Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
Been 8 months in Capital Markets at a leading firm based out of Mumbai. Started off very well but feel suicidal and exhausted. The diligence is mundane, docketing backups is overburdening and every deadline is urgent. Haven't spoken to my parents in a week, haven't eaten properly and haven't been able to sleep. Need some words of wisdom from all.

And to all the law students reading this - NEVER EVER TOUCH THIS FUCKING NONSENSE OF A PRACTICE.

Note: This comes from someone who stuck to this practice through the law school days and knows his shit when it comes to the work involved.
Switch as soon as you complete a year if it makes you feel this way. There is no point in continuing cap marks if it isn't bearable anymore.
Hey, please quit. Job is not everything. There needs to be some sanity left in you to do anything. The team will not change the timelines will not change. Only you will change.
Hey i can relate to what you are going through. Seriously, if any law student is reading is please plesse consider before pursuing this. Go for financial regulatory or securities litigation if you really like investment law. Once you're in you become a typecast and life is like hell
People move to fin reg and IB even after spending time as counsel in CM. Don't sit here and merely demotivate. To enter as a CM A0 Is easy than others, nobody stops you with a lil effort of own to make a shift quickly into other practices at A2/3 levels
comment made by a kid who has never ran a deal before and doesn't know how difficult preparing backups really is.
Talk to a mental health person, neednt be a psychiatrist, they will always prescribe medicine, try to find a decent psychologist.
Well, my father is a long time client of the T1 firm in Mumbai, therefore I get the benefit of less working hours and getting weekends off- A1, He also gets separate work done through my partner, independent of the firm
Hey, I am in the almost same position as a long term intern with the "leading" law firm. Could we connect somehow?
No. Could we not make everything an Intel gathering exercise? At best, it's a troll post. At worst, a serious one. A little empathy, please.
Hi,

Sad to hear this. I wish I could say I can relate, but I don’t think I can.

Suggestions:

1. Try to find avenues where you can blow off steam.

If you own a bike/ car, take a long drive. Or go for a run. If you need to feel at peace, go for a yoga type retreat. Talk to a therapist if you have to.

2. Change the environment you’re in

Since you’re in a firm, it is filled with lawyers, and because of your schedule I’m guessing you have not been able to make many friends in the city who don’t do law. Talking to such people only reinforces the hustle culture you’re in.

Find groups online which do weekend trips or some outings. Travel with them. It will take you more than a 2-3 days to come out of that stressful mental zone. Talking to people outside law will help you regain mental sanity.

All the best!
Also started my career in that practice (of course I left as soon as I could reasonably afford to). One pattern I find particularly sad is how CM seems to beat every ounce of creativity and light out of otherwise very bright minds with its requirement of endless mindless labour.

Please think about setting up a more enjoyable career and indeed life in a different practice. As a bright A0 you are eminently employable (regardless of what fears you, like any of us at that age, might have).
I am a recent law graduate thinking of going for SEBI legal- quitting after a few years- joining a tier 1/2 firm and making my career in Securities law.

You sort of bummed this plan OP.
Very much in a similar boat, but it helps that my team is supportive and encourages me to get a life. It's just a job at the end of the day. If you have a terrible team I suggest you switch, because you should be able to tell them you have boundaries. The best time to switch is before you complete 1y PQE. Also, it may not always be like this - cap marks is very much cyclical and depends a lot on market sentiments. It's election year too. I hope we can weather this storm lol. Also it sucks to be BRLM counsel.
A 48-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.
A 29-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.