Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I was among the top ten in my batch, but tanked my GPA last semester (sem 5). I really wanted a vacation scheme. Now I feel so dejected that I don't even want to study or work on anything. I zone out in classes and feel like shit all the time. Is there something I can do to get out of this rut?
Hey, you can still improve your batch rank. Make a plan and then do it. In my college, people applied later on for the vacation scheme and still got in. There's nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Make a per semester plan and work harder than others. Depression will be gone once you see the improvement and the result.
Sun bhai, people will get you Santwana and shit, I wanna give you a reality check.

Forget the VS, forget it, even forget getting a decent Day Z offer if you arent in a top NLU. Just apply to internships at firms and get experienced and try getting a PPO.

VS and Day 0s are TOTALLY GPA based, and you cannot turn your rank upside down in one sem trust me.
For tier 1 firms it is, all firms shortlist the available top 15 rankers, of course the interview later isn't rank based.
Hi, just here to bust two common myths — firstly, vac schemes are actually not necessarily about your rank at all. In fact, I've seen people ranked well near 50 get shortlisted for interviews with Links and A&O. Some applications don't even ask your rank per se, just your CGPA — the most important part is filling your application to the best of your ability, and getting it reviewed by as many previously shortlisted people as possible.

Secondly, the golden circle firms are NOT the only ones that offer India-targetted vac schemes. There are a number of Asian & European firms that open such applications, and most of them don't put focus on ranks, but rather a complete picture of your CV.

So, all things considered, one bad sem would not really diminish your chances at vac schemes — particularly if you can explain it properly wherever required.

And, a bonus gyaan from someone who pretty much got every other job offer I set my eyes on — don't let your privileged SoBo-type "toppers" bully you into thinking that you don't have a shot at this because of your rank. By third year, I was already in talks for PPOs from two well-established firms, and basically had never gotten rejected in any application I'd fully prepared: but because of an average rank and the hushed whispers of the privileged batchmates, I assumed that I didn't have a shot at vac schemes and never bothered applying — dumbest thing I could do back then. Don't make the same mistake!