Read 33 comments as:
Filter By
I’m from a tier 1 NLU (GNLU) and I’m already in my fifth year and the semester will end by 2022. I couldn’t get any placement on day zero. I couldn’t secure a single placement until now. I have done few internships but not a tier 1 internship yet. My grades are not good either, in fact below average. Is there any hope for me? How should I approach the tier 1 firms in order to get a job there? My family isn’t that financially well off to keep sustaining my livelihood.
First off, GNLU isn't a tier 1 college. And secondly, I would suggest you start off at a T2 firm and shift after 6 months of work
Bhai don't worry. The GNLU name is enough to open doors fro direct recruitment. Don't feel bad, because you are from an NLU and are much better than private law grads, even if your grades are average by NLU standards. Chin up, keep working
don't know why you NLU people have this false sense of entitlement? is securing a job at a swanky law firm
your birth right, just because you cleared CLAT and got into an NLU? its because of people like you, who creates this divide in these T1 firms, and creates an artificial barrier to entry in the corporate world for students of private law colleges. Even if a person is 100 time more capable then an NUL grad, he will be preferred over a students of private law college, just because he has a so call brand name engraved on his CV. Kindly open your eyes and see the world with a different lenses my friend, you are an A2 now, so please grow up and leave all this law school shenanigans behind. After a certain point in your career only merit counts, not your brand name.
Well, the brand name was 'earned' by securing good CLAT ranking. We were equal in schools. Our race began with our entrance exam. Some of us worked hard and one the first lap of the race. This gave us advantage in the second lap which is to secure a good job. I don't think you have a right to complain.
Fun fact

Nobody in Law Firms gives a single damn about your (your here should be read as any) college.
This "I'm from xyz institute" only matters until you get out of there with a degree.

We've seen plenty of 5 iq muppets from NLS and NALSAR, and plenty of prodigies from 3rd rate private colleges affiliated to small state universities.
Yet you don't hire from the latter and hire the muppets in double digits.
idk what you're on about, but in my firm, atleast, every single CV that gets sent to us via careers page, gets evaluated, and we interview people who we deem worthy, be they from any place.
@4.1.1.A.1
Dude/dudess
Atleast put something on the CV for us to consider. Get a couple of internships, or an LLM, or a couple of authored papers, or clear UGC NET, or do some public interest litigation.

Just a degree won't cut it. Your goal is to make the HR, and the partner think, "hmmmm' interesting! let's talk to this guy and see what he/she brings to the table"

After that it's down to the interview.

And no, a lot of people from NLUs don't get placed if they don't have the above mentioned either.

@4.1.1.A.1.a.1

It's the one which has offices in many cities, and whose Delhi office is in Central Delhi. (Although we might move Gr. Noida soon)
Can you name the number of cities, please? It's hard to guess otherwise. Or perhaps drop more hints?
Don't go by his comment. This guy has been exposed as a fake. It's a law student pretending to be a partner, practising advocate, academic, and general troll.
Lol bruh most high earners and successful people are from prestigious colleges!
CLAT is the most overhyped exam in the country .Even Justice Chandrachud and shown u people ur true aukat by saying cracking NLU doesn't mean one has the right acumen to study law .So simmer down punk , wait till the chips are down.
While I agree with your point about the NLU entitlement, the point that you made about merit counting after a certain stage in career does not hold for entry level positions. On an average, private law schools are less prepared for these jobs (exceptions do exist). Hence the law firms prefer the NLU students. If a private law school student manages to secure an internship in a top firm and does well, they are still made an offer to. However, getting that internship is obviously way more difficult compared to NLU students.
if a person was a 100 times more capable than an NLU grad, he would then be in an NLU lol, not Jindal, SLS or whatever shithole you guys come from lol
Seriously dude, get a life. Idhar bi tier discuss karna hai? Have nothing better to contribute to discussion toh stay quiet na
Last sem hai, try and see if you can improve your Gpa even if it's an increment of 0.2-0.5, it'll come in handy.

Secondly, as someone mentioned try and connect with your alumni and get an assessment internship in any decent firm (don't get hung up on the tier rn) stay there for 6 - 18 months depending on the tier and things you learn. During this time build connections with partners/SAs/PAs at firms you would like to transition to, subtly let them know that you are looking for vacancies. You'll probably get it, unless you mess the interview.

Thirdly, if you have no publications rn, try and get 2-3 reputable blog publications in the practice area you are aiming for.

If you are unable to land a post placement offer, join a chamber which focuses on the practice area you are interested in, build your repo with your senior ask for recommendation or build repo with firms you'll be working with while being a part of the chamber.

I understand where you are coming from, I am like this to. A senior of mine while consoling me, said that "Tu soch rha hai hai ki race Yeh Hai ki naukri kiski Pehle lagi, lekin Asli race Yeh Hai ki Kiska kitni jaldi skill development hua aur Naam bana" this guy suffered badly in terms of acad during college, barely passed, but rn he's doing good work and working on high profile cases. The exposure is good, and he's doing better everyday.

People like you and me need to understand that out first job won't be our last and it'll never decide how high we can reach. It's difficult to accept this truth when everyone around you is having seemingly great jobs right after college, but early success will mostly hinder your development and potential growth, great things will take time; heck, down the line, who knows you might be killing it some other field and law might just be a transient part of your life.

I won't ask you to chill, because it's difficult to calm down, but don't give up. Never.
Bro, you need to chill and keep approaching T1/T2 firms. Believe me, they are bleeding A0/A1 associates, there are a lot of openings that are coming up on a regular basis. Maybe they won't consider you now cause you haven't graduated yet; but with the GNLU Tag, you'll get into some team sooner or later.
It is sad to see the TiEr 1 EnAluU constest here, the chap needs some serious advise here.

Getting to the point, send your CV to as many firms as you can, since you are from a good college some firm or other would give you a chance. Have an extremely strong grip over the basics of the practice area which you wish to join. Does not matter if the firm is tier-2 or 3, once you get some experience you can easily shift to a T1. If you are unable to get even a tier 3 firm(very unlikely, you should get at least 1 firm), then join a commercial lit/disputes chambers and switch to a T1 or T2 firm after a year or two of experience.
Funny how people here are being insecure about college rankings instead of asking the question and helping the person out.
By the way, don't worry, I know the anxiety can set in, but in the end, everything works out. You might not land a flashy CAM/SAM job come May but can always start at a good T2 moving your way upwards.
I see so much covering up everywhere.

Most people who don't join a National Law University were not able to clear CLAT. While that is not a testament to the skills of those not studying in an NLU, it does speak volumes about those who do.

Students at NLU have a better aptitude and peer group in general.

While many private colleges such as JGLS, SLS, Nirma have decent students, the majority are unfortunately never as smart as the ones who are at any of the top 10-15 NLUs - NLS, NALSAR, NLUD, NLUJ, NUJS, NLIU, GNLU, RGNUL, RML, NUALS, NLUO, HNLU, MNLU etc.

While there is nothing much which differentiates people between the 15 point score, as the gap widens, the quality deteriorates.

Of course there are exceptions, but it is always easier for law firms to filter as it is safe.

If you are not from a Tier 1 / Tier 2 NLU, get some experience, prove your mettle and make the playing field even.

Good luck!

Don't crib!
Bro dont worry abhi rolling applications ayenge for recruitment. Khaitan and Saraf came last year ekdm end mei before the last end semester examinations for immediate recruitment. Very likely that'll happen again chill out.
A 43-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 41-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 19-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 20-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 11-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 17-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 2-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.