Read 67 comments as:
Filter By
I would join some Senior Counsel Chamber after an year under some HC judge by hook or crook. Plus would do a lot of pro bono & PIL to get noticed. 10-15 years down the line, either I would get either some tribunal post or some litigation practice but better than law firm
Get married early. Because once you are old, fat and ugly (which will be within 2 years of joining law), no one will!
Are there any law firms which do good work, but at the same time, seem to strike a decent work/life balance? I mean there may be some people who aren't chasing big cash but content with making a decent living? Can't we find them and associate with them instead?
damn, you are right. but i was once in the plush and slush. i am not sir but madam. another women's day thought on assumptions!
@raw mangoes - Sir, you are either an equity partner, or not from the law firm industry at all. (No disrespect.)
Some people study management and go for investment banking. Some opt for entrepreneurial activities. I know a few who've gone ahead to specialize in other disciplines like economics, psychology etc. UPSC is another option.
Thank you. Appreciate the advice. I guess I gotta tough it out for at least a couple of years before I go somewhere better. Another question, answer if you can: what paths can someone who wants to quit law altogether take?
Kian, is there any way this thread can be turned into a sticky one? As we can see, some very good basic advice for freshers has been given here that people may benefit from even in future.
@AZ - I think what Guest is trying to say - 'its not a joke, I am serious'.
Actually, sometimes there will be no connection between what you get and what you deserve. The grind is brutal - try and keep a thick skin. The bonus, the assignments, the promotion are based on a lot of things - not just merit.
People keep saying to try something else, but what? As soon as we get into law schools we're taught that law firms are the only valuable career path. There is a genuine lack of awareness about the alternatives.
Oh God yes it sucks. Seriously, think of something else, anything else.
Practising medicine is physically more strenuous and has higher rate of burnouts than law.
Actually its not a watch. Its a smart wearable. However its not that smart, based on my heart rate it thinks I’m working out, when I’m actually having a panic attack or a heart attack due to stress. Silly device. Time for a working out? Lol.
Avoid joining Firms like [ex-infra/energy speciliast] which pay salary quarterly
Some top law firms will even ask you to dance for sangeet. Might as well learn a step or two before joining?
If you have a boss who values your work, your time and your effort - don't leave that team or firm.
I know this is silly
But could you please suggest some good websites/portals/handles/magazines etc for this purpose?
Get rid of that sense of entitlement. You are what you deserve to be. You will get what you deserve. Let your work win you accolades.
No, it wasn't. Quite similar to what I myself might have said though. Good advice, good thread. I would just add the need to have at least one hobby though, and devoting time to it regularly and consistently. It often does wonders for mental health.
Stop mindlessly being part of teams or practices that do 'deals' so that they get reported on websites. Realise that there are far more areas of law in law firms which are way more interesting and you probably have a much surer shot there at rising faster through your work.
You will make mistakes. That's okay. Just learn from your mistakes and move on.
This is a great question. Request everyone to please share their experience.
Hi, what do you think A0s should know before joining law firms? If you could restart your career, what would you focus on, what would ignore? Given that the incoming batch has a lot of free time, what should they be doing?