We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
I'm currently a first year student in B. Tech Artificial Intelligence and Data Science from a tier III college. I wish to attain financial independence from my career and fulfilment.
Here's the snag, I'm not particularly inclined towards the Tech Industry, I'm extroverted and I find joy in arguing and debating the finer points of an abstract theory. So I thought, "Why not make a living out of it?" And thus found myself giving the MAH CET 5 year LLB exam. I scored 118-119-ish gauging from the answer key released, enough to get into GLC Mumbai. My ideal career roadmap in Law would be working in a Tier 1/2 firm.
Is this a wise decision? Will the pros of my passion, built-in aptitude for Law, the GLC tag outweigh all the negative aspects of the field? Or am I better off shutting up and getting my engineering degree?
You're not getting to do any of that working in T1 firms. Rather, your work would be even more monotonous than as a programmer.
I would suggest you must continue with engineering as it is the most in demand industry. Working with any product based company gives many perks which a T1 law firm might not give. Also T1 is difficult to get into.
In a nutshell, it is difficult to assess merit in law than in engineering. You might be the topper of the batch or have excellent mooting or debating skills, but HR for no reason can reject your candidature.
You will be surprised to know that law students have to intern a lot and even getting a T1 internship is a matter of celebration. But that's not in tech, you internships are not mandatory and if it's there are paid. On the other hand mostly law internships are unpaid.