Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
why do so many people here scare others about working at some top law firms … like is it that bad?😭😭 ive not even started law school and im horrified about the work culture after graduating. is it as bad as they talk about over here or are some exaggerating?Help
Working in a law firm is not difficult

1. If you are competent

2. You take your work seriously

3. You don't mind failing, getting rebuked, can move on

4. can switch if you have a bad boss

5. You find a good mentor

6. You don't mind working hard

7. You are diligent

None of the work is rocket sciecne

Don't be hungry for recognition in early years, its not for you. Just make your boss successful. If this is ok with you, law firm is just fine.

don't let people discourage you if you want to work at a law firm

plus you can start your own law firm with some years of experience. Lots of clients with growing market and economy. Never have been a better time to be a lawyer.
Some are overplaying it esp in terms of people who i havent slept in days weeks etc. Here no sleep means minimum 3-4 hrs sleep every night and a good 6-7 hr sleep every now and then, and this kinda phase usually doesnt last more than a few weeks tops.

Coming to behavioural issues, im sorry to say there are some genuine psychos. I pray everyday that these people have a painful life ahead for all the suffering they cause to people who just wanted to earn a paycheck to pay the bills. They genuinely enjoy the meaningless game that law firm law (as opposed to real courtroom law) mostly is, because theyre one dimensional nerds who cant make it in the real world.

If its only the hours that scares you, dw and come aboard youll get used to it esp if youre in a nice healthily built team. If its the dehumanisation, STAY AWAY.
Don't sweat it kid! Take those with a pinch of salt. I've particularly heard A0s and A1s discuss to give their firm a bad rap here on LI, so that there's less competition.
Yeah, I'll be the villain!

I understand that you should know about what you're stepping into beforehand. Cool, but how does a kid who has not even entered the uni decide they want a firm job? You don't know law or even the type of work you can do.

I'd say third years at minimum is the time where one does have a skeletal idea of what they wanna do more specifically in law.

It's so baffling to discuss a job that you know nothing about. It's like me wanting opinions on how fun it is to be an engineer at Redbull F1.

I'm 100% sure most of those who replied are also kids in law schools at max. No way someone in a law firm would want to shell their own opinion of firms on a kid that has absolutely no idea. The best thing to do is to ask them to first do 2 semesters of law, then check out courts, intern in at least 3 different teams of firms and find out for yourself?

The tendency for law firm placement to become the sole criteria of choosing law has brought so many people that do not want to work here and are stuck and it's disheartening.

Importance of money: I get that law is expensive and expecting a good paying job is important. I came from a family that has tough times and called for a job. I took a firm job w/o thinking much because I needed money. As soon as I was comfortable, I left to join a chamber.

What I'm trying to say is that everything works out. You find your way, please focus on finding your toes landing on law first. Try and find something you like and money will come for sure.

Dispute resolution aside, there is no desk job that will be enjoyable, but it is for you to find out how much does money compensate you.
A 3-word comment posted 4 weeks ago was not published.