Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
I am currently at RGNUL and have completed a semester here. I am getting a seat at GLC Mumbai. I am leaning towards GLC cause I live very close to Mumbai, the Internship opportunities it provides(no attendence issues), better Alumini Base, better Placements. RGNUL's placements have been declining since last three years with this year only 13 getting placed. Please help me make a decision. Is there any factor I am missing ? Should I go ahead with RGNUL or enroll in GLC.
If the entry qualification for GLC is board marks, go ahead. It's extremely competitive and you may get good peers. But know that government law colleges across the country have close to zero teaching going on. You're on your own. I'm assuming RGNUL has structures which are well established. Would definitely be better than glc on many fronts.
This is untrue. Proper lectures are conducted here. Enough to give us basic knowledge on each subject.
GLC every day of the week, RGNUL is simply not in the same league. Anything beyond NLIU/HNLU and you should choose GLC, you would get hands on practical experience via internships and not to mention the unmatchable alumni base. RGNUL had once shown some promise, but with the way things are at this moment, GLC would be a much smarter choice.
GLC and RGNUL are both Government colleges. What do you even meant to say ?
I graduated out of a T1 NLU several years back; had this been a contest between RGNUL and some random private law school then I would have advised OP to stick to RGNUL. But the scenario here is quite different, it is GLC against RGNUL, GLC has an unmatched locational advantage and an insanely large alumni base who are at the very top of this profession. Now, I've never said that RGNUL is a bad law school or such but almost everyone would choose GLC over RGNUL any day of the week. I am not saying that GLC is perfect, it does have its own major flaws but it is still the better option.

Moreover, there has been multiple threads on LI regarding the horrible situation at RG. Now tell me, should I advise OP to join RG even when he/she clearly has a better option in hand?
Exactly!! It's just one petition away from being delisted from the BCI. People only come here because they don't want to attend college and sit at home all day (literally 90% are from Mumbai and are staying with their parents) they never really grow up. Please have a proper college life and have an equilibrium between theoretical and practical knowledge and don't just make a decision after reading a strangers viewpoint on an anonymous social media platform.
You have a lifetime to learn practical aspects of law. Get your fundamentals right in a decent law school. Continue in RGNUL.
You learn the fundamentals by getting your hands dirty - not the other way.
Continue with RGNUL. I may shit on my fellow T2 brother but when it comes to NLU v non-NLU , we always stand strong together. You probably haven't visited the campus. Visit it and then visit GLC and then make a call. There may be a hundred problems, but things are much more organized at NLUs.
Also please don't judge how good a place is based on placements. Definitely not when you're deciding where to study.
The market advantage, brand value and the respect you get out of being from an NLU is unparalleled. Would recommend that you speak to good seniors from RGNUL as well. Stay put.
This is utter BS. I am a RGNUL graduate, and the RGNUL tag did not help me even once. I have been in T1 from the very beginning, and during the course of my professional life, I have seen few RGNUL graduates join us on a lateral basis. Even on campus hiring, very few folks are from RGNUL. This clearly shows that we have very low market reputation. So, if jobs are a priority for the OP, RGNUL is not a great place to be in.

In this past, RGNUL also had terrible faculty, however, I do not know if there has been improvements on that front.

Anyways, if OP were to ask me, I would suggest moving to GLC and doing long term internships.
I know the details of both the universities. I'll try to be impartial about it. It depends on YOU. If placements is the ONLY factor, go for GLC. But if you wish to live in campus and enjoy with peers along with participating in moots or maybe chill/stroll around in the campus, RGNUL should be your pick.

Clarifying the Placements Issue, RGNUL has had a terrible time with the previous VC Jassu, which might be the reason why placements are down. He discouraged placements as he believed that NLUs were established to produce Litigation Masterminds and Judges. However, things may be looking up (Risky af, but still worth it). GLC was great, no doubt. But the future belongs to NLUs.
Also, RGNUL has an extremely great network in Delhi, but the network simply in non-existent in Mumbai. So make sure you weigh in this factor as well.

My advice- Go for RGNUL as half a decade is a lot of time and you should make the most of it. RGNUL is worth the gamble. NLUs rise and fall, you never know which is going to be a good year. Few years back, HNLU had touched its rock bottom, but now HNLU is improving. GLC is good. But your college life will be spent in firms and not in campus. You decide, Firms or Campus?
As an ex-Ragnool-ite, please choose GLC. RGNUL will give you nothing.
Runaway from RGNUL as fast as you can. It is a dead college, with no placements, no academic rigour and stupid professors. See the RGNUL website, the placements are in single digits with one tier 1 placement. Don't know why people still keep going to that sh*thole with some dreams of vaunted infrastructure.

GLC is miles ahead in terms of placements, peer quality and location. RGNUL students are more concerned with scoring weed than scoring placements.
Bhai GLC join karle, RGNUL join karega to judiciary, litigation ya UPSC me hi fans jayega. mere batch ke 80 percent bacche are preparing for Judiciary(dekhle). Khuch nhi rakha in baato me. GLC at its worst would still be better than RGNUL at its best.
I don't know why there is so much hate against RGNUL here.

RGNUL is a safe place for all kind of people. You will get help as soon as you seek it.

College is not about placements etc. Even if it is, there is no firm which is going to filter you out because of RGNUL. Outside Mumbai, NOBODY cares for GLC. 100 colleges hai waise.

College life is about experience. You will meet more diverse and smarter people at RGNUL. At GLC it would unfortunately be people from in or around Mumbai, or extremely rich people who can afford living in Mumbai near Fort.

You will find a lot of seniors from RGNUL who will crib about the place especially from the more recent batches whose entitlement and privilege doesn't allow them to see one step further from their privilege, but you will never be able to find a senior from GLC who had a normal college life.

You can't attend classes. Classrooms are made for 40 kids something, there are a total of 100+ kids attending.

People sit outside doors. I am not exaggerating.

Placements are an important factor. If you feel that you are going to college only for that, and you are not good enough to impress people over a course of four weeks, go to GLC. Slog it out with year long internships.

You will have zero guidance about anything else. You will learn everything on your own.

At RGNUL, you will have an encouraging atmosphere with a much smarter and enterprising group of peers. You will have access to good library, databases, academics etc.

You won't find a lot of people from GLC outside Mumbai. You will find people from RGNUL almost everywhere.
This is very problematic, and is probably written either by RGNUL admin or a wide eyed junior.

While it is true that in RGNUL you are more likely to meet smarter people who have navigated the CLAT process, the quality of professors in RGNUL is terrible. Except the BA professors and 1-2 law professors all other law professors are below sub par.

This is because law professors were / are hired based on connections and not capabilities. If you have any doubt on this, go to the RGNUL website, choose 5 random law professors and see their list of publications. From this list, again randomly choose 5 papers. Read them. Then read some papers in the leading Indian law journals. You can see the difference for yourself. The professor CVs themselves set out the quality of law faculty in RGNUL. So, it is wrong to even argue that RGNUL will give you a better academic environment.

From the perspective of college life, yes, RGNUL is great. Alcohol flows like water, the draught beer is great and cheap. The food is awesome (across price bands). Chandigarh is just an hour and a half away. The general culture of maasti-yaari, sports and "cultural days" will occupy your life. Aashiqui / sex is also fairly abundant.

If you want to learn law, or critical thinking, or placements, run very fast away from RGNUL. RGNUL will only teach you the skill of how to keep bowing to inferior minds because they hold a position of authority.

Source: I am an ex-Ragnoolite.

If you have any questions, ask away.
Except for dissing on your former professors' research without any basis, you haven't given any reason as to why the college is bad.

Lot of allegations, no substantiation. Would be great if you could throw some light on how many papers you have read authored by these professors you hate. How many have you authored?

I graduated back in 2017. After 4 years, all my batchmates are doing well.

Batchmates (except one who took a break for a couple of years) are senior associates at T1 law firms (those who took the law firm route).

Plenty of them did their llm abroad.

10+ are serving as judicial officers.

Plenty have their own independent litigation practice.

There are many who are now working with banks and psus, bodies like NSE, SEBI etc.

All my seniors and juniors are doing well in their professional lives too. We have all had some bad professors, but there are plenty of good ones who taught us good law which we are thankful for till date.

IDK who you are or which batch you are from, but I am really sorry for the shitty academic experience you've had.

Feel free to reach out to any of us in case you need help academic or profesional help/guidance.

Connect with us on LinkedIn, drop a text on whatsapp. Whatever you are comfortable with.

We can take classes if there are enough number of students like you who are interested.

You will be able to find published authors (books - bloomsbury), lecturers at foreign university etc. amongst us (2017 batch).

We have armed forces officers, a journalist, and an ad agent amongst our midst too.
Quote:
Classrooms are made for 40 kids something, there are a total of 100+ kids attending.

People sit outside doors. I am not exaggerating.
Seriously laughing at this...

Where did you get this absurd idea? GLC classrooms are practically empty because most people don't attend!

As far as diversity is concerned: I don't see how going to a college that charges 2lpa for fees can be more diverse than one that charges 8k, and has 50% reservation...
Again, as an ex-Ragnoolite - RGNUL is not a safe space for anything. The teachers are absolute rats. They will curtail your independence as if you are a 15 year old girl in a boarding school. Many teachers are busy playing favorites and politics. Under the old administration, punishments and fines were grossly disproportionate to the "mistake" done - this may still be the case, as this is a legacy issue. The best problem here is, most people in the uni, are on a power trip, which is terrible.

Uni has no ragging though (no idea about GLC). And if you are into mooting, RGNUL will give a comparatively better environment.
Go for GLC any day, the reason being if you are aiming for corp or judiciary. Its flexible schedule would give you ample time to go for running internships. Plus if you aren't aiming for corp, you have good time for preparing judiciary also. But going for GLC you could miss typical hostel and campus life. Also, GLC's fees is quite low in comparison to any NLU. Furthermore, GLC has a great alumni network. It doesn't mean RGNUL is bad but GLC is any day better
Enrolled in GLC Mumbai, left Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (NLU Punjab) and I am not regretting this decision. GLC is the perfect fit for me and the amount of freedom I have recieved is incredible. The placements and internships here are great four of the five top tier law firms come here to provide with Internships, Articled Clerkships, Paralegalships asking with pre placement offers in forth year it self. Apart from that renowned advocates readily offer internships.
NLUs after 4/5th rank aren't worth the money you pay or the efforts you take to clear CLAT.
Can you please get the official recruitment stats from any GLC batch?
In that case, random anon claims here should be taken with a pinch of salt.
But I personally agree with that. The internship/placement scene is good enough if you put in the efforts. The RCC does work hard to get good recruiters and has been fairly successful in it since years.

Source: Currently in GLC.
Fun fact- most people with anti rgnul comments are CLAT guys trying to get an upgrade. Be cautious boss.
GLC Mumbai
Corporate job scene is good due to location
Legacy of the institute is still strong
advantage of alumni base
Look at profiles of high performers at GLC in their undergrad years - they have been very successful in foreign LLMs, tier 1 firms etc.