Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
This article is so appropriate for this platform as "ranking" NLUs is a neurotic obsession here. And yet, overall the NLUs have actually deteriorated in the past 5 - 10 years. Thanks, in part to YT 'influencers' and coaching centers.

"A student is no longer a seeker or an awakened citizen; instead she/he is turned into a consumer in search of a brand - a branded university or a branded course."

https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/why-our-obsession-with-ranking-universities-does-more-harm-than-good-8274759/
What is the alternative? Not ranking institutions? If we do so, students will not be able to take an informed decision as to which colleges to join. How will that help?!
As an input (among many other factors) ranking is acceptable. The key operative word is "neurotic obsession". Remember, there was a time when universities had no ranking and they still "managed" to be successful and produced successful alumni. Many universities are now opting out of ranking exercises deliberately - it reduces the university to a mere number. Take NLUs for instance. One cannot associate a particular NLU with a specific outstanding area of work/discipline within law that it is known for. Other than the date of establishment, an NLS is actually no different from NLU Meghalaya. NLS, even after so many years does not stand for anything that makes it unique. In other words, if NLU Meghalaya was the first NLU to be set up it'd be ranked No. 1 today, by virtue of its age. But then as my supervisor used to say - even a donkey ages.
Unique Aspects of NLSIU:

25 Rhodes Scholars: NLSIU boasts 25 Rhodes Scholars, showcasing the academic excellence of its students.

Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition: NLSIU is the only law school in South Asia to have won this prestigious competition twice, highlighting its prowess in international law advocacy.

National Law School of India Review: The NLSIU's student-run law journal has been cited by the Supreme Court of India in two notable judgments, including the landmark Right to Privacy verdict. This achievement sets it apart as one of the few Indian law journals recognized by the Supreme Court.

And much more: NLSIU's unique attributes extend beyond these mentioned points, solidifying its reputation as a leading institution in legal education.
Be assured that if NLU Meghalaya was the first NLU to be established, with the first few years without any competition (i.e. no other NLU in the landscape) it'd have the same "achievements".

You still cannot answer the question - what makes NLS unique as an institution that it is known in a specific area of law? Remember the question is about the university, and don't cite me student achievements as above.
Please do tell me what β€œuniversity achievements” do AIIMS Delhi, IIM A, or IIT M have.
Why deviate when in a corner? Let's keep the discussion limited to NLUs and law education - the subject of this platform.
Considering the NLS is regarded as one of the pioneers of legal education, we do not have many institutions to compare it to.
NLS isn't the pioneer, Menon was. Once other NLUs started coming up, there was no other difference than first mover advantage.
You haven't understood what I said. For a CLAT aspirant, the only reason they'd choose one NLU over another is placements. If NLU Meghalaya had the first mover advantage, it'd have the same results as NLS, and CLAT aspirants would choose NLU Meghalaya over NLS.

Just think, a new NLU today has to compete with 20+ other NLUs and perhaps 10 good private law schools for everything - faculty, resources, students, and placements. etc. that NLS never had to (at least for the 5-year law degree version).
When NLS began its operations, it had to compete against well-established law schools like GLC, ILS-P (it was considered prestigious then), FoL DU etc. This made it quite challenging for NLS initially.

Additionally, when NLS started its operations, the concept of a five-year undergraduate law degree was entirely new in India. This posed difficulties in promoting this innovative approach. However, newer NLUs now benefit from the groundwork laid by NLS. They do not face the same challenges of students being unfamiliar with the concept of a five-year undergraduate law course, giving them an advantage. NLS has laid a lot of the groundwork for other NLUs.
You forget that NLS' USP was the 5-year LLB program for which it had no competition when it started. It was the first time in India. NLS won a race where it was the only one in the fray. To put it another way, if NLS were to be set up today, it would be classified as a "Tier 3" NLU and would have no chance in ever moving to be T1.
Oh, is it? NLS does in-fact have to constantly innovate and improve to maintain its position. Consider what happened to NLUs that did not in-fact innovate. Look at the fate of NLIU as compared to NLUD.

PS: I completely understand if you did not do well in CLAT, the exam is not everyone’s cup of tea but don’t go on arguing why the best NLU through that exam is bad and not good enough for you.
Please give an example of NLS' innovation rather than going ad hominem to others when it suits your agenda.
Obviously, you don't understand the difference between "defense" and "offense". Brush up your English and then come and debate. As someone has commented, NLS has defended its position, but never actually beaten (outranked) any NLU through specific innovations (offense). It does not have the experience of coming up the ranks.
That's true. If you think about it - NLS actually hasn't beaten any NLU at any time. What this means is there was never a case where at a certain time NLS was Ranked 10, then Rank 5, and then Rank 1. It has never had to progress in ranking by doing something significant or substantial (except the date of establishment). In the military, this is called - not having combat experience.

This is dangerous for NLS. The day it loses its Rank 1 among state NLUs (and it will soon), it will not be able to come up to Rank 1 again because it just does not know how to. I hope the current administration understands this.
Yes, there's more. The University of Zurich has withdrawn from the university ranking published by The Times Higher Education (THE) as it creates false incentives. They are not even worth the paper they are written on.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/education/university-of-zurich-quits-international-university-ranking/73693006
Reminds me of a paper I had read a couple of years ago on college ratings and competition law.

Theodosia Stavroulaki, Equality of Opportunity and Antitrust: The Curious Case of College Rankings, Journal of Competition Law & Economics, Volume 17, Issue 4, December 2021, Pages 903–946, https://doi.org/10.1093/joclec/nhab008