Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
I am a 2023 graduate who joined the B&F practice of a Tier-2 firm in Mumbai last year and had the best team I could ask for. I was placed through a PPO at the firm, and shared an excellent rapport with the team and partner. However, I was not inclined to work in this area, and wanted to make an early switch to another practice area of my interest (TMT). I approached the partner and spoke to her about it - she tried to reason with me at first, said I'd performed very well in my time there and to rethink my decision to leave - even offered me a break to take some time off and rethink. I did not want to take a break and keep them waiting as it'd be unfair for them to have someone not very interested in that particular practice area, so I decided to leave and look for other jobs. I could have left after having another job in hand - there were multiple reasons I did not do that. One, my mental health was in shambles, I know it's rare but although I absolutely loved the partner and my team, i absolutely disliked the practice area. Secondly, I have multiple TMT internships and a few moot achievements and I was confident to find a decent job after leaving. Due to a lack of direction and I'd say being desperate for a job in my final year, I thought I'd give a shot at this job, and took it up. The partner at my previous firm was so kind, she even offered to speak with her contacts in other firms on my behalf, if I needed her help. She went on to say that if I were to change my mind, I could return to the firm and I'd be welcome back. Now that I've quit, I want suggestions on what to do next...what is the ideal way of applying to firms as someone with 6 months pqe (so a fresher) in a different practice area...the only good thing is I shared an excellent rapport with my previous team, so I've no bad records. My academic credentials are also decent (graduated top 10% of the batch). I took some time off and worked on my mental health, had saved up enough to survive on my own for some time, and now will start the job application process. Any suggestions/insights will be helpful.
You've made it very obvious to us now. Wish you the best in finding your calling and you may return to us if it doesn't work out.
OP here. I was able to arrange an interview in the IP team of another tier-2 firm through contacts, the interview went well, and they offered me the position, but I was told the work did not involve trademarks/copyright/TMT work, and would revolve largely around biotechnology. I wasn't willing to work in that space, so I let it go. I took some time off ever since and now am in a better state mentally. Thanks. Hopefully something works out.
Which firm is this where u have such supportive people, would love to shift here laterally.
It's one of the firms in the Free Press House. Having worked there previously, I can say that it has an unmatched work culture, and even though the work is demanding and hours are sometimes long, you'll probably be working with some of the nicest people. That will alleviate your stress. Also, the partner in the B&F team is a gem of a person. If the firm had an IP/TMT practice, I would have continued without a second thought. Highly doubt if there are nicer people in similar firms.
Same story here - worked in a niche for only 6 months, didn’t like the area, so left. Without any offer in hand.

Took a short break to recover mentally.

Have started job hunting again now - definitely difficult but have given a few interview now - lets see how it goes.
Hey I have also quit within 6 months for the same reasons, have a great rapport with my team too! Will meet them soon after I get in someplace
Hey. As someone who left the B&F space and is a first generation lawyer with no legal family background.

Best option is to fall back on existing network - that means asking your college seniors who work in Gen Corp/ PE/ VC/ practice area you like - if their team is open to hiring new people. You’ll start as an A0 but they will get someone with 6 months experience.

Or track down B&F folks who have switched practice areas. Ask them how they are doing and see if they can recommend you somewhere.

mentally prepare to face multiple rejections but keep going.

Target Tier 2 firms as Tier 1 is more rigid about hiring folks from other practice areas. (although not impossible)/ target teams which do mix of B&F and Corp as they maybe more open to hiring you.

Lookout for all these Tier 1 partners who often breakaway and start their own boutique firms. They are looking out for people who want to work with them without the Tier 1 tag. You’ll get good exposure working there in a decent professional environment and they maybe be more open to hiring you.

Don’t end up in Capital Markets/ project finance just because you need a job. High chance that will make your mental health worse.

Most importantly- think outside the box - there are opportunities in various places, you just need to figure out where the market gap is.

All the best!
Hi, I have close to 1.5 years of PQE and I am considering making a move into B&F practice of either Tier-1 or Tier 2 law firm. I am currently working with a boutique law firm which does not specialize in B&F. What do you guys think where should I apply?
A 6-word comment posted 1 month ago was not published.