Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, so jumping straight to the point, I am from the 2024 batch and will be graduating soon.

I am Bombay born even though I donโ€™t reside there anymore and have concluded most of my internships there. I had things planned out, potential flat, flatmates everything.

Then Life decided to slap me in the face. Hehe

Iโ€™ll be joining a firm in Delhi but as someone w social anxiety there are certain issues that may seem trivial but they do bother me.

My entire circle is moving to Bombay but I want to give Delhi a fair chance.

1) Could yaโ€™ll share your experiences moving to Delhi without your close knit circle. Alone in a new city.

2) My anxiety makes me overthink about finding new friends and flatmates. How was your experience.

Even if itโ€™s not Delhi I would love to hear about your experiences of tackling and surviving in a new city whilst starting from scratch.

Any and all tips & tricks are welcome or fellow members of the social anxiety club, would love your two cents.
Delhi is a safe, clean and vibrant metropolis. No doubt she does have her share of traffic jams at rush hour, but nothing close to how bad things get in Bengaluru or Mumbai. 30-50K per month will fetch you a real home in a decent part of Delhi or an awesome apartment in Noida/ Gurgaon (over a shoebox in Mumbai). The nightlife in Delhi is unparalleled. Pick any part of south Delhi and youโ€™ll be spoilt with options on places to party, chill, name it. The biggest draw for Delhi, in my opinion, is its proximity to the Himalayas. You can go hiking, fishing, rafting, paragliding and so much more. Essentially your life doesnโ€™t necessarily have to end at Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala, Goa or Alibaug. The roads in Delhi are mostly decent and well surveilled - so, safety wise, you are covered! Public transport is great too. The buses are going electric and the metro can take you to places where you wouldnโ€™t want to drive! Speaking of such places, Jama Masjid is a heaven for meat and biryani lovers and Chandni Chowk is the place for bespoke jewellery, fabrics and chaat! Avoid paranthe wali gali - itโ€™s overrated and they use stale oil. Dilli Haat and Dastakar are your go to places for crafts, clothes and food from across India. Dilli Haat has a vibe. Dastakar, not as much + itโ€™s expensive too. Delhi will spoil you with options if you are into art and theatre. There are so many art galleries near the courts. The people of Delhi are a warm and embracing bunch. Give Delhi a go. Am sure youโ€™ll love it.
As someone from Bangalore whoโ€™s living Delhi, this is all very much true. Apart from the climate (which is extreme in some months), Delhi is arguably the best tier-1 city in India, hands down.
Hey OP! Congratulations on the job! For context, I grew up in the North-East and when I graduated from law school I found myself in the very similar position that you are in right now. I had an offer from a law firm based in Mumbai and at the time options were quite scarce, so I did a whole eyes-closed-head-first thing and made the move.

I too had bouts of social anxiety and Mumbai being the grand city that it is didn't really help a lot, at least initially. I had no family, no friends, no social circle in the city and honestly, the first few weeks were really difficult. However, that came to pass. With time, things changes and inspite of crippling social anxiety, I seemed to find an interest in the city. I remember constantly telling myself to get out of my comfort zone and make conversation with people. This went a long way into helping me create my own circle in the city. I joined book clubs, cycling events, marathons, etc. I found time for myself, when I'd completely disconnect from the whole world and think.

And before I knew it, it had already been three years in the city.

Thereafter, I was looking for change, and that I got, through another job offer. Interestingly this job took me away from Mumbai, it brought me here in Delhi. I felt like the time, I stepped in Mumbai for the first time. New city, new people, unknown faces, etc. But again, time went, I found friends amongst my colleagues, my neighbours, got it touch with some prior contacts. And as things would have it, I had formed yet another social circle here in Delhi. I started liking the city, I started to appreciate the good things, I started to live.

I am sorry, if what I've written doesn't make a lot of sense, but all I aim trying to say is that always try and look at the silver lining. Step out of your comfort zone, start that conversation, attend that event/concert, accept that invitation, check out that new place, etc. You do a mix of these things and you'll eventually find a life in a new city. It has been eleven years that I have moved to Delhi and this is what feels like home.

Moreover, I won't try and sell you Delhi over Mumbai. There will never be a definite answer to which city is better. One, both have their own good and bad, and two, to each his own. As someone who wasn't from either of these cities, I absolutely despise the rental scenario in Mumbai. For any specific amount that would fetch me a 1BHK in Mumbai, I'd get a much bigger space here in Delhi and that has been a dealbreaker for me. I absolutely refuse to pay that much rent. Honestly, in the last few years, I have received outstanding offers from firms/organisations based in Mumbai, and I have rejected all of them for different reasons, one of which always being the rents.

Two, in hindsight, and having extensively used the Delhi Metro, I fear the Mumbai locals. The lack of crowds, air-conditioning, connectivity, etc., gives the Delhi Metro an edge over the Locals or the very limited Mumbai metro.

Three, and I mentioned this completely as a personal preference, I love the Delhi semi-arid/sub-tropical climate over the extreme tropical climate in Mumbai. Also, while I was in Mumbai, the monsoon made my life really difficult, while here in Delhi, it is quite the opposite and I have come to really look forward to the rains. Agreed, that sometimes, an excessive amount of rain can spell traffic trouble here in the NCR, but overall, I've always found it to be less inconvenient than in Mumbai.

Also, the roads. Mumbai roads have been suffering from congestion for a while now, and I still see that, when I travel to the city one every couple of months. Au contraire, Delhi has wider roads/streets and is a little more spread out making things teeny tiny bit simple. Delhi traffics can be a pain too but often times bearable, unlike the ones in Mumbai, which used to make me cry.

Well, those are some factors that made me prefer the NCR over Mumbai and I see life here. But as I mentioned earlier, to each his own. There are some glaring aspects where Mumbai has the upper hand, for instance AQI during the Diwali/crop-burning season, because otherwise both are equally bad these days and then there's the understanding of safety. Delhi is generally considered unsafe, partly because it might just be and partly because being the NCR, it gets relatively more media attention than the rest.

Nevertheless, I wish you the best for your time in Delhi and also your job! Have a great time!
Good points. This year Mumbai has had more worse AQI days than Delhi. So even that advantage is starting to disappear for Mumbai.
Delhi for sure. It is the only metropolitan city in India right now that doesnโ€™t leave you feeling othered or like an outsider. Youโ€™ll experience this in varying levels in Mumbai, Bengaluru, Calcutta and Hyderabad (if not in the offices then outside for sure)- through language to begin with. Bengaluru has the lousiest politicians of the lot: regional AS F**K; they donโ€™t deserve the funding, really ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿพโ€โ™‚๏ธ they are now forcing organisations to prominently display (like outside the building) the number of locals that are being employed in their offices. Pathetic. Calcutta is a lovely city which has been driven to the ground by the commies. The present dispensation is the final nail on the coffin, imo - they have successfully chased away not only whatever little was left of corporate India (excepting Tata Steel and ITC), but manufacturing too. Which should explain why so many Calcutta people are in Delhi and Mumbai. A pro corporate/ big business government could help Calcutta win back her erstwhile status of being Indiaโ€™s financial capital. Being a more cultured city than Mumbai, itโ€™ll make that crown look good again.

Itโ€™s easier to rent in Delhi. Your rent security is usually 2 months - unlike Mumbai and Bengaluru (where itโ€™s normal to take as much as a years rent in advance)! Crazy!!

Hyderabad can present both a cultural and language barrier to outsiders. Nevertheless it is developing rather well. Old Hyderabad is shit, irreverent and shouldnโ€™t be used as a point of reference when gauging your experience- unless you are litigating. I foresee good in-house opportunities there (lower rentals and cost of living expenses will allow you to save better).
Agree with this - Delhi is the only city where no one feels like an "outsider". It is easier to rent in Delhi as well. In general, it is a lot easier to settle-in in Delhi. This is coming from a person who's new to Delhi and relocated from one of the big 3 cities in India.
The comforts of Delhi outweigh all the cons.

Even with all the good things that Mumbai has to offer, Delhi is the better choice for lawyers in every way.
Delhi has been a preferred destination for both corporate and litigation lawyers for quite some time. So much so that many of the ambitious Bombay lawyers, litigators especially, are moving to Delhi. Sure, Bombay being the financial capital is a big draw for some, but only for a very specific set of corporate lawyers. Work culture is no longer a function of which city you live in, only if it's a choice between Delhi and Mumbai. There was a time when people found Delhi more laid back relative to Mumbai, but that has all changed now. The clichรฉs are a lot more blurred in 2024. You'll find pricks everywhere and both these cities have their fair share of them to ruin your experience. Not being a Marathi/ Gujju in Mumbai can leave you feeling othered or like an outsider in some offices/addresses.
As someone who travels alot, Delhi is the only city that makes you feel included, doesnt let you feel isolated or outsider, No language barrier, people are very welcoming, Rent is decent enough, Food is the best.

So the crux is, Delhi over any other city anyday.

Good Luck Mate.
Only if you reside in a Tier 1 gated Prestige or Adarsh Apartment/ Villa Complex and work in Big Tech with minimal travel time and have secured your kids' admission in an international school.
Delhi is the best city in India hands down, coming from someone who has lived in over 14 cities
Thank you everybody. I appreciate all the insights.

Kinda excited for Delhi now. A new beginning.