Read 37 comments as:
Filter By
Yar abhi ye sab mat karwao. Akhri saal hai kyu career ki aisi taisi karni hai
Ofcourse, the PIL was filed by Prof. Sharmila Ghuge. Attendance was already mandatory in SVKM's Jitendra Chauhan College of Law and the college made sure to implement the MU attendance policy. JCCL is probably the only college that pays attention to academics as well as internships. Though their placement cell is not as good as GLC but one can definitely expect in the near future.
Was long overdue! This kind of colleges have made legal education look like a joke. The importance of classroom education can't be overstated!
Seriously. Then again, GLC and all these Mumbai University colleges are a frikkin' joke. Everyone depends on contacts and networking to get a job rather than academic rigour or merit.
Trust me GLC kids would be one of the strongest people you'll come across while working in Mumbai. Start at any t1 and you'll realise.
I have been at a T1 and GLC kids are nothing special. And I’ve found top-tier NLU students to be far more knowledgeable about the law and industrious in their work ethic.
GLC kids spend a lot of time at firms and understand law firm culture better. that is not a praise of GLC.

in general you will never see GLC kids winning moots/research etc. or doing anything other than corporate law, they just don't know how and GLC does not give you those opportunities.
Bossman the timings are in the morning from the 3rd year. We'll still intern, just after 11.
Yeah no. In India we learn absolutely nothing from classrooms except a few profs. Whoever filed this PIL is a massive hater - as someone from an NLU, I wish we had a policy like this at least in our last two years.
Drop out and get the job via internships. Why are you studying at an NLU?
Exactly. You always have the option of getting enrolled in a shitty TLC where the fees would be much lower and intern throughout the year. Go for it!
Law students are too entitled to think that they know everything and dont require classroom education. Students these days dont even know the basics of law.
Yesss let's go! All degrees where 75% attendance cannot be proved should be invalidated!
Almost no top NLU other than NLSIU enforces this either. NUJS is the biggest joke among top NLUs where people are allowed to sit for exam with less than 10% attendance too.
The VC is the one responsible for this. He's getting in a large number of thoroughly incompetent people in and destroying the academic culture of the place. Students are happy letting him do that so long as they get inflated grades, license to cheat and extra attendances.
Broski we still have classes between 7 to 10 from fourth year at GLC. It will just take some more effort for us. On the plus side because of this GLC will at least bother hiring teachers so we don't have to self-study each subject. GLC is Jugaad and Jugaad is GLC.
Can we please consider that GLC is not the only college under Mumbai university and GLC is quite literally a bad college. It survives only because it has a great alumni base.
If it keeps producing successful alumni, then you can't keep calling it a bad place.
Keeps producing? There haven't been even 10 non-nepotistic successful alumni from there since the NLU/CLAT era began.
This actually is very very necessary. Other colleges aren't stupid that they are enforcing 75%, if the mandate requires this all colleges which have been relaxing these attendance requirements are giving these students an unfair advantage cough cough symbol
Why do you have a problem with such students undertaking long term internships? In my short career of 24 years, I have found long term internships / articleship immeasurably more beneficial and helpful to students than classroom lectures. This is perhaps due to the state of legal education in the country, the quality of faculty, money in the academic profession etc. Regardless, I and many of my equity/managing partner ilk, prefer to directly induct such long term interns/articles over a fresher from an NLU. I find the comments eulogising the relevance of academics laughable - we are hardcore commercial advocates who work to make money and glory for ourselves. Only work can give you that education. Not a classroom.
Then lobby the BCI to waive the requirements of a degree. Just let students sit for the Bar directly and if they qualify, then take them in. However, what's being done in these places is falsehood and deception. That's not ethical. Waive the requirement for attendance officially then.
Stop being a whiny infantile. Equality is a myth and all systems have inconsistencies. If you attend an NLU, be good enough to rank in top 20. Otherwise join a GLC and hustle and secure a long term internship or articleship. Sitting on your chair and pedantically arguing as you are achieves nothing. Be a go getter not a no doer.
You prefer that because you get free labour for 2-3 years before you have to start paying them salaries.

They are trained within 2-3 months, and work as paralegals or munshis.
Such a comment could only have been made by an ▮▮▮ ▮▮▮. Why will I spend 2-3 years of my Organisation's time in giving our knowledge and the best training possible to someone, if i do not intend to bring them into my fold and have them eventually join my partnership? If the juniors are not happy, they will leave and join my competitors, equipped with all the brilliant training they have received from me. Is that not the most foolish thing i could ever do? I suggest you think analytically before responding. Suggest you also refrain from regurgitating the tripe that dullards on this forum spew like an automaton.
If students don't attend lectures, chances are, the lectures don't add much value. And if they're successful without attending lectures, chances are that daily lectures aren't necessary in any college. Lecturing only adds some value. Practical training should be mixed in.