Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hi,

I wanted to ask MBs, if there are any here, what are the best capital markets teams you have come across? In terms of quality of work, and professionalism.

What teams have you seen, which don't appear haggard and overworked? What team would you recommend for a 3 PQE Cap Marks lawyer?

Also, other cap marks lawyers, please do chip in. My family is rich, I don't mind the pay, I want a good working environment which respects holidays and vacations. I can slog 25 hours in a day, but I can't tolerate infringement of my vacation time.
OP here.

Listen, I have put in inhumane hours to master the practice to reach the level I am. I have forsaken birthdays, relationships, festivals and events for this practice.

I can outsmart some (not all mind you, definitely some) T1 Partners in meetings with respect to this practice. I can supervise work of 3-4 juniors and do my work. I can juggle 3-4 DRHPs in a single day. I kid you not, my teammate of same PQE quit my team out of shame, I don't want to brag, but so be it.

I can recall ICDR, circulars even for issues that occurred under ICDR 2009 and before. I think I do get to set out some of my terms, these are not wildly off the standard practice. My terms are bare minimum, I am not asking for a 9-5 cushy job, just respect my pre-planned vacation.

I don't know who you are, but this attitude of yours only works with people who are afraid of getting their careers railed. People who are either mediocre or who are completely reliant on this job for this lifestyle. I am not. I don't care what money hits my bank account, I don't have to pay other bills or rent, my company pays the rent, the one of the many in which I have ownership through my family.

My smallest company can afford to employ 2-3 T1 equity partners with full salary and bonuses for doing nothing. So, I am very grateful for the privilege I am born into, and the wealth that allows me to sit on this high horse.

Fun fact, the reason I practice Capital Markets is because while I was studying 12th Commerce, one of our family companies was doing an IPO and I saw the lawyers, they seemed so cool.

People like you are the reason the good people leave this practice.
SAM, Delhi has good people to work with at the associate and mid-senior level. SNG & Partners have a small team but they have been good to work with so far.

However, working with the other T1 firms is not so pleasant at a personal level although the standard of work is higher.
Well what else will you say? Is anyone even left in Sam Mumbai? Monal is no longer showing on their website as a Partner.
I hear Dentons Link Legal having a decent cap mkts practice. Working environment appears to be good and the Partner heading the practice is helpful and approachable.
Are you the approachable partner? M nobody knows that they do cap marks.
capmarks and banking has the worst work life balance and involves slogging nights out. Try funds or TMT or something else which involves fewer hours man.
You wanting to slog 25 hours in a day only shows your commitment to the deal you are working on or the client you are working on. Kudos to your spirit!

As far as you not being able to tolerate infringement of your vacation time, you should realise that only life-altering events (like funerals, marriages, the birth of a child) and religious holidays are considered sacrosanct only if you have a decent person as your boss. Sadly, the capital markets practice due to its cartelisation does not have a lot of decent people heading any of the major teams.

If you are hoping for random sojourns to foreign lands as per your whims and
Pradhan Murkh,

The best teams as per quality of work are:

S&R

CAM

Azb

Kco (A team, not B team)

Indus

Trilegal (Mumbai Office - the Delhi partner doesn't deserve to be ranked)

JSA

SAM

(PS: Before the Scammies start defending themselves, please go back and check your lapses during the One97 IPO. The same IPO where your practice head (not the firm) made crores)

None of the teams should be ranked as per their professionalism because none are consistently professional. Each team (apart from S&R) has multiple senior members who openly propagate cutting corners.

If your family is rich, the best option is to leave the capital markets practice. The current cartel of team leaders will only use your connections (and your zeal to work hard) to build their practices on the back of your efforts and sweat.

Unless you are from a politician family, a bureaucrats family, or a leading lawyers/CA family, you will never be allowed a seat at the table, let alone a chance to become anything more than a glorified assistant.

Also, unless you are the team leaders pet, you should expect to have every leave of yours infringed upon. Uninterrupted random foreign sojourns are reserved for the team leaders and their pets.

Should you require any further clarification, in place of using a pseudonym on LI, please reach out directly.

Regards,
Thank you for a very detailed answer.

The only reason I do the capital markets practice is for the fun and thrill of the practice. I love it.

My team doesn't know my family and connections, I have never revealed the scale. They think I am some small town so and so, the remoteness and vagueness helps. :) I didn't tell precisely for this reason.

Now that you say about this artificial glass ceiling, it makes a lot of sense how my boss my behaves, how his bosses behave. The no seat at the table fact is so disconcerting, repulsive.

I think I know who you are. :) I'll risk it and reach out by tomorrow evening.
If you are from any of the Amarchand, you might have heard of me.

Anyway, let us see how well you can dig and where you reach.

…..h ….a
A 12-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 3 weeks ago was not published.