Read 25 comments as:
Filter By
https://twitter.com/RekhaSh84581912

This is very serious. Her daughter was a passenger in a car which sadly crashed. She is alleging that the driver was under the influence of alcohol. She is saying that Jindal is turning a blind eye to drugs and alcohol, which endangers the lives of children. She is saying that the college has a responsibility to discipline its students, who are at a young and vulnerable age. Some of the things she has posted:

- Today: Hidden cam footage where parents whose children died are asking college authorities why then don't watch over their children

- A picture of a nightclub just 1 km from Jindal, where she alleges student go to drink the whole night and come back in the morning

- A video of a boy student kicking a girl student on campus (although it is not clear if the attacker was under the influence of alcohol).

I fully agree with her. It is fashionable to break rules and drink, but the fact is that children need discipline and our parents are right to ask colleges to keep an eye over their children. There is a drugs and drinks culture across all NLUs, but because of the Punjab-Haryana drug trade colleges like JGLS, RGNUL and NLU Sonipat are just in a mess. Just the other day the video of the NLU Sonipat boy, asking a cop a question when viral. Recently, the founder of Ashok said that drugs are being delivered by drones to Ashoka. Elsewhere, we saw the case of Jadavpur University where seniors got drunk and ragged juniors and a junior boy committed suicide.

People here will not like me saying this, but liberalism on campuses has gone too far and needs to be curbed through discipline. We need to have a zero-tolerance policy towards alcohol and drugs. It's not "fascist" to do so. You don't have a right to drink and do drugs on campus.
Yes. Well the fact that JGU doesnt really care about students is obvious. It has been obvious since they didnt do anything to help rape victims, suppressed stories of harassment, allowed campus to become an open air drug market, and has a "good samaritan squad" to go and help students who break the law.

Students - who are adolescent and whose brains havent fully developed- think most of this "pro student" action. Theyre happy as long as they dont have to study, they can spend their time smoking up or hooking up and they get to bully their professors, and obtain a degree that they really havent earned. its all short term pleasure over long term well being for them.

The parents are sold a bucket of lies by the administration- first at admission because they focus on saying the faculty is great without addressing actual graduate outcomes, or even talking about faculty attrition at all.

And then throughout the years the students spend on campus. I have not once seen grade inflation so bad as it is at JGU. Most of these students wouldnt be passing on their own, but theyre made to pass by all sorts of ways- not including the ridiculous testing rules where one can obtain a full score in the final by only studying 50% of the syllabus- so it looks like the kids are learning something so the fees keep coming in. Student complaints about faculty being too strict are jumped upon by mediocre administrators wanting to please their customers- but there is zero action taken by the admin against professors who are known to give out grades for good teaching evals, who are known to not teach, hand over the teaching work to their TA's, not really evaluate assignments or even have very few assignments at all. No to having standards at all- just do the easy thing and let the kids have an easy grade. If youre a recruiter or a parent- you should not be believing the JGLS transcript- theyre lying to you.

But the university also lies to parents about the kind of experience their children will have. They tell them its a university filled with scholars and how their child can get an opportunity to pursue further study at foreign universities through their collaborations and how they can do international moots and internships and things like that. They dont tell parents about the endemic drug/ alcohol addiction problem on campus. There is no deaddiction centre even. I would not be surprised if they have never once in their history done a health survey to find out where their students even are with this stuff. they do nothing to stop rapes and sexual assault on campus, involving students, faculty and administration. The problem is endemic but faculty are not even mandatory reporters who are obligated to report abuse when they see it. In fact faculty are encouraged to rush any student who comes to them with this sort of problem to the COGSASH folks without getting involved or advocating for that student.

This is what happens when a lack of integrity doesnt bother you. If you start by saying- academic integrity doesnt matter to you, soon enough integrity in social life will also start not mattering. If corruption comes from the top down - at some point it is going to trickle down to the point that it will affect some students badly.

Parents sending their teens to JGU should know that theyre not done parenting once the kid is in college- its still your kid, and no one in sonipat is going to look out for them unless you do. no one at university wants to do the hard thing and enforce discipline or ensure safety or enable learning. 800 students a year, they dont have anyone to parent your kid. Even professors only interact with students fleetingly. You have to still stay on top of it.

I would suggest depriving your children of all that money to buy drugs and alcohol to start with. A strict budget that covers only what is necessary is the easiest way to make sure the kid stays on track.
I totally disagree. Measures like parental permission, gate passes, CCTV, bag searches, breathalyser tests, bans on substances etc are authoritarian tools of moral policing. Although it is unfortunate that some people have got into accidents because of drunk driving, that cannot be a reason for a blanket ban on alcohol and drugs. If you look at is statistically, the car accident rate of Jindal students is much lower than the national average and the overwhelming majority of students drive safely. Let us also remember that alcohol itself is perfectly legal in India (except in Modi's Gujarat). Weed is also legal in many Western countries and has medicinal benefits. What if a student needs it for medicinal reasons? Also, the incident of the boy kicking the girl is an issue of patriarchal and regressive values, rather than alcohol. We must contextualise it with respect to the toxic masculine culture of Haryana and the rise of right-wing ideology in India.

So, I feel the answer is simple: give maximum freedom to students and expect them exercise it responsibly. Sensitise students to use taxis instead of driving their car if they are going out drinking.
Youre a teen arent you? maximum freedom is not a thing for any adult in any country. Many students on the JGU campus are not of the legal drinking age. Weed is illegal- if you want it for "medicine" go to one of the western countries where it is legal and get a prescription. If law students cannot have basic respect for the law- what are we doing? How many students should die do you think? for all this unbridled freedom? whats a fair number for you?

I know young people throughout history have thought they were counter culture revolutionaries sticking it to the man by drinking themselves into a stupor and losing braincells to weed- but let me spare you the illusion. Youre not counter culture revolutionaries. Revolutionaries stand for something other than hedonistic consumerism. This isnt moral policing as much as actually recognising alcoholism and substance abuse for the health care crises that they are. You dont get another body in this life time. One is all you get- and substance abuse harms that body and that mind. Its just a fact.

And if you do want "maximum freedom", perhaps you should spend your own damn money on all of this instead of lying to your parents and your school. Cause those are the people who suffer when you turn up dead.
Wow! This junkie wants access to drugs. Just wow. The reason why parents should not send their children to Jiggles.
Those are tools yes. As a parent, I will be glad if such tools are being used in a place where I'm sending my ward to stay safe for five years. Your freedom if a source of danger to other's well being is not something to be protected. The campus isn't a place to drink or get high. If you go out and do that, come back inside after you're sober.
Liberal students calling all this authoritarian lmao

I hope his parents just get to know what he does in law schools and all

All of them hide that they drink and all. Just wasting parents money

I am sorry but I think they girl that died also used to do all this without telling her parents. Anyways OM shanti
You want an inebriated girl or woman to utilise taxi services of a man belonging to a state with toxic masculine culture with right wing ideology on rise? Excellent reasoning skills!
same is case in almost all nlus specially tier 1 nlus

I hear that students in NALSAR go to party in Pubs and bars
Let me offer an opinion based on my experience working in university administration. Firstly, it's important to acknowledge that every loss of life is a tragedy, and we must extend empathy to the families and friends of the deceased while also seeking accountability if wrongdoing is proven.However, I don't believe the institution bears culpability in this case. It's unrealistic to expect universities to monitor students outside of campus.

Additionally, implementing strict measures like curfews and bag searches is often met with resistance from students, as I recall from a large private university where I worked, where such measures led to violent student protests.Instead of placing blame on the institution, parents should reflect on why their children engage in activities they disapprove of.
It is unrealistic to expect universities to parent your kids. But it is also not unrealistic to expect that the university won’t lie to you on the rigor of education that’s being expected from your kids, the state of drugs and alcohol on campus or whether or not you’re able to take responsibility for their kids.

If I’m being told there are world class faculty and there are rigorous examinations. I’m bound to think my kid is studying all the time- that’s what they tell me. If I’m told it’s a drug free booze free campus - that’s what I will believe. I won’t be there on campus everyday to make sure.

If the university is upfront with parents about - look we don’t really expect that our students will be working all these hours - most of them will have a lot of free time. And beyond occasionally busting some kid with pot - there’s really nothing the university can do or is able to do about drugs and alcohol on campus- and here are statistics on rates of addiction among our students. Here is the how many instances of violence were reported on campus last year , how many of our students were involved with drunk driving etc last year, how many died year on year and here is what the drop out rate is- If you provide parents with that information - If you make clear to them that you are not in fact able to take responsibility of their kids. Then it’s all fair right ? They can make an informed decision about whether or not to admit.

You can’t at once claim parents should know better while keeping information from them because it improves your bottom line.
Uni Add here, I in fact agree with you. I completely agree that universities must report instances of on-campus violence to all prospective students and parents. That would be a very good way to ensure that students and parents know what they are getting into.
Is Jindal worse than Ashoka? Or are they all the same? NLU Sonipat won't be in the same league because the profile of the students is not as affluent.
They were literally drinking off campus. I don't think even JGLS is that liberal.
Plenty of drinking happens within the campus. TBF to the admin, it's not possible to monitor such a big ass campus very easily.
A 29-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 6-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 131-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.
A 24-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.