Read 35 comments as:
Filter By
I have an internship of cap markets but after college was mostly doing litigation. advice how can i jump to the cap mark team.
"Take the next unicorn public."

That one line has sold cap markets to me over gen corp which I've been doing currently as a 4th year student as a Paralegal
Most of the tier 1 firms (used loosely) have a practice, so there are opportunities. Even some tier 2 firms have robust cap marks practices, so rest assured you'll have jobs
Better advice is stay away from corporate law. So many enlightened people here will tell you how litigation is the real deal in law and everything else is clerical.
Agree about reading the icdr with DRHPs on SEBI's website, but putting two and two together may require a bit more understanding. Let's leave some work for the seniors in the team to impart as well.
Due diligence for cap marks is different. It is even more boring and mind numbing than what it is in other practice areas. Stay away from cap marks.
I am a fourth year law student. Can someone explain in some depth why there is a negative approach towards the Capital markets practice area?
if you don't like it change the area soon. the more the years pass the more tough it will be to change to anything else. only few firms do serious capital markets at a large level so limited opportunities.
Try switching to another practice very quickly. This is dead money-wise, thanks to all the undercutting in the market.
Your nom-de-guerre seems to suggest that you've survived just fine.

While it's not for everyone, it is possible to make a career and thrive in the capital markets space.
To add a few points:

1. Be familiar with basic Companies Act provisions for issue of shares.

2. Be familiar with the ICDR and LODR Regulations. Read the ICDR atleast once over, especially Schedule VI.

3. Catch up on sleep.
Delhi v Mumbai doesn't really matter, at all. It's all your personal preference. If you have a choice, look up your team members/partners before choosing.
Nobody will last long. Don't worry about long term. Take each day and each hour at a time.