Read 43 comments as:
Filter By
Anybody who considers Ajay Bisht to be a good leader and CM should stop pretending that they care about the law.
Haha Your comment reeks of ignorance. Poor tribal state? Tribal, agreed (and proudly so! Why should Mughals have all the fun yo?) Poor (implying in sad state) - hell no!!! When most of India is β€œpoor” how dare you bring to shame a state or city by calling it β€œtribal” and β€œpoor”.

Raipur is the only city with an IIM, NIT, AIIMS, NLU and IIIT. This reflects in the city’s outlooks and people as well. Coming to the main issue about preference, suit yourself. Having known alumni from the past three years at both colleges, I know for a fact that most of the good ones are also still struggling. Campus placements are close to nothing and only the people who can really plough, get somewhere, anywhere. Faculty and course is a scam in both the places. However with that NLU tag and your own hard work at both places you stand the same chance of success and calm in life. But before you apply for any jobs get a good grasp about cities and states and improve your writing skills with caution. Had this been twitter you would be blocked from applying to many foreign Universities with such a tweet reeking of ignorance and bullying :)
RMLNLU is better as it has permanent faculty since its inception. Students are given comparatively more freedom to organise academic and co-curricular activities. RMLNLU Moot court committee does well. The RML students have a track record of being selected in judiciary. Being in the midst of city, it is a bit unsafe for girls.
Quote:
Being in the midst of city, it is a bit unsafe for girls.
Wow! Unsafe for being IN the city!! Imagine rural UP!
HNLU also has permanent faculty.

HNLU students are given more free hand in organizing events. Colossus, the fest of HNLU, is one of the best law school fests in India.It has attracted various famous artists like The Local Train, Ankur Tiwari, Lost Stories etc. Which big star has RMLNLU invited for its fest?

RMLNLU and HNLU are similar in moot court achievements. HNLU gets a grant of 1 crore per year from the State Government for providing reimbursement for participating in moot court competitions. However, in moot court achievements, I have huge respect for NLUO.

Seeing as an percentage, students of HNLU have a much better track record in selection in the judiciary. 30 Students from RMLNLU got selected in UP Judiciary when the number of vacancies was close to 700. While 30 students from HNLU got selected in Chhattisgarh Judiciary when the number of vacancies was just 39. This clearly proves that HNLU has an edge in judiciary selections.

The law and order situation in UP is indeed a problem and also needs to be considered.
RMLNLU over HNLU any day. HNLU is not even a top 10 NLU now. Sad story of misgovernance by Dukhpal, neglect by state govt and dilution of quality through domicile quota. Only nationalisation can save HNLU.
Both HNLU and RMLNLU have a 50% domicile quota. I don't see any difference there.

HNLU is still in top 10 after GNLU and NLIU.

The administration under the able guidance of our new VC is doing great. Corporate placements are also at a high for the 2021 batch.

There is no neglect by the State Govt.. Meanwhile, a lot of positive changes have occurred with the advent of the Congress Govt. (Saying it as a BJP Supporter)
NLU Lucknow will suffer once NLU Prayagraj comes up. NLU Prayagraj will get all the funds.
Yes... Moreover, Prayaraj has the Chief Justice of the State's High Court as its Chancellor, like many other NLUs across the country.
The RMLNLU has no Chancellor at all. The Registrar is a serving IAS officer. It has the lowest fee structure among all the NLUs in India.
I think fees of HNLU is not much more than RMLNLU. They are the cheapest NLUs in India.
I believe RMLNLU is ahead both in NIRF ranking and CLAT student preference over HNLU.
HNLU is better in student preference. And now can RMLNLU be ahead of HNLU if HNLU is not in the NIRF rankings. For a more accurate picture, see the next year's NIRF ranking where HNLU would be present.
Of course, the RMLNLU is certainly ahead of HNLU so far as the CLAT preference is concerned. It is because of its faculty which is quite energetic and innovative to run the college "on its own terms".
It's interesting how both sides are making different claims about student preferences without any supporting stats whatsoever. Reveals the sorry state of law students and lawyers these days.
Placement wise RMLNLU is now much ahead of HNLU. The decline of HNLU happened under Sukh Pal Singh and it is yet to recover. The students waited too late to throw him out.
Please provide stats from your side. I'm ready to provide the stats for HNLU once you give them from your end.
Well you seem very eager.
Why don't you just go ahead and say your piece.
Dear OP,

I am listing out the reasons why I picked HNLU over RMLNLU when I was in your position. TL;DR: in terms of career prospects/ education quality/ resources, these two colleges are pretty much the same. People belonging to an institute will be biased towards their alma mater so take my comment (and those of others on this thread) with a pinch of salt.

I’ve had the opportunity to visit RML for a moot court competition in my second year and I found that (my opinion) the library resources in HNLU are more comprehensive. Hostel accommodation was more comfortable in HNLU despite being a smaller room. In terms of campus development RML has a more aesthetically pleasing campus no doubt (seems like they borrowed mayawati’s sense re decor).

In terms of faculty I’ll be honest, HNLU doesn’t have the best of the lot but from what I’ve heard from peers in RML it’s not any better there. I do believe that VCV has brought in a new standard to the place and the environment for learning is a hundred times better now than it was when I first joined the place.

I got RML in the first list but chose to upgrade to HNLU considering that UP is not a state I’d want to spend five years of my life in and HNLU was geographically closer to home. I have no regrets with my decision as I’ve had a fruitful college experience with moots both national and international (and fully funded) under my belt and I’ve gotten a decent job through college placements. I believe I would have gotten similar opportunities had I gone to RML too.

What I want to say is that the trajectory of your life won’t change much whether you go to RML or HNLU. Pick your college based on the factors important to you and once you do, don’t look back.

Good luck to you!
RMLNLU placements are much better than HNLU. NIRF establishes it officially, but you can ask an unofficial authority like LI/Bar & Bench/Lawtcopus to compare and rank. Mr Kian Ganz, Ms Pallavi Saluja and Mr Tanuj Kalia are all cordially invited to visit RMLNLU to see for themselves and ask the admin any questions they want. It is an open invitation. Can HNLU do so? It's an open challenge.

RMLNLU also outperformed HNLU is LI's MPL ranking https://www.legallyindia.com/mooting/mpl-8-nliu-bhopal-gets-to-finals-in-stetson-world-sls-pune-wins-best-orator-rgnul-wins-oxford-media-quals-sastra-kk-luthra-20180404-9246
Use of NIRF data to establish superiority in placement is always going to be suspect, since NIRF doesn't verify any data. If the university releases its placement figures, then it is easy enough to compare with that of another university, not otherwise. I haven't actually seen RMLNLU placement figures in the public domain for a long time. Nor HNLU's either, for that matter.
This is not only the placements which count in holding any NLU better or worse. RMLNLU is above the HNLU in CLAT preferences because of its many advantages such as dedicated faculty, good infrastructure, nice internal moot court/debate competitions, holding of extension/special lectures by experts, considerate and sympathetic administration, nice food in hostels, guest house facilities for parents of students, sprawling lawn, playgrounds, well-equpped gymnasium, helipad, sampark plaza (shopping centre) etc. A large number of PhD scholars can be seen working in the state-of-the-art library. The online/electronic library resources are far far better than those in HNLU. The ambience at RMLNLU is superb as compared to that of HNLU. HNLU is also good.
My analysis of the situation (I don't belong to either of the institutes). Based on talking with both current students and alumni.

Placements of HNLU are better

Mooting scene is same

Debating scene is better at RMLNLU

Online resources and library is better at HNLU

Shopping centre is better in HNLU. I have personally visited it. It has an Amul Parlour, CCD etc.

Campus is better at RMLNLU.

Faculty is of same level.

Campus Events are better at HNLU

All other things are almost at the same level.

My opinion would be to go for RMLNLU is you are from UP/Bihar/Rajasthan and HNLU if you are from MP/West Bengal/North Eastern States/and states like Telangana and Maharashtra.

If you are from any other state, choose any of them, it won't matter much.
Choose whichever University, it takes the same degree of efforts for a kid to get a decent law firm job straight out of these Universities.

Sure, HNLU kids secure jobs at tier 1, but that does not mean RML kids don't (it isn't a cakewalk for either of them).

RML gives you the freedom to do whatever you want to do, whether it is judiciary, entrepreneurship, litigation, law firm, MBA, sarkari naukri, or something out of the box (like becoming one of the nation's most sought after comedian :D).

Whether you are from RML or HNLU, none of these Universities can spoon feed you a successful career. You will have to work for it, but it is possible.
I wanted to know how RGNUL and NLUO fare against these two. Also what is the status of MNLU Mumbai. I heard that there are no campus placements for 2020 batch. Is it true?
NLU Mumbai isn't important enough yet to be talked about. Give it another 5-7 years at least. Location alone isn't everything.
Is it a good idea to take MNLU at 500-600 rank in CLAT? If it's not important to talk about, why is everyone including the coaching institutes mad after it. Not against you but a general query
It is just a fad. People are focusing way too much on the Mumbai location instead of looking into real factors like alumni base, infra, faculty, proven track record etc. If location is all one has to think about, then one might as well join GLC Mumbai at a fraction of the cost. NLU Mumbai might become a good place to opt for over other NLUs eventually, but certainly hasn't reached there yet. As for coaching centres, they have got no clue about the legal world. They just make up things to misguide students.
HNLU when established was perhaps one of the best Law Universities in India, boasting of a very rich legacy, students passed out are now partners and senior associates of Tier 1 Law Firm . But, slowly, due to corrupt and malicious handling of administration, the college hit a major low and since then had been in a state of vegetatio. A major development happened when our batch(2019-2024) joined the college, with the appointment of Dr. V. C. Vivevakanandan as our Vice Chancellor in September. The College has seen tremendous and palpable change since then, our seniors in the fourth year are now getting PPOs in Tier One Law firms like AZB and Khaitan which we didn't hear of for a very long time. The students have now been given the facility of remote access for facilitating Research for mooting purposes. Hidayatullah National Law University basically allows you to become what you want to be, if you want to be a drug addict, no one will stop you from that, you well may spend your whole day in your room doing nothing , and at the same time you have an advantage of having a very rich Library consisting of various books journals, and newspapers at your disposal. You can make use of them and crack any moot on the paper or write a bloody good research paper and get it published. The infrastructure is improving, as all major parts are being painted afresh to bring a sense of positivity in the college. The new VC is very committed in improving the outside image of our college and doing all the things possible in achieving that.
I will strongly recommend RGNUL. I am an alumni, and I can assure you that RGNUL is a different league. Life in Patiala is going to be much better than Lucknow and Raipur.

Alumni are well placed.

Teachers are encouraging.

Peer group will be much better which will in turn motivate you to be better. See LI and SCC to follow the activities and how students have been doing. Who is winning more, who are being promoted in law firms, who are going abroad for LLM and coming back to teach, who are placed where a few years after college etc

Infrastructure is better than both two.

Only problem is in relation to to intoxicants, which I have got to know is there everywhere.

Do talk to at least 2 people from each batch which graduated in the last 5 years. Reach out to people independently on LinkedIn. You'd also figure out how accessible and amicable your alumni is going to be.:-)
And it is branding of the NLU and its VC... and, therefore,... again... ha... ha...ha
Anyone who chooses RMLNLU over HNLU needs to get his head examined.