Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Are there any M&A or General Corporate Law firms in Kolkata for interning in those fields?
Khaitan is there in Kolkata which does general corporate work but are there others?
My understanding is Kolkata is very much litigation heavy with not enough corporate work because of the lack of companies in the city. Maybe with the Silicon Valley project in a few years time the corporate work may increase a bit but highly doubt there will be any M&A work ever.
SAM has an office. So do Argus, LKS, and HSA. Aquilaw too, a KCO breakaway. Not much M&A. But Gen Corp is there. ITC too has some work. ICICI has some financial matters, though more related with Banking for obvious reasons.
No, Kolkata will never get back it's past glory anytime soon. Don't expect one day, all law firms will come there. Tons of M&A or PE work will come there.

Kolkata had the biggest law firms in the past. Over the time the city and state fell out of glory. Political Violence came. Maybe some outsourcing companies will open up a branch there as the city is cheap. Now it's merely an Industrial Waste yard still talking about it's past glory.

You have successfully elected horrible anti business political parties for the past 50 years. Even manufacturing won't come back to Bengal as other states like Andhra, Maharashtra and Gujarat will get the pie. Unless an investor or entrepreneur is a lunatic or feels that Political Violence is good for business, they won't invest.

But branches of outsourcing firms opening won't expand the legal market in any way. If you want a good corporate experience work a few years in Mumbai or Bangalore. There are many Tier 2 cities having IT Outsourcing, but it doesn't bring any good legal jobs.

Even if you want to work under great Bengali corporate Lawyers go to Bangalore or Mumbai rather than Kolkata.
Bhakt alert! Blame it on Nehru! The political violence is because of the BJP which orchestras such violence and does not allow the ruling party to work. Similar things have happened at madhya pradesh, karnataka and attempts in Maharashtra too. Without BJP all states will progress well
Gujarat gets the pie because the party in power centrally still believes that unless it is in power in a state, then it does not have any central responsibility towards that state.
So, much hate for one city. Wow. This was really helpful to the post owner. Slow claps for politicising even this post and then criticising political atmosphere of Bengal. I think you fail to see the irony.
As someone who's from South-India, but loved my time in Kolkata, so much so that I'd consider settling there, I feel that the opportunities in the M&A/GC space are limited. Can't think of anyone except KCo, Argus & F&M who do this work.

Would be thrilled if someone said I'm wrong, and pointed me towards actual opportunities.
The biggest M&A deal that took place in Kolkata in the last 5 years happened recently when my mom bought 3 kgs of fish for a get-together. She drafted and finalized everything on her own so I don't think you'd get a lot of M&A business in the city.
Of course. Since given your apparent lack of legal acumen, that's the extent that your interpretation skills run to. As for comment 1.1, probably their mother should have become the lawyer in the family instead. From all accounts, she would have done a far better job.
Since you can't seem to distinguish between fly and fish, maybe you should refrain from commenting. Or maybe you are referring to flying fish. Who knows?
There is a lot of GC work. May be little M&A as most companies are either too large or not good enough for acquisition. There are many companies having head offices in Kolkata- ITC, Saregama, CESC, Birla Corp, Philips, Coal India, Linde India, Tata Consumer Ltd, various subsidiaries of Tata Steel, government undertakings, banks, etc. People who are unable to penetrate the market here or are unable to get work will always complain. The big 4 CA firms and Khaitan & Co dominate the market. If there was not enough work the Big 4 would not have been thriving here. I am not comparing Kolkata with Mumbai. Those days are long gone. But answering the query and the foolish remarks that ill-informed people make.
KCO is now far ahead. FM has a good number of government companies and undertakings as its clients. But KCO enjoys the confidence of most of the large private players, esp., large corporate houses.