We want LI to be one of the friendliest places on the internet, where lawyers and law students help each other with their career related queries and occasionally discuss other stuff that might affect their lives too. In other words:
1. Be kind, respectful and helpful to each other.
2. Be bona fide, truthful, genuine and curious.
3. Assume the best intention of others.
Therefore, in using the site, you must agree to do your best to uphold these community guidelines.
Note that what you find here is written and moderated by anonymous people on the internet.
Therefore everything you read here is very likely unverified, rumour, speculation and/or downright false.
In continuing to read anything here, you must therefore agree not to take anything you read here as factual and that you will exercise due caution, diligence and common sense before acting on any information you may come across here.
You also agree to report any inaccurate or malicious comments with the buttons. Moderators take action within 24 hours, as required and appropriate under law.
Our full terms and conditions apply too.
Do you solemnly agree to all of the above?
Thing is, I’m feeling a bit lost about it all. I have just finished law school and am a few months into my job. Granted, I don't have knowledge about the field nor a commerce background. But i'm genuinely interested and the entry requirements are also pretty . If any of you have made a similar switch, I’d love to hear your story. What challenges did you face? Were there any skills from your legal background that came in handy? And how did you go about getting up to speed with all things finance?
Also, I’m curious about what life is like on the other side (for people who were in a law firm and changed careers). Is it as fulfilling as practicing law? Are there any major differences in the work culture or potential for career growth that I should know about? Any nuggets of wisdom or even just your own experiences would be super helpful right now. Seriously, I’m all ears! Thanks a bunch!
The only difference between law and finance is which one do you prefer more, letters vs numbers. Rest almost all is same, work life balance, nepotism etc. If working hours are the only reason to shift then something like marketing makes more sense.
Not wanting to sound negative but realistically I don't think it is possible to shift. Those who have done it have got an MBA first or have done the CFA in law school and then joined finance. I don't understand if you have no knowledge about the field, what makes you think you can shift and thrive there?