Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I am trying to get back into law since I didn't make it to my dream schools in UG. I am expecting to get GLC or ILS for the three year programme (if all goes well). I've always been keen on joining into the field, although since I do not have prior connections, I am sorta scared about my chances of getting quality internships. What should I do? Is it worth getting into this at this point in time?
I hate to be pessimistic about this especially since studying law is very interesting in some of the top law schools (mainly tier-1 NLUs). But, honestly, the legal profession is a bit of a joke in this country and is largely built on connections. Especially in litigation, the entire industry functions more on networks rather than merit. Granted, most professions have the same problem but in law, this is all the more compounded and obvious. Even the Supreme Court is riddled with this nepotism. And as a first-gen lawyer from bang average places like ILS and GLC, your best bet for good career growth is only corporate law (which is not that easy to get from the 3 year LLB). Or you can try for competitive exams like judiciary and civil services too for a stable job. But these require atleast a few committed years of hard work. If you are not clear on why you want this law degree, then it's better to avoid law altogether since the return on investment (in terms of both time and money) is pretty bad to say the least.
It's actually the opposite, being in GLC you can have an amazing jumpstart to Litigation and it's difficult to get into Law Firms.
I fail to understand why a rational human being is making a conscious choice to enter the legal field, when there is ANYTHING else you could do that'd be better for your future.
I'm actually at wits end myself, I'm not really keen into doing masters in my current field. I could've thought of taking a second attempt after my 12th ideally but I couldn't due to family issues. I'd really appreciate an honest opinion 😭.
Majority of people in law are same as like you,

By chance and not by choice.
3 years senior to you.

I'll give you one simple mantra to make your life easier after college.

Intern intern and intern. There should be no breaks or vacations that u haven't utilised in interning. Try to understand that we 3 yr people get 2 yrs less than the 5 yr guys, so make the most of it.
Oh hello, we 5 year people also get only last 2-3 years to intern due to college attendance issues.Plus we have strict attendance criteria throughout 5 years ,unless u 3 year guys who barely see any day in college.
Internship se kuchh nahi hota, sab boodbak giri hai

Yaha par sirf contacts chalte hai
I'd suggest to not come to GLC through the three year course. Both law firms and counsels prefer the five year course. The corporates do give equal consideration to both the courses but the corporates coming to GLC for in house roles are very less. However if you want to litigate GLC is the best option, because you can literally intern 9 months every year for three years. You'll essentially be having an experience of atleast similar to a two years practicing lawyer. Also don't worry about connections if you want to litigate, almost every counsel and advocate takes GLC kids lomg term very happily. They give you stipend and real work if you commit for a long term. But for corporate side 3 year course kids are sidelined in GLC. The RCC tries to push both batches equally but the recruiters are more interested in the 5 year course. Also, the three year course in GLC has a stricter attendance requirement compared to professors for the five year course. So I'd suggest going to better places where three year course is given more or equal importance. For example, NLS, CLC, DU.
Hi, I was in a similar situation. I currently work at a Tier 1. These are the tips I can give you: (1) intern as much as possible (specially if you go to GLC) - I did not utilize my time interning and in hindsight, the experience would have helped me; (2) don't hesitate in cold calling/e-mailing (you never know when you get lucky); (3) make sure you spend time understanding basic concepts with respect to the field of law you choose; and (4) focus on learning as much as possible and from wherever possible (I started my career at a T2 and realized that there is lots of learnings to pick up from juniors to peers to seniors).

All the best, you got this!
To OP: friend, please stay away from law. It is full of corruption and nepotism. Do an MBA and get into the tech industry. That’s where the money is, that’s where the merit is, that’s where the future is.
I am also from UG Science background, now doing 3 year LL.B along with the litigation internship, trust me if you have patience and thirst to learn in initial years with low pay, you can become a good lawyer and earn good income in the future days... And for litigation practice nobody cares about your college and marks but you have to Study on your own and get good basic understanding of law for your own good in this profession..

Once again I am saying don't go after the money for first few years !