Read 39 comments as:
Filter By
Hey guys last year I gave CLAT and AILET with a months preperation and scored an abysmal rank. Having no other options I took a complete drop without any coaching to prepare for this year and being not even gonna lie due to my own failure i fucked up my exam again this year and got a rank in 5-6k range. I have taken admission in VIPS Delhi (can't afford other pvt College) under IP University and was thinking about writing clat and ailet again next year.

I had some issues in COVID 2nd wave and some other important issues at home that affected my studies but that tbh I know it is just me justifying my inadequate efforts. The very fact that I wasted 1.5 years and had to settle for my current college gave me anxiety for a week... I know it sounds crazy.

I'm a first gen law student with no big contacts. How fucked am I? Should I try one last time? Has anyone here done it, if yes what did you change? Any help is appreciated
Thank you
My case was pretty much like yours, only that I cracked NDA (with a drop) but I was declared medically unfit. I took admission in a local college (Bsc) and started preparing for CLAT. I'll be honest with you here, it hurts.

It hurts when you see your friends settling down somewhere. When your juniors from your school become your seniors. When you go out for a function/party, every other uncle/aunt would bombard with the same question, "Kya kr rhe ho? You'll see your parent's ka ekdm tuta hua face, you'll cry inside with a fake laugh outside.
Your friends might taunt you covertly, like bhai tu to kafi late kamayga and all.

Now the good side. (Please read completely)
Simple answer (there is no good side)
Suffering will be there, you might start hating yourself but.... Channelize the hatred, make every taunt your weapon. Love yourself for not giving up. Whenever you feel like taking a break, think about the taunts, make it your weapon.
Don't think of any excuses, just study, study and study hard. If you make it to top3 or even top 5, it'll be better.

In my case, I took CLAT for the first attempt after my NDA tragedy thingy, but I was able to do decent in it. I'd love to see you rocking next year. Your parents will again be proud.

Also, you can always continue with your course, but I'd recommend opt for a BA you'll get diversity right after 3 years.
Goodluck, hopefully you succeed.
Omfg yes! What you've said is absolutely correct. Seeing my batchmates in 2 year in SRCC and IITs it hurts ngl, juniors becoming batchmates and maybe seniors next year feels wierd. My father paid my fee for this year and paying again next year will be hard.
But as you said if i make top 3 ir 5 it'll be worth it.

But i have failed clat twice now so maybe I dont have the aptitude for it?
You're absolutely right, you don't have the aptitude to crack the exam, but you can still do fine from VIPS
How can you say that whether someone has the aptitude to clear the exam or not?

Don't you think it sounds rude.
What he said was absolutely fine.

There are candidates who crack top 3 NLUs while being in 11th and then there are candidates that manage get a T-3 NLU with a drop year.You can't say that one is better than the other with surety, but you can definitely infer that one has more aptitude to crack the exam than the other. It's not really rude if you're not correlating someone's performance in an exam to his potential in the field. Cheers! 🥂
You can if the exam doesn't have any bearing with your professional perfomance. Like CLAT has got nothing to do with how good a lawyer you can be.
CLAT is unpredictable yes, if I were you I'd start looking forward. Maybe CAT or masters abroad. Please believe me when I say this, you still got time.
You may try CLAT, but I'd strictly recommend you not to go all in. Maintain good grades in your undergrad(must for foreign scholarship)
Keep working hard and try to explore.

There's a big world out there, Law/Engineering are just subsets of it.
Hi so.. I'm too preparing for CLAT and I'm so damn serious about it. I do hardwork a lot but still mock scores are in 60s. Sometimes when I practice through study material I realize that I'll not be able to Crack it. It hurts a lot when I realize and imagine heartbroken faces of my parents because of disappointment. I don't know what to do.. please help .
bro give it some time mock scores often plateau it's okay don't stress about in your imagination. Like they say we suffer more in imagination than in reality. Just keep grinding analyse your mock mistakes be regular with gk and qt and don't lose hope.
You can give it a shot along with your 1st year. At worst you will be promoted to 2nd year and hence you wouldn't lose anything.
Yes that's what I am hoping to do now and should've done last year itself
Seconded, and only T1 NLU only if your goal is making lots of money with not much work life balance. Otherwise do a business degree/engg/eventual MBA instead, overall better. (Unless you're very passionate about the law etc. for some personal reason)
Clearly your Tier 1s don't have any work life balance as things stand (see the LI threads cribbing for how one must quit after 3 years), as far as money goes... To say 5%-15%from any NLU below top 5 will also start at the same A0 level as your Tier 1 Supreme blood, I don't think any A2 would earn more just because they come from a "better place" and not due to their work.

The amount of crap in terms of extreme statements which is spilled on LI is just unfathomable at time, this one being in the Tier 1 league of such comments too.
PS- I joined NLUJ from RML, I have had school senior in NLUJAA Assam who went to grab a tier 1 job in his 8th sem end itself, so while I do not regret any time or resource spent in hopping to NLUJ, I'm cent damn certain I would not have left RML with anything below a 5 fig salary too, it always depends on what you make out of your law school than what your law school will make of you.
What is the relation of this comment to the one above? Why are you all so angry all the time if it really doesn't matter? How did you even assume I am from a tier 1? Nobody said the salaries would be different? It's just far easier to get then and that's a fact.

"5%-15%from any NLU below top 5 will also start at the same A0 level as your Tier 1 Supreme blood, I don't think any A2 would earn more just because they come from a "better place" and not due to their work" What? Who said this?
It's a well known fact buddy, A0s will start roughly at the same spot irrespective of you being from no1 college or no 9, the second point made by the person is also accurate, there are cases of tier 1 grads earning less than the tier 2 3ish passouts after 4-5 years basis the knowledge and work you've done, what do you even want to contest here?
As someone who started Law at 25, entered the Bar at 28 and currently an A2 at a T2 firm, I would say it never is too late and you are doing as good or as bad as you tell yourself in your mind to be.
I don't know if you should or shouldn't but I will set a clear picture. I have a gap of 3 years and I am in NLUJ now. So there are various reasons why I gave CLAT four times.
1. I got a third tier NLU after my 12th which made me overconfident.
2. I wasted my first drop year and didn't study at all and hence had the motivation to take it again. If you have already given your best maybe it's not for you.
3. My father fell sick and somehow I wasted my second year as well.
4. I joined a college in Delhi and in a month or two realised that I am never going to get a job from here. I was planning to do a LLM from NLUs, only to find that it's worthless and I still won't get a job.

So the reason I gave CLAT so many times was because I didn't know anything else to do. My maths was atrocious and I would have never made it an IIM or a decent MBA college. Nor was I a second generation lawyer so I couldn't have rode on my father's sucess. I couldn't have done UPSC because I had no confidence left. Also, this year I was extremely motivated because I realised I had no future in this college and so it took me only 28 days to clear CLAT this year and get a ranker under 300. So this tells you CLAT isn't a difficult exam provided you prepare for it seriously and not waste time like I did.

Pros of getting into a T1 law school
• I don't need to worry about placements anymore because I know if I do well in college I will get it.
• My parents are happy they don't feel ashamed to go out anymore because their son studies in a T1 law school.
• The scope to learn has increased exponentially, I get help from my seniors and also get significant amount of resources which I didn't in my previous law school.
• Relief, because in my previous law school I knew I wouldn't get placed. Now though I might.

Cons
• My friends have started getting jobs and have moved way ahead than me.
• The constant worry that I might be considered a nincompoop in law school and may not get a job.
• I still need to work really hard because of my age also I am not sure about my future. On top of that I am not in NLS, NALSAR or NLUD so I am not 100% sure that I will get a job.
• I don't really have an option to switch careers or pursue a LLM. That's primarily because I just don't have the time, I have already started late and I am already lagging behind.
• Lastly, getting a NLU is different than getting into a medical college or clearing UPSC. So my social status hasn't increased much was most people don't know about NLUs.

So, if I was you I would join a BA college and then prepare for CLAT. Also, if you are good in maths just do a MBA instead. I had no choice but you might have.
Wow thank you for such a detailed answer. I relate to your exp alot. What was different in your final attempt which helped you finally crack it?

Also any other downside of being eldest person in your batch?
This was an awesome reply man. I'm glad that you really took the time to guide this person. I'm just sick of people who like to crack jokes on LI that aren't even funny. Sending you positive vibes my dude.
3 isn't much. 15 years down the line it wouldn't even matter, especially in law.
Speaking as a graduate of a 'tier one' NLU, tiers are only good for train reservations.
Why did you have a fear of being considered a nincompoop ? At what age u joined ?
I started may law career at the age of 27 (I worked after my undergrad then studied law under a 3 year LLB format). Those who go for a 5 year law degree become SA3 or PA at 27. But I have no qualms. I am at tier 1 right now - earning good.

We don't have much experience of life when we are at school and we tend to judge ourselves by the the general yardsticks of society. But all of us are different in so many ways - our circumstances, motivations, etc. are different. There cannot be one size fits all.

Enjoy your life. Do best in your given circumstances. Do not compare yourself with others. You are not a rat and your life is not a race.
How the fuck does anyone become SA3 at 27?

SA3 requires 7 PQE. That means that the person becoming SA3 at 27 would have passed out of Law School at 20, and passed out of 12th at 15.

I do not know where you live, but in my India, 18 is the average age to pass out of 12th.
I gave my board exams and decided to not get into my father's business and the career I had been wanting to pursue, I was too scared to. My percentage in 12th Board was 60 Percent. Gave CLAT, LSAT, etc. got good ranks in both since maybe had aptitude for these exams and not lengthy writing ones.

Got a 100 percent scholarship in JGLS based on LSAT score and joined JGLS at 17. It was still difficult for my family to come up with the hostel fee but somehow they did. Did decent in 5 years but since didn't have the aptitude for end sems didn't get a campus placement.

Worked very hard in my 5th year and got a really good job in a T2 firm at the age of 22.
Just scored badly in end sems. Probably don't remember what is required or don't frame my answers properly. I have no clue. But entrance exams are something I have always aced.
I prepared for 2 months and got 1200 rank. So sad, I am sure you worked hard, but sometimes pressure moments don't allow you to perform.
Whatever you end up choosing, don't neglect your mental health. Addressing these issues with a professional will help you get to your goals in a more manageable and efficient manner.