Read 95 comments as:
Filter By
Now that Trilegal has hiked salaries for all incoming 2022 A0s, do you think other firms will follow suit? Especially CAM & SAM; a salary hike at these firms is long due.
People hired recently (and joining in 2022) have received new offer letters with 1.2 lakh per month fixed and 2.35 bonus (compared to 1.1 per month and 2.2 bonus for those joining in 2021 and before).
Trilegal really did a sensible job. Ultimately what is the use of accumulating so much money without any use in this lifetime .cheerful young lawyers are the real assets. The big size office with big smiling faces ... Do it bro for young guns and others are bound to follow
Hi!
Any idea after how many days of a successful interview your friend receive his/her offer?
My brother has also been confirmed n placed @Trilegal for 2022, but is yet to receive an offer letter or other official communication from them!

Plllleeaaze do help if you know the answer to this! He is very anxious about this haha
Thnx!
I got my offer letter on the same day as my second stage of the interview. Within 6-7 hours. I know some juniors who got their result and offer letters from Trilegal a few days (3-4) after their interviews concluded.
I will be grateful as well if you could provide us with the timeline of events for your junior. What was the time between his interview, confirmation and receipt of that offer letter
Please do reply @Trilegal A0
3-4 days between interview and result/offer letter. I got it on the same day as my interview. Offer letter usually is the result and there is no 'announce result today - give offer letter later' policy. Could be some delays in the latter but I would imagine less than a week even in the worst-case scenario.
There is now, WEF from April 2021. There is a separate conversation thread on this.
That makes Trilegal the best pay-master in so-called Big 6, assuming no rise in the 2.2 bonus. Though the margin on KCO is only 40k which seemed to be the erstwhile league topper if the figures at https://www.legallyindia.com/convos/topic/181177-Updated-Fresher-Pay-Tabulation#comments are to be believed.

Revised Trilegal: 14.4+2.2
KCO: 14.4 + 1.8 - Trilegal Margin 40k
CAM: 13.5 + 1.5 - Trilegal Margin: Whooping 1.6 L extra
SAM: 15: Same
AZB: 14 + 1.5: 1.1 L extra, a full month's salary (something that I can tell definitely feels a lot if you work at AZB)
L&L: 13.8 + 2.2 (60k extra but I've heard L&L bonuses are for a lot of people in the 50% range i.e. 1.1-1.3 (including the 50k already paid as signing). Apparently S&P is also matching L&L and also has some of the teams which were paid good bonuses while at L&L though noone knows what'll happen at S&F ofcourse.

Considering Trilegal's reputation of paying bonus fairly (I hear that barely anyone is paid less than 50%), I think its quite the raise. If thats true, it guarantees even the worst performer at Tri, 50k more than the best at SAM. Hope some MP's ego is big enough to want to be the bigger man and show Trilegal that they're the boss. Finally, a day when MP's egos might help...

Also technically, Trilegal has been the best paymaster at this level for the last 2 years considering the 1 month extra salary over bonus they dropped in that class act last FY, if they do something similar for this year too.
Bonus for 2022 joiners has also been revised to 2.35 so their highest possible retainer (not prorated for the 9 months they actually work) would be 16.75 lakhs.
They're stuck in 2008. 80k for new A0s with no bill share until they complete a year, so A1s get 95-1.05 a month with 8% bill share. Total payout still makes them industry leaders in pay, but the gap isn't as wide as it used to be.
Not sure about the status of the 2.2L bonus at Trilegal, but the 1.8L bonus for KCO is very rarely paid out to anyone. The highest I've seen in my few years there was 1.2. And when I say rare, I mean unicorn rare.
Someone please tell me this. I heard this year they paid 75k because of covid. Any idea how much bonus do they pay generally to A0s?
I've also heard about Trilegal bonuses in passing only. Maybe should have mentioned it as a disclaimer, sorry. Would appreciate if some of our now best-paid colleagues can confirm and can also tell us whether they have heard anything about receiving a similar hike across all levels? Presumably, Trilegal won't be paying it's A1s and A0s the same amount next year?
Trilegal has done the following two things -
1. They reduced bonus component and increased monthly pay
2. Increased overall salary bands by 30% straight away
I do not know about other levels, but at the A0 level there was an increase of about 60k per annum. Don't think that is anywhere close to 30%.
Its nice to have an increase and the firm has been nice but lets not give wrong numbers.
Um, a couple of weeks ago? You do know that firms have been recruiting- PPOs as well as Day Zero.
I really hope this is true, but I am an A0 at Trilegal I have not heard of any increase in pay. Unless there was some particular A0 who was told, I don't think this source is accurate.
I was 10.1.2. Correction - we received an updated email from the firm. The numbers have increased.
@Kian can you do a story on this? This is a nice hike and every T1 should follow suit.
What will you do with this money when you will be burnt in 2 years out due to the toxic culture that they are known for?
All the tier one firms have toxic culture. Individuals might be the exceptions, the firms are not. Might as well make the most money while getting poisoned.
More interested in knowing- what are they doing about burnouts? The yelling culture. The need to make everyone feel that they arent 'good enough'
Is CAM ever going to listen forget about raise, A0s who joined last year did not even get a signing bonus even though it's now been a year
You think that is mean? Have you not heard about Trainee positions at some of these tier Is?

Firms will save All they can really to exploit mentally and financially. Leave when there is still time
But what about other levels? Trilegal gives increments in July I think.
what about other tier 1 firm increments when do they usually announce it?
Other levels have also received a hike WEF April 2021 (so arrears have been paid to all except those who joined this July. We [newly-minted A0s] have received 1.02L [post-tax] instead of the expected 99k). There is a separate, new, thread on this on LI itself.
When Cyril Shroff used to do pre-placement talks at my NLU, he'd often say "some firm or the other may outpay us at A0 level, so we never claim we're the highest entry-level employer. But stick around, and we're market leading at every level after that"

This was back when he ran the Mumbai office of Amarchand Mangaldas, but it's still a good basis to judge firms. Not suggesting CAM pays more at higher levels, but if they did, this A0 comparison would be a bad reason to not join them.

Disclaimer: I went to the pre-placement talks just for the food, and joined a litigation practice when I graduated.
That would have been a great reason if they paid more at higher levels - but isn't true either. CAM pays less at every level now. Too many people realise this at A3 level and quit before they make SA because SA at other firms get more.
At Nalsar, the RCC pays for the pizza, so effectively it's the subscribers' money. It took me a while to find this out. I always thought the firms coming for the talk paid xD
Woh woh! You guys claimed reimbursement for food from the firms?

Have to admit defeat if that is true.
CAM is at the bottom of the paymaster list at A3 and above, even below JSA which notoriously pays peanuts to its lawyers because of the bill sharing system
Can someone verify this? Would be surprising if Trilegal's equity partners make less than CAM's salaried partners!
Depends on what you join as-

Permanent Intern [The time after your exams end but before your degree comes through] - 25k.
Junior Associate [After your degree comes through, and for ~6 months] - 65k
Full associate [A0]- 1.1-1.2 L

Most likely you will be joining as Permanent Intern.
That's because firms issue press release to Bar and Bench and not to LI. It's not like Bar and Bench broke the story through some investigative reporting.
At KCO SAs are making 35 as base plus 10 bonus. What is a first year SA making at Trilegal.now?
Are you drunk 35+10=45? it must be 35 overall inclusive of bonus? Even then I have heard it was 31-32 this year, not 35.
Honestly, don't understand the hype about it. The mid law firms are at par with these top tier firms when it comes to the pay scale. Many don't even publicly announce these because it's not required.
One obvious example I have seen time and again is Veritas Legal. Since the pandemic (2020) they have not just hired more lawyers, but also increased the A0 pay to 14lac per annum + variable bonus. There are many other mid firms paying at par with tier 1s. Maybe it's time we shift our focus to younger firms because they are equally competent and offer a good culture and work opportunities.
I second that. Good point raised there. We are so obsessed with tier 1s.
Bonus could not be correct - I got 10 L as bonus at SA1 around 2 years ago.
Is it reasonable to think that other firms will follow suit and hike salaries? Or is that a distant dream?
Very interesting to see how people start looking for alt employment opportunities just a month into the firms. Most of the people realise too late that money paid is not worth the life-sucking experience (of many) at quite a few of these places.
Nobody here has mentioned about the revised pay at Trilegal at A3 and SA1 level.

Kindly provide inputs.

I expect A3 to be getting around 28-30 and SA1 around 35 LPA after the recent revision. Is this true?
Don't forget to deduct pill bills for mental health

Trilegal salary even is hike by 10 percent the hours snd politics is up by 60percent

So that is 10 percent hike for 60 percent more work.
If their offer letter says 1.2 per month, then it is mostly likely pre-tax. As an A1, from July-end I am supposed to get approx. 1.34 pre-tax (and post TDS approx. 1.2), plus arrears for April, May and June. It is unlikely that an A0 (2022 joinee) will get the same post-tax as my cohort (A1)