Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
I am a recent law graduate and in five years of college education, I found that two important skills were not taught or in general lacked in the general set of students that passed out; Drafting and Voicing (basically how do you use your voice). So I designed a practice enabled course around these two skills where students have to practice drafting (based on mock facts) and voicing (again based on mock court arguments) and get evaluated by experienced industry seniors.

I have commenced this course but have found that students are not interested in learning these things. Only two people have enrolled so far. Even some practising lawyers who I approached to be resource persons were not very convinced. I like to believe that such a course would allow students to improve their competency.

But I am seriously confused if students want to learn these things. Or is my pitch to both students and senior lawyers wrong? I again like to believe that any senior lawyer who has spent 20+ years in the field would want to give back in some form.

I am genuinely at the end of my wits. Should I chuck the whole idea?
Call centres will teach how to use voice in 1 week v&a training and in fact pay you 15-20k during training period. Drafting one learns with experience depending on needs of clients.
How much are you charging the student? It might be possible that your pricing is incorrect and most students are not able to afford the course.
Rs. 8,000 for a total of 24 sessions spread out over 2 months. Is it correct in your opinion?
That's too many sessions to teach voice modulation and drafting tips. As someone above rightly pointed out:

Quote:
Call centres will teach how to use voice in 1 week v&a training and in fact pay you 15-20k during training period. Drafting one learns with experience depending on needs of clients.
Most of the things to be learnt are learnt when tested against real world situations. Pre-packaged module containing decontextualized pragmatic experience is not going to have that sticky factor as experience gathered in the trenches.
Agree 100% that drafting is a critical skill for lawyers and we don’t get enough training in law school
You don't even study enough in law school to read the actual theory, so how will someone teach you how to draft?
The firms complain about lack of skill and having to invest substantial time to train fresh lawyers. If this is part of a training course and the law firm can benefit, get them to be your clients. If the course upskills a lawyer and the firm benefits, no brainer to charge 8k. no brainer even 80k. Question is how good can you upskill at lawyer and do the firms feel the course is worth it. my firm did invest in me to be sent to finance and accounts course and it was much more expensive.
I hope you are paying someone to clean it up and not simply relying on LI readers to mop it up from where you are dumping it regularly on this forum.