We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
1. taking notes - Notability/Good Notes are exceptional tools if you know how to use them. I have extensive notes for all my matters since day 1 in the profession. For context, Iβm now PQE 3.
2. I use cloud (OneDrive/Dropbox) and save all my files there. I have access to my files in real time across my laptop, my iPad and my cell phone. I have never for one day used a physical file nor have I felt that I have been at a deficiency due to the same. To the contrary, I have all my documents just a folder away and I can open any document faster than any other person can if they are using a physical set or relying on their laptop.
3. I carry my iPad to courts. In addition to having ready access to files, I use my iPad to keep a check across multiple court display boards, check emails whilst in court, download judgments from SCC/Manupatra and all and sundry.
4. I have used my iPad as a secondary screen when drafting on my laptop, where from I access all documents, notes, etc. I donβt draft on my iPad. It is not a substitute for my laptop.
5. This is in addition to the countless benefits it offers me - managing my calendar and schedule, taking calls (via WiFi - cellular iPads are a waste of money), using my iPad for my personal use and watching movies, etc.
My iPad has made me a better professional. I bought my iPad 8th Gen a few months before entering the profession as a birthday gift. Along with the pencil, it incurred around INR 50k. I understand that not everyone has the privilege, but there are many of us who can and do buy cell phones, laptops etc. in that range for personal and professional use. And whereas Iβd love to see litigation firms and chambers providing iPads to new joinees, just like they provide them with laptops, I am satisfied with having spend 50k if since the past 3 and a half years it has helped me deliver better.
Thereβs no gloating here. Just a man who is in love with the fact that he is able to enjoy the profession better with technology. Seeking the views of like-minded people. Perhaps stop assuming the worst in people, you cynic?
Do you use it for drafting rather than a PC/laptop, or any specific apps or features you wanna point out or do you just wanna gloat over the fact that you were able to over pay for piece of tech which at best seems to be having only one selling point - "Looks good"