankly its fun and gave me some of the most cherished memories of the place and seniors. I also feel that once you have gone through this "ragging" period, life outside becomes quite comfortable since you already dealt with the worst.

If any juniors of NLUJ are reading this, please enjoy your ragging period, have fun with the seniors who do your "positive interactions". In case you feel threatened or are physically harassed, you can approach a higher senior (for instance if a 3rd year has been abusing you during ragging, go and talk to to a 4th or 5th year). In case nothing happens, then seek remedy from the admin.

Trust me you'll look back after years and laugh your ass off while sharing those ragging stories :)
It has been a lot of years since I have graduated from my NLU, but it still baffles me as to how the two words 'ragging' and 'friendly' go in one sentence. That is like the 'peacekeeping' 'war' in Donbass.

Itna hi friendly banna hai, toh bhai be civilised and take juniors out for a treat and have a normal discussion. You are saying as if ragging is the 'natural order' of ice-breaking; no, it is not; it never had to be this way. It is this way because of some perverse perception of power over juniors. Why should they comply? Who are you to discipline them to make them docile?

If you only provide help to those who silently accepted being the victim of power trips, that is not called learning: that is called selling your dignity for career progression. That is also not altruism on the senior's part then: that is a mere transaction, and has nothing noble or obligatory about it.

There is a reason ragging is a criminal offence.

Before anyone jumps in: no, I did not take part in ragging as a junior or as a senior, and I did very well in life, I dare say.
Stop peddling lies. Just because you sold your self-respect to some seniors in return of some copy pasted projects or notes, doesn't mean that everyone should do this.
Also, I got all of the things you mentioned, without getting ragged by any of the seniors. Instead, those who ragged me were far more incompetent than I was in terms of knowledge and skills.
And those who treated me as equal ended up helping me more.
Also, most of the students are smart enough to figure things out themselves, like I did for most of the things.
And I have been in the college since last 2018, and I haven't found anyone ostracised at all. even those who complained of the seniors, were not ostracised.
Its just another made up lie by some insecure seniors who think that they can coerce the juniors into submitting to their ego trips.
Trust me, no one can ostracise you if your case is genuine and you report to the college authorities.
A 75-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Horrible. Whoever sent you this is a piece of crap. A terrible one. Do not hesitate to take actions. Fucking sadist.
Unequivocally yes, do that and share this screenshot all over - twitter, linkedin etc. The trash who wrote this ought to be called out.
I'm a senior at NLUJ. I was an introvert and would have never ever talked to any senior if these protocols and positive interaction mandating us to wish the seniors didn't exist. This is the only reason why I initiated conversation with many seniors and met a lot of them.

These would end right after freshers so you guys need not worry. Most of the seniors won't even mind if you don't follow these protocols except a few.

But yeah, complaining won't help. Every year one or the other person complains about it and the witch hunt to find that person starts. If you're not comfortable, tell the seniors you are not comfortable and they will let you go. Nobody would force you to do anything. But if you complain, or protest, Seniors will always get a way around it or at max, will get suspended for 1 week. But the way everyone would be searching for the person who made this post/complained can just make things worse. And trust me, it's not very hard to find out.

Good luck guys. Welcome to NLUJ. You're gonna have a lot of fun. Just wait for the freshers.
disclosure - I'm a 4th year at NLUJ.
This is not ragging as long as it is not enforced and meant as a joke. These rules are supposed to be taken in light humor. You dont have to follow these strictly if you dont want. It's just for fun. If someone is making you follow these or shouts at you for not following the rules, please feel free to tell them to puck off.

Those who enforce such rules on juniors forcibly, are lowlifes and unsuccessful people who do not have any respect or value in their peer group.

Trust me no one can make or break your future. Trust me, you dont need any shitty senior's help to be successful in your Law School. Even if you need help, no one who is smart enough is gonna say no to you just because you didn't follow some non-sensical rules.

You can follow them if you like to have some fun with seniors but dont follow these rules if you dont want.

As per my personal experience, those who used to enforce these ridiculous rules on us, turned out to be the lowest of the lows. They are not successful or happy in their lives. They do not have good upbringing and are failing miserably. No exceptions.
And those who were chill with these rules, didn't enforce them, turned out to be the respectable ones in their batch and are resourceful and smart.

However, just make sure you are polite with your seniors. And ask nicely if you need anything which is the bare minimum human decency. Thats all you need.
I prefer my juniors to call me by my Name or bhaiyya.
When I was in my 1st year, I had this question before me too. However, instead of writing it on social media, I directly talked to one of my seniors . He said, "yeh sab part h college ka aur enjoy this. Let the time pass and you will only laugh at these moments later".
Also, no one is going to touch you and you always have the option to say no if you don't like.
Note: I am in my 5th year and still I knew only those seniors who positively interacted with me. They gave me notes, projects and the much needed guidance throughout. Yes, some may be shitty as well but exceptions are everywhere, rightโœŒ๏ธโœŒ๏ธ.
bruh if I sold out my dignity in exchange for land law notes or whatever, I'd be deeply ashamed and not post about it on LegallyIndia. Sad for you
Please, pure batch ka loss mat krwaa tu jo bhi hai.
Baakiyo ko interact krna h seniors k sath... tu sabka loss krwa rhaa h ye sbb krke
Good that you're trying to stand up for what you believe in. But try doing that in an actual conversation with someone on campus, instead of being a SJW on a thread on the internet. That should give you a better idea of how things really are as opposed to what it sounds like when you discuss it with random people on the internet.
Have fun.
It seems like you have not interacted with any seniors yet and your post stems from a place of fear.
Before taking any further steps, you should reach out to a well intentioned senior about this. University action is disproportionate more often than not and so, unless you (hopefully not) have a bad experience yourself, don't consider it. Also, it may be best if you be the judge of whether you are uncomfortable or not on actual interactions and not WhatsApp forwards. I hope you have a good experience at your university.
Weirdass stance to take. If people know that authorities have disproportionate powers to take action why even indulge in something so stupid and spectacularly unfunny - and for what? power trip?
This is rubbish. Donโ€™t follow any of it. Treat everyone respectfully and expect to be treated the same way. If someone does try to force you to do this stuff - thatโ€™s ragging. At that point complain.
A 48-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
If you don't want to do it no one will pressurise you and will leave you alone. Only side effect is you will be alone in your room while your batchmates would be having fun interacting with seniors. Many of us find it an interesting way to interact with seniors and these are the seniors who will have your back in the tough times that you fave in college.
So the choices are to chill in my own room or cater to narcs who want me to call them sir? It's an easy choice lol
This has been going on since I was in the first year, looks like the exact same message. Never followed any of this, no one messed with me for it. Only fools on an ego trip will try to enforce this and you're much better off not engaging with them. If someone does, report that person. This BS needs to end.
Rag them back. It is the only way. I know it sounds hard. But it can be done. If you dedicate your time and apply your mind, you will find their weaknesses. Then you exploit them. Send rats across their floor in their hostels. Make friends with the security and turn off the water taps so they go days without water. Making someone's life hard is not very difficult. Go on social media. Take their photos. Send it to their parents. Go outside, take photos of them smoking cigarettes and send it to the admin and local police.

Report them to the NCB when you see them with weed. Stand up for yourself. Stand up and fight.
Lol, quite a few of these "rules" have existed for over 15 years!

The juniors I'm most friendly with were people I goofed around with during their first year.

When my batch was getting ragged on our first night about a decade and a half ago, the seniors were trying to scare us and I remember finding it all quite funny and it was all cool - nobody did anything to me.

If anyone actually does something; i.e, manhandles you or make you do mean derogatory stuff (signing cheap songs doesn't count), then that constitutes ragging. This is just harmless fun. Learn to relax, life will be very hard without it.
I graduated from Jodhpur a couple of years back. One would think, with time things would change and improve. How terrible. Juniors, it is time to end this terrible culture.
When will this servile mentality go away from India? Haraamiyon ne aisa kya ukhad liya jo itni izzat chahiye?
Looks like they have copied this from the recent Malayalam movie "Hridayam". Looks like your seniors are a bunch of insecure turds. Report and socialize this issue.
Just spread this shit like nutella. Share it with the local news and let the VC deal with it.
Just because you had to endure it doesn't mean new people need to endure it too. Break the cycle.

This is some archaic bullshit.
Bhai chill maar. Its just harmless fun. No one will force anything on you. NLUJ has one of the best environment
Dear NLUJ juniors, please do not post such alleged messages in public. It needlessly brings down the reputation of the college. First of all, there is no proof that such a message was sent by a senior. Secondly, there is no proof that the senior community as a whole endorses this. It could simply be a stray case. Thirdly, I would like to inform everyone that there is NO such culture of ragging at NLUJ. Lastly, it is very irresponsible to send such messages to the Wire etc. Why do you want to hurt the reputation of the college? Your own placements will be affected if you do that. Also, the Wire is known to be a biased organisation that published controversial news without proof. This was proved recently when the Delhi High Court ordered the wire to take down articles about Covaxin. As Madhya Pradesh is a BJP ruled state, the Wire may want to attack NLUJ.

So kindly settle such matters internally without posting on public forums.
This is gross generalisation of NLUJ culture. I don't have to defend it. Those who are smart enough to get here, are smart enough to understand that such rules are made for light humour and no one would harm you if you don't follow any of them at all.
Those who are trying to tarnish the reputation of the University, you cannot, no one can, not especially the jealous and clat failures, over some random WhatsApp message allegedly sent by a turd senior with than ego tip and is not endorsed by even 5% of the total senior batches.
If you know even one student of NLUJ, you'll understand what the culture is and why more top rankers in CLAT choose NLUJ over any other turd college (not talking about NALSAR, NLS, NUJS here).
Ah, I see, yes the peak of culture is calling all other universities than NLS, NALSAR, NUJS and NLUJ 'turd college'. Truly the epitome of civilisation, I must say.
Brother aap firse admission lelo itna pyaar hai toh NLUJ culture se!
I wish you could also witness it, but your CLAT score wouldn't allow.
Dear Neem Karela Uttapam,
Thank you for asking.
Nothing was wrong as long as it was calling out a specific message by a specific senior or group of seniors.
It went wrong when some jealous people or the clat failures wrongly started gross generalisation of NLUJ culture and environment. other than that if you say that a bunch of seniors are arsewholes, I'd definitely agree. But when they start attacking the whole university over such random things, I don't have anything but pity for them.
Also there is one more rule, that if a 1st year rags a P.G. and captures the same on video, he/she will be made Mr./Mrs. Fresher from that batch. So you know what to do now. If you rag your own batchmates, you may get into trouble by seniors but it will be a "mission successful respect +"
I am a 4th year student from NLUJ and I can personally confirm this message is merely forwarded from one batch to it's junior batches for shits and giggles. No one is forced to participate in these protocols and they are just laughed at. I did not participate in these protocols and I did not face any consequences. I am close to my seniors and they have helped me out on many occasions. Even during "positive interaction", people are always given the option to walk away and they are even encauraged to. However if your experience has been different and you have been tormented or disrespected by your seniors in any way, I wish you luck, to go ahead and complain.
Beware of comments asking this post to be made viral. There is a strong chance that these messages are being posted by people who want to hurt NLUJ placements or affect its NIRF rank (you can guess who they are) for that will be the ultimate effect if the mainstream media covers this. What happens in NLUJ stays in NLUJ.
Juniors these days are very irresponsible and suffer from snowflake mentality. Why are you making all this public and destroying the reputation of the college? There is ragging in every college. What's the big deal? In fact, the ragging at NLUJ is very very mild and in the spirit of fun. NLUJ seniors are among the most helpful seniors you will find in any NLU. They are always there to help you with your studies and other things.
Tum campus mai padhke degree lene gaye ho ki dalali and netagiri karne gaye ho bhai?
As an NLUJ fifth year who does not endorse nor has taken ragging, I believe the 6th point is very valid. Don't go to tafri or any of the booze places without seniors. We have had cases of murder and kids passing out outside the campus. We have had police or the nearby shopowners dropping these 17 year olds who drink recklessly in their first year. Seniors always have a code where they know that a couple of them will always be sober enough to get everyone back. The maturity needs to be there. All the other rules are shit.

I think the third one was made to identify the first years and it was easy to talk to them. It is not a compulsary thing, if you are a first year and want to interact with seniors it was easier this way. Again not compulsary to not wear printed shirts, you can do whatever the shit you want
A 26-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 3-word comment posted 11 months ago was not published.
A 12-word comment posted 9 months ago was not published.