Read 31 comments as:
Filter By
18 +

Whether you are closeted, open or experimenting. How's gay dating/hookup scenario in your campus and city - ? Is grindr/other gay apps useful, safe?

It sucks here in Lucknow - most are on the apps for a casual game. Hard to get a decent person.

Dating is almost impossible as most on the apps are interested for a quick hookup.

Kian, Please don't censor this!
If you can allow of raunchy straight dating and hookup threads - you can allow this too.
If you're trying to find a decent person on the internet you're looking in the wrong place.
What's with all the downvotes? We've had worse discussions.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. A major part of college is supposed to be the dalliances people have. And a college dalliance, while in no way the peak, is really special in its own way (I mean, from what I could tell on the outside I didn't have one). Living on the same campus, the constant accessibility, it's exciting in its own way. Especially for young kids just out of school. It's a part of the essential college experience for straight people. so they don't give it a second thought I guess.

OP, the situation is kind of underwhelming. I would really, REALLY strongly advise to stay away from Grindr in general. Just a good tip for life. Especially in India. Especially in anything other than a tony area in a T1 city.

Tinder/Bumble should be okay I guess, but don't be too hopeful. From my experience, what I can tell you is that law schools attract a generally okay crowd with a relatively woke bent, so you won't have too much trouble if you do get into a relationship or something. But you will have to be extra careful. (The boys' hostel can be a special tenth circle of hell, but, hopefully, most of them will be just harmless/indifferent).

To answer your main question: gay culture and openly gay folks are unfortunately mostly restricted to T1 cities. I get it, when you're shooting in the dark. But, well, it is what it is.

Also, if you're on a dating app of any kind, please be careful, always talk to the person well before meeting. Meet in a place that is not secluded. And inform someone you trust. There has been a sharp rise in cases where gay men get extorted on these apps.

Take care!
Unrelated question: did you go to a private school from the ICSE board?
To answer your main question: gay culture and openly gay folks are unfortunately mostly restricted to T1 cities. I get it, when you're gay, dating is like shooting in the dark. Courtship is one thing, but how do you even find someone to court? But, well, it is what it is.

This is what the second last para was supposed to be, idk how I deleted half a line lol
Are you surprised? All they want to talk about is against woke culture and how as straight men they are the victim of everything.
focus on studies, most dates in law school anyway turn toxic overtime, only ur grades will help u survive after these 5 yrs
A 1-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
NLU[...] have quite a few scenes. A couple of weeks back, a couple was caught in the washroom.
OP: I am 40, so graduated from a law school a generation ago. Things have changed a lot since then (or at least I hope so). A major challenge with gay dating, anything serious, is the small numbers. We are fewer in numbers, so that is a problem in itself. Someone mentioned about boys' hostels. That adds another layer of complication. It can truly be hell. But again that's from my time; I am hoping things are slightly better now. But all that said, certainly explore dating, whether on tinder, bumble or anything else. There may be classmates too and their profiles too might show up on those apps. One downside of law schools in India (or even universities in general) is that there aren't any social LGBT forums/groups. Anyway, certainly explore dating. My biggest regret from my time as a student was that I never bothered with these things only to realize later on that campuses are the best place to find people you might reasonably get along with you. Of course, law schools in India are small communities but it's still worth trying. Good luck
Very interesting to hear the perspective of a senior queer lawyer. I agree, campus flings can end disastrously, but they have a charm and advantages of their own!
I think Jindal University is amazing in such an aspect. Even if the admin does not openly support the community, it does not come down to them. We have had our fair share of LGBTQ events, a parade, and a specific event, and 2 social groups (1 formally associated with Jindal and another working without Jindal's support) associated with LGBTQ.

Apart from that, Jindal can come off both as homophobic and supporting the community. I am bi myself, and I have been out to a few very close friends, and they seem to support me. While others (more particularly in the male friend group) would not support you that much.
A 2-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
In my experience, you either choose to be open from the get go or keep your dalliances with people outside university.
Most law firms and seniors are conservative and I have noticed real discrimination when it came to recruitments as a result of idle gossip.
True. During my college days many of my batchmates have had been friends with me for the fact that i was openly gay. So you can imagine what happened at the dorm room
seeing posts like this reminds me of the most infamous quote from hit series jujutsu kaisen

"are you sexually repressed because you're queer or are you queer because you're sexually repressed"
A 15-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 3-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 3-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.