Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
How many and which NLUs don't have a biased PhD process ? I feel you need connections to get into an NLU PhD program. However I still believe that there maybe some NLUs that geniunely give chance to "outsiders". Which ones are they ?
NUJS has a fairly diverse PhD cohort that I came across while delivering a few lectures to them during their coursework. So some of them ought to have made it on their own steam. Hope you do so too!
Avoid Northern NLUs. Majority of them take in only alumni. One such NLU had 12 vacancies, and 11 of them were alumni, and 1 was a guest professor teaching there. No chance for outsiders. Try for Southern or Eastern NLUs, they relatively have 50% outsider.
Get a JRF and it would help in selection. The fact that you'd be paid by the centre, is enough for many universities to over look other factors. Without JRF, or any stipend, you've got to be the best of the best in written and interviews.