We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
The compensation is poor compared to the amount of work people put in here. The firm itself advertises X as the industry standard in the market but actually pays Y, which is significantly lower. On top of that, reimbursements don't come on time, and even salaries get delayed. I am trying to switch, but I haven't been able to do so.
While the seniors are supportive from a work perspective, some of them are just way too enthusiastic about work, to the point where they taunt you almost every single day over unnecessary things. For example, if you stay in the office longer than they do, they take pride in it, almost as if to say, "Look at me, you are trying to be like me." I don't even know how to explain this, but these things happen regularly.
I don't know if all this is normal in the legal profession. Maybe some of it is, but there are so many small things that, if I tried to write them all down, this post would become way too long.
I AM ALSO TRYING TO SWITCH, BUT THERE HAS BEEN NO LUCK. I don't know what to do anymore. It seems like no better-tier firm is hiring right now, or at least I haven't been able to find an opportunity. I have been trying.
I feel depressed about my situation. And it is not about me believing that I am not built for this profession or this environment. I don't know what happened over the past year. I eventually landed this job, perhaps because the market wasn't in my favour, or perhaps because I lacked something. I genuinely don't know. But this firm is just way too frustrating to work at.
Most of them try to become bua every day and do the most unnecessary things. For example, there are limited subscriptions and user slots for certain tools, and instead of sharing access, they change the passwords for themselves and say they won't share them. I know these things might sound stupid or insignificant, but they add to the frustration when they happen regularly.
These little things, which might seem insignificant individually, are affecting everything.
I don't go to this place with even the slightest smile anymore. I know not everyone goes to the office smiling, but I have reached a point where I don't even feel like interacting with my team. The thing is, they seem to feel the same way about how things are here, whether it is compensation, exposure, or the way the administration handles things.
At least one thing should be stable when you are not paying people well: the salary should come on time. I am willing to work hard and put my ass on the line for work. I don't mind working long hours or putting in the effort. But the basic administrative issues, delayed payments, and all these stupid little things are killing my will to work.
I don't have any savings. I thought I would start saving early in my career, but the money isn't even enough to put anything aside. I feel stuck.
What makes it worse is that I have seen the trend at this firm. People seem to remain stuck here for at least three years before they manage to switch. Some have taken five years. I don't know whether it is because other firms don't rate this firm highly or because of some other reason, but the trend is worrying. Moving to a bigger firm seems to take a lot of time.
I am trying to find a way out, but I don't know how long this is going to take, and I don't know how long I can keep going like this.
I am not directly asking for a job. I genuinely want advice.
For those who have been in a similar situation early in their careers, what did you do? Do things eventually get better? Should I just keep working here while continuing to look for opportunities, even if it takes another year or two? How do you deal with a situation where you want to leave, are actively trying to leave, but just cannot seem to find a way out?
I am willing to work hard and learn. I just don't want these things to kill my motivation so early in my career.
Please help. Any genuine advice would be really appreciated.