Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
Hi,

Has anyone of you here have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)? Please share how you function in what you do. Be it a lawfirm, inhouse, or something which is completely non-law. What kind of systems have you placed so your functioning can fit well in organizations you've worked with? Do use of ADHD meds help you in focussing on law firm work which is often mundane? How do you deal with memory and brain fog? If not purusing law, what have you been doing in your life to make money / which sparks your interests? Do you get anxious because of the amount of work you get in your work and ADHD just worsens it?

Above are just the talking points which you may take a lead with. ADHD is so less talked about in this community despite it being one of the most common mental health issues. Lets talk ADHD among lawyers!
Diagnoses with ADHD. Took meds, nothing helped much. Do you know what did? Sitting at one place for an hour, closing my eyes and forcing myself to focus on my breath.
Can't focus for an hour myself tho. Ex-lawyer, moved to B School to have a more "leisurely" way of life but was anything but.

I somehow operate in cycles (highs and lows), and medications, including stimulants such as Modafinil, etc have not been able to help generally during the low period.

What somehow gets me through this is exercise, I cannot meditate, but love to cycle, and cycling alone is like meditation for me.

Honestly, Idk if there is any one size fits all straitjacket solution that you can glean here. You can perhaps experiment with the coping mechanisms people have mentioned but yours may be something entirely different, and might even evolve. For me, pre-law school, this was novels.

Also, my brother who is an IIT-IIMA guy, has ADHD himself, and similarly functions in highs and lows, and FPS games somehow work for him. Best of luck, hope you find your "something" that keeps you going!
OP here. Do you mind sharing more about what you work? I too face similar issues of operating in cycles of highs and lows. How do you incorporate that in your work? For me, when I am going through lows, it becomes really difficult for me to function, that too in scenarios where I have less agency at work. Also please what strategies worked for your brother as well in academics and career. Just want to better understand how people strategize their ADHD.
I work with ADHD.

Meds are recommended. But not a permanent solution.

Focus here:

- Nutrition (keep vitamin and protein levels right)

- Exercise (couple of times a week is fine)

- Planners (you have to keep yourself organised, plan your work and todos very very well)

There will be roadblocks - but if you love your job, ADHD will become your super power and you will do better than most.
ADHD is not a mental health issue like depression or anxiety that can be treated. It's a neurodevelopmental disorder that is incurable but only manageable with either medicines or behavioral therapy or a combination of both. I still haven't found a solution to tackle this. Somehow made it to SA2 in a T1 with all this and don't think I'll last long enough to see it through to partner. It's tough, medicines help but the overall stress and anxiety associated with the T1 work culture is kind of a double whammy. Maybe one day I'll stike a balance. Till then, I just go with the flow and hope things will get better.
Are you the inattentive type or hyperactive? How do you manage with procrastination? If you have anxiety coupled with ADHD, what are your mechanisms to cope with it?
I am the inattentive type. My procrastination is barely manageable. The panic monster helps in meeting deadlines that are absolutely non negotiable. But meeting regular deadlines is the biggest challenge for me. Coping with ADHD has been hit and miss so far. It helps that when I'm hyper focusing, I can absolutely blow the competition out of the water and that's probably why when push comes to shove, ADHD feels like a superpower.

Yes I have anxiety coupled with ADHD and was also treated for depression a few years back (not sure if it went away fully though). Coping with anxiety has been a hit and a miss. In crunch situations I take anxiety meds. Otherwise I just ride out. Thankfully anxiety attacks are not as bad these days (and they were never as bad as panic attacks).
Lawyer with ADHD. Watch Charles Barkley's seminars on working with ADHD, he is the absolute authority on ADHD neuropsychology.

Get meds if possible. Keep your protein levels high for meds so that they synthesize slowly. Sip on sugary drinks during long periods of focus (sip, don't gulp or you'll get a sugar rush). Use alarms and planners.

Most importantly, meditate. That's what helps me even when the meds wear off. There's scientific evidence on how mindful meditation helps with ADHD and anxiety. Start with just 10 minutes a day, plenty of videos on youtube.
Follow Healthygamer on YT. He's a Harvard trained psychiatrist who has a ADHD guide for 30$ on his website. It helped me.
Hey, I have it too. It's a superpower, trust me. You can be hyper-focused only on the things you like but that's where you will be winning and the rest of them would be just playing.

Someone I listen to told me that one day, there will be a time when everybody will want to have ADHD. The ones without them are living a vanilla life.
Okay I'll tell you my story.

I am a TLC graduate, currently working in a T1 in Bangalore.

I was completely disheartened with my CLAT results and my parents made me join a private college in Bangalore.

I didn't feel like doing anything, missed classes, deadlines, didn't appear for all my exams(we had this criteria that we had to pass 2 papers to get promoted, so just used to do that).

But in my third year, I realised I needed to seek help. After a lot of sessions with a psychologist, she referred me to a psychiatrist.

I was diagnosed with ADHD towards the end of third year.

Started taking meds and maintaining a healthier lifestyle. Got my shit in order.

Cleared all my backs(Read:18), by the end of 9th semester. Used to be conscious about things like when I am procrastinating and shit. Helped a lot when I held myself accountable for stuff.

Now I take my meds only when I think that I'll need it to get my shit in order or I might procrastinate.

Else I raw-dog the assignment, as I am hyper-focused when the deadlines are near.

It's a superpower, not everyone can tame it.
please share your journey from having backs + private college to T1firm. Really struggling at this point.
As I mentioned I was struggling with a lot during my initial years of law school but I decided that I needed to buckle up, at that point I didn't even that I want to build a career in law or not.

So, I was like let's get this degree and then I'll see what I can do with this degree.

And people with ADHD thrive when push comes to shive. Initially I used to study before my exams. But in my fourth year I started studying a month before.

Went through my university's past year papers.

Made a compendium of repeated and important questions. Compiled answers for all of them. Started studying and by the time my exams started I was done with 80% of my prep.

Repeated the same cycle and by the time I was in my 5th year, I was only left with 2 backs.

Regarding the T1 job, I was lucky because somehow through contacts, I was able to land two assesment internship. Since, I was from a private college, I knew I had to work harder than others.

I prepared well before the internship. I talked to associates who already work in T1 and friends who had interned with firms. Brushed up my research skills, learnt how to submit deliverables like an associate (like the format and stuff).

Basically I did everything, a associate was expected to do. Landed offers from both of them.

Honestly, it was an experience and I thrive in such situations so by god's grace everything worked in my favour
There's an NUJS graduate who is a self proclaimed ADHD and claims to have autism. Worked at couple of T1s before starting courses at an organization started by her college seniors. She's mentioned all this on her LinkedIn. May be you could reach out to her.