Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
EPOCHAL MOMENT: JGLS Ranked India’s No. 1 Law School for 5 years in a Row and 72nd in the World ||

QS World University Rankings by Subject 2024

Globally, JGLS has been ranked 72nd, making it the only law school in India to be featured among the TOP-100 in the world.

JGLS has been ranked higher than such globally reputed institutions as University of Nottingham, UK (ranked 78th), University of Texas at Austin, USA (ranked 79th), Waseda University, Japan (ranked 84th) and George Washington University, USA (ranked 89th), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore (ranked 91st), Boston University, USA (ranked 93rd), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China (ranked 94th), University of Vienna, Austria (ranked 98th), University of Geneva, Switzerland (ranked 99th) in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2024.

I am delighted to share the fantastic news that Jindal Global Law School (JGLS) has been ranked No. 1 in India for five years in a row in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2024. Globally, JGLS has been ranked 72nd, making it the only law school in India to be featured among the TOP-100 in the world. This is indeed an Epochal moment for JGU and JGLS.

Besides JGLS, two other Law Schools from India have made it to the prestigious list this year -- National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bengaluru (ranked 151-200), and the Faculty of Law, University of Delhi (ranked 201-250).

To produce the rankings for this year, QS analysed the reputation and research output of almost 5,000 institutions. From this group, 1,561 were ranked across 55 subjects and 5 broad subject areas, creating over 19,100 entries. These figures reflect the scale and comprehensiveness behind this undertaking that QS carries out in order to produce these subject rankings.

To rank the institutions by subject, QS considers academic reputation; employer reputation; research citations; H-index, an index that attempts to measure the stability of impact and quality of the work published by the institution’s scholars; and International Research Network (IRN), a measure of efficiency of establishing stable research collaborations.

I would like to share with you the words of excitement and encouragement of Mr. Naveen Jindal, Founding Chancellor of O.P. Jindal Global University on JGLS achieving this remarkable feat, “The consistency with which JGLS has been featured as the country’s top law school in the prestigious QS World University Rankings points to the fact that it has never wavered in its mission of providing world-class education in India. The emergence of JGLS as India’s No. 1 law school in just over a decade of its existence also signifies the thirst for quality education among the youth of the country. It is a matter of immense pride for me that JGLS has been successful in fulfilling their aspirations. I am particularly thrilled by the fact that JGLS has retained the number 1 position in India for five consecutive years. I am confident that the dedication of the faculty and staff of JGU will inspire us to remain steadfast in our commitment to raising the bar of legal education.”

From VC's mail to JGU community.
cool gig, don't get too high thinking this makes JGLS any better than NLSIU in any practical aspect, or NLUD, GNLU, NLUJ, NALSAR etc. for that matter.
Still, not many in the legal community in India, give a shit.
Reactions by the NLU bhakts on this platform:
1. The QS ranking methodology is flawed, hence NLS' ranking is abysmal.
2. NLS has a policy of not taking such ranking seriously.
3. JGLS' through its contacts was able to influence the outcome.
4. NLS believes in the NIRF ranking over the QS ranking.
5. This cannot be true. This is an April fool's joke, albeit a belated one.
6. Our students are better, so who cares about these rankings?
7. But we have the "Wrodes" scholars.
8. .........
9. .....

Let's see how far / deep the stupidity goes.
Correction. Forget NLS no law school believes in NIRF or for that matter QS rankings. The only rankings that matter are placement percentages.
Yes. Ranking wise its better but NLS still churns out more corporate employable graduates than JGLS
There is a reason that QS rankings are bullshit. A whopping 45% of the rankings are based on academic and employer REPUTATION, which as many in academia and MNCs have pointed out are wildly inaccurate. Employment OUTCOMES, btw, like actual jobs, count for only 5%. There is also a 'research network' weightage of 5%.

Methodology source: https://support.qs.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4405955370898-QS-World-University-Rankings

Times also gets heat on the inaccurate reputation comprising of 33% of their rankings, but just that 12% drop compared to QS makes their rankings have an astonishing difference.

Methodology source: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/world-university-rankings-2024-methodology

Having now done some research on this, I found a good example: Tilburg Law School, Netherlands. They consistently rank #1 in SSRN by downloads [1]. Note that Tilburg Law and their Law & Economics department are split in the rankings (unlike other schools on the list) and yet both as split schools feature in top 10 along with Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. and the entirety of the Max Planck Law group.

Reflecting this, Tilburg ranks #18 in the world above UPenn, UMich, UCLA etc. in the Times Ranking. [2] However, the moment subjective reputations play a large part, Tilburg ranks 101-150 in QS. [3] That is an extreme change which does not reflect citations, outputs and teaching. Yes, teaching. I found that Tilburg is rated exceptionally high in Dutch student surveys (4/5 stars) as well. [4]

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

[1] https://hq.ssrn.com/rankings/Ranking_Display.cfm?TMY_gID=2&TRN_gID=14

[2] https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2024/subject-ranking/law#!/length/-1/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

[3] https://www.topuniversities.com/university-subject-rankings/law-legal-studies?search=tilburg

[4] https://www.studiekeuze123.nl/opleidingen/6984-rechtsgeleerdheid-tilburg-university-wo-bachelor
OK, dude. Someone has already provided the list of excuses. Pick and choose the ones you like, besides #1 that you have already elaborated.
Just because someone has put random stuff on a list does not mean all of them are invalid. Just saying. If you want to refute, refute on merits. Not because some random jgls007 posted a list.
It's a juvenile trick to call all legit points of criticism as 'excuses', so long as you don't have any real response to any of those.
Happy for JGLS, but it is an open secret that QS rankings can be "hacked". For most students NLS/ NLUD/ Nalsar will remain preferable choices.
Aha.....so you liked #3 from the list of excuses already shown.
If you are a JGLS student and you genuinely feel that JGLS is the best Indian law school, good for you. Hope you enjoy your education and you get the career outcome you want.

If you are an aspirant who is willing to leave an NLS/ NLUD/ Nalsar for JGLS, I am sure many other aspirants would be happy with your choice.
Did VC talk about the molestation and harassment of faculty by one of the students?
JGLS sure is producing a good quantity of legal research articles in SCOPUS indexed journals. Gradually, the quality may also improve. It'll be interesting to see if they can break into top 20 in the next 5 years and top 5 in next 20 years.

If rankings are the way, people should come to JGLS for education at a fraction of cost when compared to NTU. And in 20 years, JGLS will make sure that India becomes Vishwaguru in legal education. All hail JGLS.
Lol, first trying beating National University of Singapore, which is still way ahead. Silly folks comparing themselves to NTU
10 years ago, crossing NTU would've sounded impossible. Now, NTU is dust and it's JGLS time.
Lol. As of now it's not even in the top 10 in Asia and it hopes to be top 10 in the world

Joke
Yeah it's 11th. Won't be surprised if it's in top 5 in Asia next time. Hong Kong is likely to see a decline. They used to be at the top.
JGLS does not produce more per faculty SCOPUS publications annually compared to the top NLUs, despite offering way more funding and incentives for such publications. Their total number of SCOPUS publications is higher because they employ more faculty then 6-7 NLUs combined.
As someone who keeps getting approached by private law universities in India with requests to mark them well in the QS survey (which I get invites to participate in every year), I assure you that the rankings can be 'hacked' by focusing on a few things on pen and paper without any meaningful institutional development in terms of education. There is a reason several globally reputed universities are dropping out of these rankings deliberately.
An average nls student is far better than the top jgls students lol
So the mighty JGLS has dropped from 70 to 72?? Looks like an indication of deterioration to me? See their webpage here describing how they are 70th in the world in 2022.

https://jgu.edu.in/jgls/
Said VC has also emailed anyone in Jindal's contacts apparently, I received this too lmao