Read 1 comments as:
Filter By
My fellow corporate clerks,

I just want to tell you that it does get better. It really breaks my heart to see interns and A0s worry about being fired or burning out. I saw some comment about someone crying every day because of work. This is not how it is supposed to be.

This is how it was for me until a couple of months back. After law school, I tried to follow my passion and went into litigation. I was barely sleeping and had no social life but I did not care one bit. I loved the work so much. It made me so happy. But my wallet always brought me back to reality and never forgot to remind me that I came from a middle-class family with financial responsibilities.

So I went to "greener" pastures or so I thought. The work was still somewhat interesting and the pay was decent but damn my senior was rude. I try to see the good in everyone but I never got the chance with them. Not being nice is one thing but the senior was also utterly incompetent and used to take it out on me. The micromanagement was also something I want to forget. One day, the straw broke the camel's back and I quit. With nothing in hand.

Now, less than 3 months after quitting, I am now at a much better place (in all senses of the term). The pay is good and my senior is smart and nice. I get off work at 7:30 and weekends are to myself. I do not worry about work anymore and my hair has stopped graying. I realized that work is supposed to be very transactional. You should give what you get paid for. If it gets too much, show the finger.

I still have a long ways to go and my goal is to save enough to set up my own chamber. Working for myself, I will have no problem working 20 hours a day, seven days a week. But I will not expect my juniors to do so and I believe that is how it should be.

My only intention in writing this is to show that if you pay your dues, you may see better days. It is not a guarantee because as you know, life is an Ahole. But it doesn't hurt to dream.

Please share happy stories about your career so that our fellow clerks know it gets better. TIA