We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
Before my LL.M., I worked at a small Delhi-based practice that operated largely as a chamber. My experience was predominantly in IP litigation, including trademark and design disputes, alongside matters handled through my seniorโs government panel engagements. I also worked on general corporate advisory assignments, although these formed a smaller part of my practice.
A key objective of pursuing the LL.M. was to support my transition into corporate law. Since returning, however, I have found it difficult to secure interviews despite direct applications, cold emails and engagement with legal recruiters.
Several recruiters have reviewed my CV, which highlights the corporate advisory work I handled, and provided positive feedback. However, this has not translated into interviews or concrete opportunities, and communication has often tapered off without substantive feedback.
I secured one interview through a referral, but the firm was seeking someone with greater seniority. I also recognise that my preparation for that interview could have been stronger.
As a non-NLU graduate with predominantly litigation experience, I appreciate that entry into a tier-one corporate practice may be challenging. I am keen to explore smaller and mid-sized firms that offer substantive general corporate and transactional work, structured learning and opportunities for professional growth.
My professional network is currently limited, and I am making a conscious effort to improve this. I would value guidance from practitioners who have made a similar transition, as well as those involved in recruitment, particularly on:
- 1. Positioning a combination of IP litigation and corporate advisory experience for junior corporate roles.
- 2. Identifying firms that are receptive to candidates transitioning between practice areas.
- 3. Addressing practical skill gaps and demonstrating readiness for corporate advisory and transactional work.
- 4. Building professional connections and approaching teams beyond conventional applications.
I understand that an LL.M. does not substitute for practical transactional experience. I am willing to invest in developing the necessary skills and would appreciate candid advice on how to make this transition effectively.