Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Ive recently got a decent score enough to qualify for NALSAR and NUJS+ 0.1% chance for NLSIU
Considering various factors, and not relying on the NIRF rankings, have NLS and NALSAR retained their prestigious positions. Why is NUJS consistently marked 3rd even though it has fared really well?
First of all, you are not from NUJS, so you lack any real information about the place. For instance, I would bet that you cannot even name 3 faculty members who have moved from NUJS to NLSIU in the last decade. Because so far, only one person has made that shift during that period, that too less than a month back.

Secondly, how would you know about faculty quality? You haven't been a student there. And don't start saying that you have friends studying there who have told you. That sorry excuse of dual anonymous hearsay just does not wash. I'm not commenting about the faculty quality, just that you are in no position to comment about it.

Finally, I doubt anyone from NUJS would really argue that they would have left NLSIU to go to NUJS (barring city constraints), and perhaps not NALSAR either, even though the graduate outcome of these three places remain more or less comparable still.
Dude/dudette:
1. If you get into NLS, go for it. Forget rankings (which it continues to top), but the alumni base is unparalleled. And there is a circular causation - top people go to NLS because they think it is the top choice, and because the top people are there, outcomes are likely to be the best (of course, there are great people at other top NLUs). But this advantage remains. Plus, the Sudhir era has seen more focus and push for faculty, research, and infrastructure. This is an added advantage. On the other hand, it is no longer a place where you can so easily follow your own pathways. Pre-Sudhir moot wins, Rhodes, Day Zero, UPSC success was all a function of the freedom, the ability and enabling/flexible admin. Sudhir is not flexible it remains to be seen if this will stifle student initiative lead to poorer outcomes.

2. NALSAR over NUJS. Former has a better campus, better faculty and generally a pool of students (due to CLAT performance). But Faizan runs a tight ship, so you won't have the freedom that NUJS still affords (I'm told). NUJS is really slipping, so don't head there unless you're sure you will make the most of your 5 years without any admin pressure/prodding. Many do well, in fact a self driven Noojie is often doing much better at a personal level than a flow with the diktat, Faizan-schooled person from NALSAR.
Mostly agree but not with the part on Faizan.

He is one of the most flexible VCs who possibly gives all the freedom students want - whether academic or otherwise.
In the final years - NALSAR has more elective options (I've seen your course selection modules) so that's a plus that you get to choose what you want to do.
Also, Faizan started (or is at least planning to start) UPSC coaching for aspirants.

Ofc, NUJS comes with its own set of advantages - city connectivity, the Informal Discussion Group is probably the most active cell across NLUs - with almost weekly discussions hosting renown personalities on matters of contemporary importance.

At the end of the day, it does not make much of a difference between NALSAR and NUJS - could factor in personal preference for city.

However, I'd still say NALSAR because - the sprawling campus gives a true "college" experience. Sure, NUJS must also give one, but having a full stadium and multiple auditorium capacity halls is fun.
- The same point Complexmatt made about circular attraction - historically, NALSAR has been #2 in clat (not that it makes much of a difference - clat is a joke as a test of intelligence anyway)
- Second hand knowledge: heard that NUJS admin is a pain.

All observations in good faith, all my love to NUJS
Downvoted as you have no clue about FM yet shit on him confidence of a law school undergrad. Aap pakade gaye.
Not looking at how these colleges have been in the past. Or how they portray themselves now. But taking a long view and looking at how these institutions maybe in the future- Iā€™d go nls first, maybe NLUD next, then nalsar, then NUJS.
NLS is a cut able all. I personally don't like Delhi area ( women safety, general degree of rudeness, arrogance of power , weather, pollution ), so cant imagine spending 5 best years of my life in Jindal or NLUD. NALSAR and NUJS are mostly same ( liberal campus, good placements, reputation, decent alumni base ). The real decider is between Hyderabadi biryani and Bengali sweets.
You underestimate Calcutta Biryani. A lot of people find it way better than the Hyderabadi counterpart.
As someone who went to NALSAR, Hyderabadi biryani sucks balls. But do come for beer by the lake, Shankar's, dhabas and Nanking!

PS: Some of these places may no longer exist, but there would be others for you to create memories.
They're still there! (Although Shankar's is now being run by his son Sai)
Hi,

URGENT, CLAT PREFERENCES NEED TO BE PUT IN TONIGHT!

Considering the current situation at NLS (Strict academics, no freedom for extra-curriculars, large batch size etc), would you recommend picking NALSAR over NLS in the preference list?
Sorry, too late on moderation, but good luck with the exam! Either choice you picked would have been fine, don't worry :)
I think you should pick NALSAR over NLS now. Large batch size plus domicile quota is a huge turn-off.
As if NALSAR doesn't have a larger vertical domicile reservation unlike NLS, which has a horizontal reservation
You are not from NALSAR. Please do not misrepresent yourself as an insider.
Hey bro,

I think you should choose NALSAR anyway. Because I was in the same confusion when I got the CLAT results. But as I have heard, NUJS admin is very toxic and unreliable and in recent times, I have heard their infrastructure and everything is really depleting. On the other hand, NALSAR has put huge amount of money in renovating classrooms - 3rd year onwards completed, rest are also being done in the course of the break. These are digitally equipped classrooms. And some of the faculty recruitments have also being going on. And the law professors are really good, can vouch for them. Rest assured, you wouldn't regret the decision of taking NALSAR. But all the best!
NUJS classrooms have been 'digitally equipped' since the last few years already. As for admin toxicity, nobody tops the legendary Dhanda in that direction.
**The following are my preferences- are they correct? I'm already in a T3 NLU in a remote location, prepping for multiple, diverging fields all at once-**1

National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bengaluru

NALSAR University of Law (NALSAR), Hyderabad

The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS), Kolkata

National Law University (NLU), Jodhpur

The National Law Institute University (NLIU), Bhopal - B.A.LL.B (Hons.)

Gujarat National Law University (GNLU), Gandhinagar

Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University (RMLNLU), Lucknow

Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU), Raipur

Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL), Punjab

National Law University Odisha (NLUO)

The National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS), Kochi

Tamil Nadu National Law University (TNNLU), Tiruchirappalli - B.A.LL.B. (Hons.)

Chanakya National Law University (CNLU), Patna - B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)

Chanakya National Law University (CNLU), Patna - B.B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)

Maharashtra National Law University (MNLU), Mumbai
Will recommend you to not to Choose these types of colleges because of such hefty fees,,they lack in infra, mess, quality education too ,,, either for 3 years or 5 years,,, totally waste of money!

Either you can go for "GLC" or "ILS" or "BHU" or any other "xyz college"!!

{Don't obey me and later you will regret!!}
I am already regretting wasting the time to read your rant. Does that count?
A 19-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.