Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Hi everyone. I am from non-law background but a avid reader of the forum. T1 firm salaries are really great. I was thinking if someone who has no liking for law stream but still want to join corporate law for the money. Would he survive long in the corporate environment?
Yes. I have seen many people who do it only for the money work in high intensity high billing areas. They do well, they make great money, they may not be happy or satisfied 100% of the time but that is anyway rare for any job. I'd say the most important quality to survive for long and to get to where the money is good is to ensure you have no bad habits (smoking, controlled drinking) and are able to keep physically and mentally fit via a strict exercise regime. Being physically and mentally fit and not having vices will make you outlast the competition, many of whom will develop illnesses and fragility within a decade.
I wouldn't recommend pursuing a 3-year LLB program if you already have a graduate degree or are pursuing a postgraduate degree, as most Tier 1 employers prefer candidates with a 5-year graduate degree. A 3-year LLB might not significantly enhance your career prospects unless it's from a highly reputed institution. Unfortunately, the only institute considered very prestigious by Tier 1 firms is NLS, and their admission process is highly competitive.

If you're currently completing your graduation or about to start it, preparing for entrance exams for a 5-year BA LLB program (from a Tier 1 NLU/JGLS) could be a better option. However, since you mentioned that you're not passionate about law, consider whether spending five years at a Tier 1 NLU/JGLS is the right choice. Landing a Tier 1 job is challenging unless you graduate from these top institutes, requiring extreme dedication and effort. Reflect deeply on whether you are willing to invest so much energy into a subject you are not passionate about. Take time to consider these questions carefully.
I kept hyping myself up on this throughout law school. Trust me you'll hate yourself if you don't actually have a passion for this. Ik I would've taken up teaching if the pay was half decent
It’s sheer resilience and willingness to trade time for money that will keep you in this for the long term.

Interest has nothing to do with, the ones who look like theyre having a good time are mostly sociopathic nerds who enjoy bullying people and acting fancy doing a bullshit nonsense job.

This is 100% true for corporate law teams, not sure about others.
Getting a job in a tier 1 is a lot harder than you think. The HR is a joke in these firms.
Yes, go for it. Obviously I am assuming you have the ability to get into a T1 firm.

If you're very clear that you will be working very hard, doing tedious work and doing it for the money, without any illusions about having a "passion" for the law or the minutiae of corporate legal documents you'll probably have an advantage over the average law student.

I don't think an MBA is any easier way to make money - it's just a different set of tradeoffs and T1 law compares favourably in several ways - everyone thinks their job is the worst and grass is greener on the other side but that isn't true.

Of course if you are TRULY money focussed, then entrepreneurship is the best way to get truly wealthy at a level way beyond T1 lawyers - but that has a lot of RISK. If you don't want to take that kind of risk but want money then T1 law is a good option (along with investment banking, consulting, MBA blah blah - this is why London and New York are full of Indians in those fields).
The salaries at law firms are a joke even for starters and it only gets worse when you account the hours you have to put in. But one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. So all the best
A 11-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.
A 3-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.