We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
But I still have hope that it gets better, even tho this incident seriously dented my career. Its hard, to go through shit like this, but please please hang in there - by that I donβt mean to say that you should keep working with the same person, but continue to work as a lawyer. Donβt let this come in the way of a glorious future that awaits you.
don't work in toxic places, its the worst thing you can do to yourself.
I had a terrible experience practicing at the Supreme Court. I had an extremely toxic colleague who harassed me (there were instances that make me wonder if it was leading up to sexual harrassment in the future) and I got no support from my senior. The coworker was incredibly sexist, racist, and homophobic. The culture was fostered and not discouraged by anyone including my senior. I was told not to leave because that would mean my bully of a colleague wins but sometimes you've got to let them win and save yourself from more harm.
But I am not making this post to just vent. I get that litigation has tight deadlines at almost every level of practice but the culture of "working hard" seems to be just showing your boss that you're working hard by staying late in the office and bragging about getting no sleep. Seniors are miserly and don't want to pay you enough but expect you to put in 20 hours a day. And if you were to, god forbid, sleep 7-8 hours; you're the worst person to inhabit this planet!
I also understand that SC practice is difficult and complex enough to burn the midnight oil at times. Why have we not tried working in shifts? Some people can remain in court while others research and draft and do the back-end work. The shifts can be rotated. Heck, even doctors get the next day off when they do night shifts but here are SC lawyers functioning on 3-4 hours of sleep on a daily basis for months on end.
I am genuinely tired of this lie young lawyers are sold - the first 10-15 years in litigation is when you have to do back-breaking work, then it gets easier. Except it's never easier; someone like Rohatgi with his houses in the Carribbean can't get a break and sleeps in the court halls. Tons and tons of designated senior lawyers also don't get enough sleep and rest. This lie only helps your senior make money off of your hardwork. Wake up, people!