We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
But still, why snowflakes downvoting my comment which summarises my lived experience?
You don't like the fact that I am speaking out against it? You think you can suppress my truth? You think its not possible in this day and age?
Get out of your bubble maybe. Honestly, I prefer the overtly casteist people, not these liberal snake casteists who pretend or don't know how casteist they are.
Just as the US Supreme Court has abolished affirmative action so should we. These policies have no place in 21st century India.
I see - 3 downvotes on this main post. Are people afraid to see that discrimination and bullying actually exists? Also, if you haven't availed reservation refrain from commenting it doesn't exist, because, get this, its not your place or right to say so.
Now apart from what I have said.
a. A priestly caste classmate of mine has said casteist things to my SC classmate. Some abhorrent stuff, which he to this day refuses to speak about.
b. This UC classmate of mine has thrown shade on other savarnas who are Lower than him on the totem pole, so you can imagine. Man's a snake and a social climber.
c. People will exclude you from social plans for no obvious reasons suddenly.(I know it happens to normal people as well. But we're talking caste and reservations here and it being the obvious case)
Now during the course of our studies many of these so called Meritorious students who got in on merit. Who were especially proud of their genes, always had a family connection to get a top notch internship in firms and regulatory bodies. Whereas i had to walk to my dream firm, because I had exactly 15 rupees in my pocket, in biting old shoes to apply for internship (thank heavens they rejected me) and ended up with a swollen big toe and pinky toe. They got these internships on their merit or connections? Is that merit?
Many of these same people ended up with mediocre jobs (even LPOs) and lives per LI standards. But it doesn't matter, coz they have intergenerational wealth. I mean they can go expensive and elaborate trips and have insane houses when earning less than half of what I earn, collectively with their spouses!
Another very proud fellow, used his connections in his community to secure a nice plush job in his initial years and is now a partner in an average firm.
I now know that the condition in my alma mater has changed for the better amongst students (not all students). I'm proud of the kids there today.
No direct discrimination as such in NLUJ although outside the campus some people will ask your caste before your name.
At the time I had joined the so called NLU, i was ashamed that I had joined through reservation.
At the time, because of the then prevailing sentiments of the time (the then government had implemented / was to implement the 27% reservation for OBCs) anti reservation sentiment was in fervour. Savarna wokes were crying hoarse against reservation with a lot of vigour.
At the time, there was no one to tell us that reservation wasn't a handout. Nor did we have the language to articulate our situation.
I mean the criminal law professor in class during the discussion in first year on reservation believed / misrepresented to the students that reservations are for economic upliftment (lol. That show's his merit). So you can imagine our position, fresh into law school, no language or position to argue.
Now to the juicy bits.
To add context, in my alma mater at the time, majority of the professors and administrators were Savarnas. And especially belonging to one particular powerful caste of that state, who think they are of the "warrior" caste.
I grew up in a metro city, my English was and is impeccable, even more than some students from metro cities of India because of difficult financial situation at home pre law school. Infact I could give a SoBo boy a run for his money in terms of eloquence and polish. My name also sounds like a super higher caste name, because of lack of surname. Even today people from my workplaces think I'm from the priestly caste. Lol.
Ok enough context.
1. In private discussions, I have had people rant infront of me that caste reservations shouldn't be allowed. And even if they are, then people like this (pointing to me) should only be allowed. I had this wave of shame pass from my head to toe. I didnt know what to say, but to stare apologetically at the group.
In hindsight, they wanted someone who shares their high class aesthetic and polish, listens to western music be allowed.
2. I have heard conversations through other people where I know classmates have said people like me don't deserve to be in college and should be kicked out. These were people who were very friendly with me on the face, but said this behind my back.
3. In terms of romance, I can never confirm this, but I'm certain a romantic interest of mine was convinced against dating me partly due to caste. I say partly because there were other minor reasons by the persons who did badger her not to, and they may not have mentioned this overtly to her. I can never know, i could be wrong, just my hunch.
4. A professor in my college was in private with Savarna students of his caste very pally and would tell them how to behave according to caste.
5. I am pretty sure paper grading was biased according to caste, may not have been always. But sure was sometimes.
6. An SC professor in my college was definitely ostracized by other faculty. About him, he was very bad at teaching initially. He was also very bad diction and speaking. But I swear he improved by leaps and bounds and could explain concepts and theories so well. But was never given due credit. Whereas, professors who were stagnant and outdated and had mediocre teaching skills were celebrated just because of their savarna aesthetics.
7. I have had people innocently declare that (a) they want a nice Rajput (insert savarna caste) boy /girl for marriage, (b) they are of high birth, and have best genes in India, (c) they are the highest amongst the priestly class. As if we're scum, one or two of these genes fellows even had genetically deformed limbs.. The irony was not lost on me then, but I didn't want to hurt their feelings.
I know for you savarnas this is par for the course, and my statements may seem glaring. I don't think you guys understand the position of power you are in, and what goes through our minds. You guys are absolutely cut off from the plebians. You may be poor, but you're a poor rich person. We are the poor.
Also, why I am i seeing comments from people who haven't availed reservation here claiming there's no discrimination? You guys sit and don't take space here, its not your comment section here.
A very good podcast on this condition that i went through exists. Its by Anurag Minus Verma and the guest was Buffalo Intellectual.
Btw. You guys should attend Buffalo Intellectual's stand up (semi-comedy) show for a whole lot of context and reality check.
Again savarnas. Dont speak here please. Dont you claim there's no discrimination. You create a separate thread for it. Mods please look into it.
Indirect (Like excluding you from group activities, not considering your opinion as valuable): A lot of discrimination