Read 5 comments as:
Filter By
The word toxic is thrown around at LI very easily. But let us define it. I have added some parameters. All will have a rating from 0 to 10. 0 being completely shit (or cry/anxiety-inducing) and 10 being extremely supportive, high-growth, and having a friendly culture. The parameters are:

1. Work-life balance.

2. Deadlines.

3. Mood of Partner/Big Boss.

4. Behaviour of colleagues, juniors, and seniors.

5. Competency of colleagues, juniors, or seniors (i.e., dumb, lazy, then 0, if extremely competent, then 10).

6. Overall mental and emotional health.

7. Physical health (i.e., if you have gained a lot of weight, then 0, if you are fit, then 10).

I have kept the toxicity benchmark 5 points below the mean, ergo, in total 7 parameters, i.e., 70 points, mean is 35, hence, if your team scores above 30, it is not toxic. Below 30, it is.

So, mention and rate your team according to these factors.

Feel free to add more factors. Keep the toxicity red line -5 from the mean, i.e., if you add 3 extra factors, then total points become 100. Hence, 50 will be mean, so 45 or above will be non-toxic.

Below it, it's toxic.
IMO, there's only one definition of Toxic - I.e. Internal politics. Workload, deadlines, competency etc isn't something which makes a team toxic, just part of life.