Read 25 comments as:
Filter By
So I know the 2025 batch would be feeling the heat after a worst ever nightmare placement season for 2024 batch in T-1 NLUs. Forget T-2 NLUs where the scene couldn't have been more worse. So keep the following things in mind base Don my placement experience at a T-1 NLU in Guj.

1) There is increasingly no place for merit in shortlisting. Using connections would only ensure that you get shortlisted. Till now connections were used in getting internships but now it has drastically changed to getting shortlisting and even getting a PPO interview.Beleive ke even a rank in Top-15 is not safe as the fears of recession are likely to get worse next yr.

2) Remember Rule 1.

3) Remember both Rule 1 and Rule 2.
i know people from my batch (higher ranked T1 NLU) that had like 3-4 backs at the time of placement season and still got a T1 job offer. Cut to literally a year later where top rankers cant even get a shortlist. It's so awful to see this, I cant even imagine what happens at lower T2 or T3 NLUs
I don't understand why you people cannot digest the fact that there is merit that can be assessed apart from batch ranks. Students had internship experience towards one practice area, and that was preferred over only a top 10. Students had exemplary publications, which was factored in.

I understand connections do help, but the placement procedures are solely done by the HR, and even partner references are not factored in. Such people are given PPOs without internships.
Genuine advice - top rankers should consider higher studies. Placements should be lower in priority. That would show some maturity among law students. The current obsessive fixation on placements is not good for the discipline (and practice) of law. One law school is deemed better than another law school merely on placements - how shallow and superficial.
Why will top rankers consider higher studies by default? Law is a professional course, good students may actually prefer joining the profession over going to academics. Unless you wish to join the academia, there is no reason to get a post grad degree in law.
Lol, we're in a hyper-inflated economy with no jobs and he wants people to not fixate on placements.
LOL.....this is exactly the reason that 15 years down the line someone like you will be whining about not having good faculty in some law school. Where will the next generation of good law faculty come from? Another planet.....? Everyone wants good faculty, but no one (especially the top rankers) wants to go for further studies. Higher degree (LLM and Ph.D) students are ridiculed in law schools by the UG students.
Given the salary that average public university professors get in India currently, there are two sets of people who come to legal academia, those who lack other options because of ability or other extraneous factors like health or proximity to family, and those who return out of a sense of idealism and treat it as a vocation rather than a mere profession and/or really want to do research. The second category is still very much a minority. There is no proper law teacher training programme that exists in India and the one year LLM here is a joke. So if you want the best brains to come to academia, you have to offer them competitive salary, working conditions and training facilities, or drastically lower the cost of quality legal education. Until you do that, you will remain stuck with the people mentioned above. No use exhorting people to accept relatively worse career prospect after spending huge sums of money and time on their education.
How is hoping to make a decent living after studying, interning, and publishing for five years shallow and superficial?
I honestly don't see the recession getting any better. With election season looming over us, we'll be seeing higher taxes and higher freebies with lower growth. Prepare for the worst, next 10 months will see hyper-inflation with immense slowdown and Aritificial Intelligence will be joining the party too. The job market is only going to get worse. Just hope there aren't any riots to make things worse; before election season there's no guarantee.
dude business doesnt give a f about elections, its India, wahii 2-3 log power pe honge, its not some dramatic change or anything, MNCs who make law firm revenue actually indirectly control administration.

bhai election time tax kya badhenge what sense

bro these freebies are not given to the commons. AI is barely here sir, even law firm partners are manually finding punctuation errors in docs, tech has not changed anything, just ask which tech associates use.
Lagta hai college mae rehke general studies and awarness bhul gye. The economics in thsi country sepcically macro is not independent it is dependent upon various factors like foreign investement ( FDI), world recessionary trends, doemestic inflation, our counrty GDP's growth rate etc. If we see current economic growth rate our country is the only country which postive gdp growth rate all major economic like USA, UK, france, germany are in recession had very or no growth rate due to the f russioan ukriane war due that fact all major economie shad recession and this eventually turned foreign investor to do less funding resulting into less m&a, ipos etcof our couuntry companies due that fact less hiring in law firm. Thoda college bhaar nikal dekho
We aren't addressing the elephant(s) in the room:

- Jobless growth in the legal economy

- Cabal of Indian law firms blocking foreign law firms, whose entry may have created jobs

- Nepo kids at a certain law schools are taking away a lot of the jobs.

- Because of the poor quality of faculty in most NLUs, students are not taught practical skills and are unemployable. On top of that reservation had resulted in a dilution in the quality of students.
Padosi wali aunty was right all along: better to study engineering or MBA. The second option is still possible. Study for CAT/GMAT.
Have you perhaps considered the prospect that firms may have revised their criteria to just not include kids with good memory (aka batch rank toppers)?
but firm havent changed one criteria is judaad through which whole mediocre firm and industry runs.
Geniune advise... If you don't want to litigate in court or become a Judge, leave ASAP and pursue an MBA, preferably abroad. I said this a decade ago, law firms and corporate culture is not for advocates. It's a bubble that will burst one day, and it's happening now. In the hierarchy of corporate culture, lawyers are expensive expendables, they come and go, for companies. Paid less, work more and will always be below the CAs and MBAs of a corporate structure. Watching Suits, Boston Legal and rise of NLUs has given a wrong perception to the naive average middle class Indian kids, that law firms are the best. They're not. In our culture being a politician, bureaucrat, judges, top businessman etc will remain the immovable powerhouses. Especially with the fact that the family backed advocacy nepotism will always prevail.
firm master dont want to loose their hegomony of exploiting associate and junior thats why they are restricting foreign law firm entry