Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Hi!
So I recently gave CLAT and I am expecting as per my score, that I would easily get a t5 law college. I also have an offer from New York University where I would primarily study an intersection of Social Sciences and Business. I have a decent scholarship there but my main concern is that I want to do law and I might not be able to do law in future if I go to NYU cause like a JD is super expensive and there aren't many ( I would say any) substantial scholarships for international students also I would be using a substantial amount of my personal finance for my undergrad. Now again, I do not plan to stay in India after finishing my law degree here (if I plan to) and practically everyone is telling me not to go to NLU if I have a shot at NYU, their argument being that the Indian Legal System is skewed and my imagination is too ideal for law which is very different from practise but I am still unsure.
Inshort, I really want to do law but I don't really want to stay in India but then I can't study law abroad yet and studying law after undergrad is super expensive but the exposure of NYU is certainly greater than NLUs and I can go on and on contradicting both points. How do I make a decision on this?
Is this even a question? NYU is 10000x better than Top Indian Institutes like IITs , IIMs , ISB let alone the top NLUs .
Basically, it boils down to what's higher on your priority list either studying law or living abroad. If you can sacrifice your love for law then there are limitless opportunities waiting for you when you graduate from NYU. If you still plan to do law after your time at NYU, it would make no sense and will put you under a lot of financial burden. Better go to a t5 NLU and later move abroad for LLM.
Go to NYU. I had the exact situation as yours - I chose to take a seat at NLUJ because I thought I'll be able to enter the profession in five years, but I wish I had gone to NYU.
4 years bachelor's degree in US is damn costly - Atleast $350'000 or 3 crore. You need a 4 year degree to do a JD there.

Suggestion - Study 5 Year LLB - Bcom/BBA in India (not more than lakhs - $20k) and then go to US for a JD.

You will have an Indian Law Degree (which is even better than a random bachelor's there) and you will be dual qualified - many more opportunities for you. You can go for JD or LLM after that.
I don’t want to discourage you but until you have a father here who is a senior or a partner, law will be very hard and unrewarding. Go to NYU but instead of a jd work for a few years in something like consulting and then see if you still want to do law. (This is very common in the us) places like Harvard and Yale law school(the best there) even encourage this and have a special deferred program. Law in India can be fun and may look glamorous but this is true only for those with a family of seniors, judges or partners in the corporate field. Even if you come from a wealthy family, it still wouldn’t be easy. The profession reeks of nepotism. My father is a first gen who became a senior, he decided to stay in India instead of doing an mba in the us. He makes good money now but still regrets it. He feels he has lost half of his life doing this. He may have a fancy car and a fancy house but he feels like he could’ve done something more rewarding. Sorry for rambling.