Read 3 comments as:
Filter By
Hello. I am pursuing LLM ( Criminal Law) from Jamia currently, will complete the same next year (June or July). Thereafter I intend to pursue PhD from IIT-D in Sociology or Anthropology. Now the problem is that I don't know anyone in real life who pursued PhD from IIT-D.
So, please enlighten me, if it's the right step or what.

Just few points to add-
- I intend to go into academia.
- I am also contemplating PhD from TISS ( Mumbai).
- I am really unaware about granting of fellowship and it's uniformity even if I clear UGC NET+ JRF.

- I want to go for a value PhD, not just something for the sake of degree.

I don't want rants and nonsensical answers.
If you wish to do a PhD from IIT, the basic requirement along with your masters is a national level eligibility test, for us it's NET. So, you need to clear that.

I can't disclose which IIT I am in , but I get 25k per month, however with JRF you will get more. Non-JRF fellowships, i.e., institutional support fellowship changes according to university, however a JRF will give you a common & constant fellowship. Also, a JRF will help with the fellowship, as it well give more weightage in the interviews.

Only a few IITs have a law related PhD. But since you wish to go for a PhD in sociology and anthropology, please compare which IITs provide a better faculty.

Between TISS & IIT, it depends on where you want your career to go. If you want to focus on more social-society oriented research, then TISS. If you want to focus on more tech and society, then IIT. Both have a good tag in the market. So either works.

As far as seriousness goes, according to your thesis, focus on faculty that is currently publishing and working in that field. Unfortunately most of our professors live on past laurels.

If there's anything else you need to know, please ask away.
TISS’ academic culture is more policy oriented, while IIT’s can help provide greater theoretical grounding.

Also, as long as your work is situated within anthropology or sociology, do consider if you can crack D School. However, more that they do not usually take in PhD candidates who haven’t done at least a Masters with them.

You should also look at JNU and some of the younger private institutions like Shiv Nadar, Ashoka, and KREA. The financial institutional support at these places is stronger and they have very competent faculty in your area.

Do try to clear the JRF in any case.

The best way of getting a clearer insight into any institution is to do a quick run through the faculty at each place. Try to figure out who are the people that would be best situated from a subject specialization to guide your project. Once you do this, then move to LinkedIn and try to create a list of five doctorates (not current ones, but ones who are finished) at each institution you are considering. Write to each introducing yourself and see if one or two would speak to you. If you get a positive response, then meet with them, or e-meet, to get a sense of the place, the program, the people (perspective supervisors) who you have marked out as best for your project.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.