Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
This is their own office, not a shared office. These are the amenities they have:

- Gym

- Pool tables and TT tables

- PS gaming consoles

- Cafe with free fresh juices on tap

They also regularly give their employees movie tickets, spa coupons, free entry at nightclubs, gift vouchers etc.

Now tell me which law firm offers these?
β€œUpar terrace pe jaa kr cry karo” facility to hai hi nahi inke paas.
Most UK law firms offer these as well, and they make them work as rough as our 'law firms'. The difference is these millions of partners don't rake in the kind of dough the foreign partners do. Starting salary at a good law firm in the UK for a TC is 55,000 pounds that becomes 1,25,000 pounds once you get a perm position. In the USA, starting salary is 1,25,000 right out of law school in 'big law', some places go upto 2,00,000 dollars. Even adjusting for PPP, 19.5 lpa (only Trilegal) does not compute anywhere near 200000 dollars, especially in Mumbai or Delhi. We're being shafted on salaries. No need to give us perks, improve salaries for everyone across all firms and lit chambers.

Our entire industry is notoriously inefficient and low revenue generating - what makes you think the people who want associates to work 70+ hours a week for measly hourly pay (when converted - monthly pay/hours worked) will give them any such amenities as a firm policy?

There are some good partners who try and get their team members some stuff here and there, but nothing to really offset the misery of the intial years in law
You pay a lot more in tax in the UK than in India - like a LOT more (around 45-50% give or take). And cost of living is much higher (buying a house in London or getting childcare for babies or sending your children to private schools costs WAY more as a multiple of income than it does in India). Also you have to maintain your apartment and clean and cook and do laundry yourself (except maybe for a cleaner once a week).

Don't get me wrong - there are many good things about the UK and UK law firms (the main benefit is they tend to be more professional than most Indian firms and the training is better) but you can't compare apples to apples just by comparing incomes.

In fact if you're good, you're more likely to make more money in India by the time you get to partner level than the UK- except for the very top 5-10 law firms in the UK, a good CAM partner will make more than most partners in a UK firm, AND pay less tax, AND have lower living expenses.
I included both UK and USA - granted UK has a lot more taxation, but on the PPP basis Indians still get shafted on income after tax.

All associates across the world are miserable, but the UK & USA ones are miserable sitting in better luxury.
All magic circle firms about whom you are talking about are shit insan ko insan nhi samajhte wo
People tend to forget that most of these "MNCs" take a huge chunk out of their employees salaries to compensate for all these good to have services. I'd rather take the cash and buy my own juice if and when I please.
The least they can do is provide reasonable meals for free. Like atleast do breakfast and snacks for free. I think NDA has a buffet type pantry where you can get stuff like cereals, fruits, snacks, sandwiches etc free of charge for breakfast/evening snacks
I know a punjabi boutique firm in delhi that makes interns pay for coffee
Bro. Let me tell you one thing. Maine tera message pura bhi nahi pada but yeh batana zaruri tha.

When I was shortlisting my college, I chose a particular college because it had hundreds of acres big campus, a swimming pool, a movie theater, all sorts of sports facilities, fast food giants in-house, gaming arena, gym, etc. etc.

Mind you, all these facilities were very reasonably priced or free.

I literally had thought to myself that over 5 years I would not leave any of these facilities unused.

But hua kuch ni.

Cut to my job at a Tier 1 firm, I can tell you we had a steam/ shower facility, gym, recreational room etc. But since no one really used these things, the rooms were being used as a record room.

Toh yeh jo tune now tell me which law firm offers these pucha haina. Iska koi matlab nahi hai. Agar maangna hai toh time maang. Jitne paise tere retainer ke taxation mein waise bach jaaye unse yeh sab mauj masti karliyo.

TLDR - Ask for time not perks.