We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
I am a student who is about to join WBNUJS this year for BSc LLB degree.
I have heard rumours about BSc being treated unfairly by admin and students body also and also a very competitive culture at the college generally which leads to many toxic incidents. Can you shed light on this and how to deal with it? I have also heard that there is a lot of alienation of certain individuals for no reason at all. This is scary to hear.
I am scared to join because of rumours about this toxic and dangerous environment, especially for BSc students and also within batches and I would really like reassurance/tips/truth on how to deal with this.
Mods please approve and seniors please help as I am unsure about choosing a college due to this and do not know how to approach a senior for this matter as scared I am.
OP, if you are reading this, not to dampen your enthusiasm or anything mate, but from what I have heard, they can get pretty nasty down there. An acquaintance of mine who is blind studied there and was prevented by a classmate, who played a trick which was way below the belt with my blind acquaintance's technology, from participating in an online competition (I won't provide further details here, because I share the mods' anxiety about potentially revealing identifiable information). For everyone other than OP, do all the shouting you like about this being a one-off and perhaps you might even be right, but also reflect on what that (somebody thinking it is okay to take advantage of a disabled person, in supposedly one of the nation's top law schools, in 2024) reveals about the place and its atmosphere.
The OP needs to be prepared to handle that stuff, which the previous comment wasn't giving helpful advice for OP to do. You have, in fact, provided that helpful advice, so props to you for doing that. In fact, if I were OP, I'd say you have been even more helpful, for you have stated the obvious to make sure the understanding on how not to be toxic yourself is clear.
Coming to the point of BSc students being treated unfairly; this is absolutely not the case. In fact non ba llb students get the most privileges like better rooms, permission to sit in the better areas of the library etc. Once you come here you will notice that there is even a particular water cooler in the acad bock which only non-ballb students get to use.
Come to the campus and see yourself with your parents, speak to the faculties and staff then take admission.
The admin being toxic to the bsc students is flat out lie. In fact, the admin is heavily pushing this concept of bsc llb since they were the ones to introduce it.
About discrimination from other students, I would say ranges from less to almost none, especially for this year. Our seniors in bsc llb did face one or two incidents in the beginning but since then, there have been 2 entire big fests and numerous other activities held at nujs and both bsc and ba have collaborated on the occasions, even participating in various moot court competitions together. In fact, in both of the 2 incidents mentioned above the seniors from 3rd and 4th year helped mediate the issues between both the batches.
Overall I feel the atmosphere is pretty welcoming. Any noticeable bits of "hate" are slowly fading fast, since in the words of a bsc seniors ." both bsc and ba have got proportional amounts of backs in contracts, and since then they have understood we are worth the same" XD