Read 40 comments as:
Filter By
1. Are you guys able to take out time for your hobbies?
2. Are there any lawyers who are into poetry and photography?
3. Do you think that lawyers are boring?
Yes we have one hobby- To be full of stress all the time, and taking out our frustration on others.
If thats how you roll then you need a MAJOR adjustment in life. If YOU have stress or frustrations then how YOU handle it is YOUR problem. Taking out on others is dastardly and cowardly to say the very least. Get in with the program or get out and make way for someone who can actually get the job done.
If being a lawyer is what defines you then mate you're boring. πŸ™Š
I dated a litigation lawyer once who plays the piano and enjoys coffee brewing. But he’s rather old!
As a lawyer I am offended by the innuendo in your question that we are supposed to have free time.
1. Difficult to get adequate time if you are working in a law firm and especially Tier 1 law firm. But, one can always squeeze some time.

2. I am working with a Tier 1 law firm and i have photography as a hobby. WFH provided me with time to purse it, but I avoided venturing out specifically for this. During a recent visit to my home for a considerable period of time, i took out my childhood miniature cars (scale models of actual cars) and fell in love with them again. Decided to re-start it - since then haven't stopped. Bought 100 more if different scale and have started doing photography with it as well. Joined various online forums to learn more and to meet others - surprised to find a large number of fellow collectors from various backgrounds - CAs, doctors, bankers, advertisement professionals and one or two lawyers. Hoping, i would be able to continue

3. Majority are. Very few have a life outside their work.
Facebook groups- there are various… just search by diecast…. In addition try diecastxchange, diecastsociety etc.
Hobby 1: I delete redline changes of counter party in a document without using track mode.
Hobby 2: Being a corporate lawyer, I give shit advice to my relatives on property matters.
> I delete redline changes of counter party in a document without using track mode.

Are they naive enough not to compare drafts?
My only hobby/interest is going as fast as possible, and I find it plenty of time for it.
Not funny. I quit my previous firm because two blue eyed boys would come to office completely stonned.
You are a lawyer for 8 hours of the day but a human for rest. Don’t forget.
1. No. My hobbies in college were reading and writing but ever since I joined a tier I firm, even when I am free, I have a observed myself gravitating towards mind- numbing, soul crushing tv shows. Guess now my brain now wants to escape and be comfortable and somewhere safe so that I don't have to think.

3. Absolutely! But only law firm lawyers.
Hobbies are for partners.. If you are an associate, your sole purpose in life is to work hard, bill lots and make money so that your partner can go diving in Maldives or whisky touring in Scotland or a pizza making course in Naples..
I work in a litigation firm and admittedly, the hours are extremely long rendering it difficult to make time for non-work related activities. I do however try to make time to do other things and this has been somewhat more doable with WFH having cut down on travel time.
I have an interest in foreign languages so have been learning one on a language-learning app for the last year or so. Learned some piano in school - this became less regular but I have recently gotten back to it. Eating is fun (lol) so I discovered cooking is too - I try to make one new dish every couple weeks and researching ingredients etc gives me something to look forward to.
Taking out a bit of time to do something fun makes the time you do spend working more efficient.
Litigators have little grounds to complain. Even post conferences, you can get out by 9ish on most days. Your day starts half an hour before court (which is almost lunch). And at least 2h a day in between of waiting around. If you finish off small chores smartly, you can easily find time to cultivate a hobby. Add to all this, the luxury of court vacations which a corporate lawyer doesn't have.
@ujjawalsatsangi, An Advocate, has Photography and Poetry as his hobby. You may check his profile on Instagram. For photography, you can also check @instalavista for photography, another Advocate.
Sports. Get to play football every weekend.
And then, watching sports. My life revolves around watching live games (mostly cricket and football).
I guess as long as you have something happy to look forward to, you'll be good. Because you'll have that feeling of "freedom" for a few hours where you're pursuing what you like.
Then it doesn't matter that you've been using your laptop for some 10-12hrs. Those 2-3hrs of "me time" before sleeping is all that matters.
A 4-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.