Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
My fellow corporate clerks,

I just want to tell you that it does get better. It really breaks my heart to see interns and A0s worry about being fired or burning out. I saw some comment about someone crying every day because of work. This is not how it is supposed to be.

This is how it was for me until a couple of months back. After law school, I tried to follow my passion and went into litigation. I was barely sleeping and had no social life but I did not care one bit. I loved the work so much. It made me so happy. But my wallet always brought me back to reality and never forgot to remind me that I came from a middle-class family with financial responsibilities.

So I went to "greener" pastures or so I thought. The work was still somewhat interesting and the pay was decent but damn my senior was rude. I try to see the good in everyone but I never got the chance with them. Not being nice is one thing but the senior was also utterly incompetent and used to take it out on me. The micromanagement was also something I want to forget. One day, the straw broke the camel's back and I quit. With nothing in hand.

Now, less than 3 months after quitting, I am now at a much better place (in all senses of the term). The pay is good and my senior is smart and nice. I get off work at 7:30 and weekends are to myself. I do not worry about work anymore and my hair has stopped graying. I realized that work is supposed to be very transactional. You should give what you get paid for. If it gets too much, show the finger.

I still have a long ways to go and my goal is to save enough to set up my own chamber. Working for myself, I will have no problem working 20 hours a day, seven days a week. But I will not expect my juniors to do so and I believe that is how it should be.

My only intention in writing this is to show that if you pay your dues, you may see better days. It is not a guarantee because as you know, life is an Ahole. But it doesn't hurt to dream.

Please share happy stories about your career so that our fellow clerks know it gets better. TIA
Can people here tell how has their experience been to leave a job without an offer in hand? PQE 2 (or any PQE)

Do potential employers look down upon it. How long a break is appropriate, 1 year or less?

Please do reply…
If I may. People usually take a break to figure out what works for them. In several cases, they go back. If you are clear why you took a break and why you want to come back and honest about it, it's understandable. But given how hectic the profession is, including the need to be completely upto date, a break often gives a disadvantage of trying to play catch up again. The longer the break, the longer the catch up.

- R
I think the lesser you comment the better. Being a mod out here please do your job on moderation. I've seen constant silly comments and advices from you since a while. Or please comment as "guest". With power comes responsibility. Such a comment could confuse the hell out of a person. The more junior you are too, the lesser chances to get back! It depends on various factors especially vacancy. Even if that exists, plenty of firms would have an apprehension of hiring a 2018 batch who left in 2019....to reapply in 2020...when a 2019 batch has same experience as 2019 n 2018 being seniors!

I was damn happy thinking kian fired you... This is really shocking that you are using your "tag" Spreading misinformation yet again and being as naive as this! Please keep your comments to yourself. I have no idea how many careers you could destroy with your amateur comments and advice. @kian... Can this R just moderate and please keep his "comments" And "advice" From a neutral post like the rest that no innocent minds are influenced looking at the "legally India" Tag? This is like that teaching group on LinkedIn spreading misinformation for personal gain. Being a news website this should be neutral and no such "legally India" Tag should influence young minds. Or please... I was happy if he was fired! Been reading LI since 2009 or whatever. This is the lowest I have seen! With 10+ years experience and recruiting at most junior levels, I personally do not agree with this comment! Imagine a junior following it!
Law firms dont care about career break but it does matter for HR teams in companies for in house jobs.
"I realized that work is supposed to be very transactional. You should give what you get paid for. If it gets too much, show the finger."

This is something every employer who gives a fixed fee and expects unlimited work needs to hear.